    I haven't entered the realm of DVD recording and am very new at it, but
    should this be that tough?

    Gerry Wolf
    Gerry Wolf, Feb 18, 2006

  2. Gerry Wolf

    Tony Guest

    "Gerry Wolf" <> wrote in message
    news:8iIJf.7300$-kc.rr.com...
    > CAn anyone recommend a nice DVD recording/capture program so I can
    > transfer my 8mm videotapes to DVD? I tried Nero, but the capture software,
    > NeroExpress simply will not open. No amount of installing and reinstalling
    > will get it to work and Nero isn't much help.
    >
    > I bought this thing so I could put together DVD's that will last and
    > contain the video lives of my family, but until I can get it to do just
    > that, I should just have let it be.
    >
    > I haven't entered the realm of DVD recording and am very new at it, but
    > should this be that tough?
    >
    > Gerry Wolf

    Trust me, it is tough. Nero isn't the best software to capture video. I
    use Studio 8 but have spent hours putting together a movie from holiday
    tapes only for the sound to be out of sync. on the DVD. Have also had it
    crash and lost the lot after hours of work!!

    Other programs I have tried are TMPGeng and DVD Santa but not yet found
    anything that can produce good results from digital tapes.

    For DVD's from VHS tapes, the software that came with the capture card I
    have (Winfast PVR) does an acceptable job for capturing then I use Nero to
    burn to DVD.

    It is not certain that burnt copies of DVD's will last indefinitely. I have
    read about DVD's becoming unreadable after 12 months so they are not a way
    to ensure your films will be available in the future. Tape is probably the
    best way, just do another copy of them every couple of years.
    Tony, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Gerry Wolf

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > "Gerry Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >> CAn anyone recommend a nice DVD recording/capture program so I can
    >> transfer my 8mm videotapes to DVD? I tried Nero, but the capture software,
    >> NeroExpress simply will not open. No amount of installing and reinstalling
    >> will get it to work and Nero isn't much help.
    >>
    >> I bought this thing so I could put together DVD's that will last and
    >> contain the video lives of my family, but until I can get it to do just
    >> that, I should just have let it be.
    >>
    >> I haven't entered the realm of DVD recording and am very new at it, but
    >> should this be that tough?
    >>
    >> Gerry Wolf

    > Trust me, it is tough. Nero isn't the best software to capture video. I
    > use Studio 8 but have spent hours putting together a movie from holiday
    > tapes only for the sound to be out of sync. on the DVD. Have also had it
    > crash and lost the lot after hours of work!!

    I guess you mean Ulead Video Studio 8? Far from being tough to convert
    8mm tapes to DVD, it is almost a no-brainer, providing you have adequate
    RAM (at least 1 gig), and plenty of hard drive space. I use it
    regularly, and have never had problems with audio out of sync.

    > Other programs I have tried are TMPGeng and DVD Santa but not yet found
    > anything that can produce good results from digital tapes.

    Don't know whether the OP is talking about the video coming from a
    digital tape via firewire or not, but if he is there are a plethora of
    programs to do the job, ranging from high end like Premiere Pro to ones
    bundled with a camcorder, such as Motion DV Studio bundled with the
    Panasonic cameras. For a beginner, Motion DV is excellent.

    > For DVD's from VHS tapes, the software that came with the capture card I
    > have (Winfast PVR) does an acceptable job for capturing then I use Nero to
    > burn to DVD.

    Yep, pretty easy to use program.

    > It is not certain that burnt copies of DVD's will last indefinitely. I have
    > read about DVD's becoming unreadable after 12 months so they are not a way
    > to ensure your films will be available in the future. Tape is probably the
    > best way, just do another copy of them every couple of years.

    Oh crap. Neither DVD nor VHS will last indefinitely, but careful
    storage and handling of both will minimize the problem.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Feb 19, 2006
  4. Gerry Wolf

    PC Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message

    snip
    > providing you have adequate RAM (at least 1 gig), and plenty of hard drive
    > space.

    snip

    Just backing Oldus Fartus on that comment, RAM and lots of it + fast SATA or
    SCSI drives makes for a much better experience.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Feb 19, 2006
  5. Gerry Wolf

    Tony Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    >
    > snip
    >> providing you have adequate RAM (at least 1 gig), and plenty of hard
    >> drive space.

    > snip
    >
    > Just backing Oldus Fartus on that comment, RAM and lots of it + fast SATA
    > or SCSI drives makes for a much better experience.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    I have 1gig ram, twin 120gb hard drives and Athlon XP3000. Must have a
    bottleneck somewhere. All works fine at 352 x 576 and a data rate of
    6000Kbps which is the equivalent of a VHS tape but if I try and push the
    resolution any higher, I start to get the sync problems.
    Tony, Feb 20, 2006
  6. Gerry Wolf

    Tony Guest

    > Tony wrote:
    >> "Gerry Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >>> CAn anyone recommend a nice DVD recording/capture program so I can
    >>> transfer my 8mm videotapes to DVD? I tried Nero, but the capture
    >>> software, NeroExpress simply will not open. No amount of installing and
    >>> reinstalling will get it to work and Nero isn't much help.
    >>>
    >>> I bought this thing so I could put together DVD's that will last and
    >>> contain the video lives of my family, but until I can get it to do just
    >>> that, I should just have let it be.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't entered the realm of DVD recording and am very new at it, but
    >>> should this be that tough?
    >>>
    >>> Gerry Wolf

    >> Trust me, it is tough. Nero isn't the best software to capture video. I
    >> use Studio 8 but have spent hours putting together a movie from holiday
    >> tapes only for the sound to be out of sync. on the DVD. Have also had it
    >> crash and lost the lot after hours of work!!
    >>

    > I guess you mean Ulead Video Studio 8? Far from being tough to convert
    > 8mm tapes to DVD, it is almost a no-brainer, providing you have adequate
    > RAM (at least 1 gig), and plenty of hard drive space. I use it
    > regularly, and have never had problems with audio out of sync.
    >
    >> Other programs I have tried are TMPGeng and DVD Santa but not yet found
    >> anything that can produce good results from digital tapes.
    >>

    > Don't know whether the OP is talking about the video coming from a digital
    > tape via firewire or not, but if he is there are a plethora of programs to
    > do the job, ranging from high end like Premiere Pro to ones bundled with a
    > camcorder, such as Motion DV Studio bundled with the Panasonic cameras.
    > For a beginner, Motion DV is excellent.
    >
    >> For DVD's from VHS tapes, the software that came with the capture card I
    >> have (Winfast PVR) does an acceptable job for capturing then I use Nero
    >> to burn to DVD.
    >>

    > Yep, pretty easy to use program.
    >
    >> It is not certain that burnt copies of DVD's will last indefinitely. I
    >> have read about DVD's becoming unreadable after 12 months so they are not
    >> a way to ensure your films will be available in the future. Tape is
    >> probably the best way, just do another copy of them every couple of
    >> years.
    >>

    > Oh crap. Neither DVD nor VHS will last indefinitely, but careful storage
    > and handling of both will minimize the problem.

    Studio 8 is by Pinnacle and I was referring to digital tapes, not VHS. You
    cannot copy a raw 45 minute digital tape to a DVD, there's not enough room
    and from some articles I have read, DVD's that were stored carefully have
    become unreadable in twelve months. It doesn't matter how the disks are
    stored, it won't make a bad dye good. Any producer can release a batch with
    bad dye and there is no way of knowing until you try and play the disk maybe
    months later and it has errors.

    Its a no brainer if you are happy with slightly better than VHS quality but
    I want better than that.
    Tony, Feb 20, 2006