    The Panasonic AO5 DVD burner on my computer does not recognise the RAM
    disks.

    How can I get round this?

    ziggy-wiggy, Feb 11, 2004

  2. ziggy-wiggy

    joel Guest

    "ziggy-wiggy" <> a écrit dans le message de news:c0dbl7$k18$1$...
    | I have a Panasonic E-50 DVD-RAM recorder, to record TV broadcasts onto DVD
    | RAM discs.
    |
    | I want to be able to copy the DVD RAM disks on my computer so that I can
    | burn them back onto cheap DVD-R disks and free up my expensive DVD RAM
    | disks.
    |
    | The Panasonic AO5 DVD burner on my computer does not recognise the RAM
    | disks.
    |
    | How can I get round this?

    In my opinion, you need to buy a universal DVD recorder. There are
    very few such model.

    For example: Iomega Super DVD

    http://minilien.com/?b2lux1e6li

    joel

    joel, Feb 11, 2004

  3. ziggy-wiggy

    ziggy-wiggy Guest

    I've been having a scout around and it looks like I may have to buy a new
    DVD writer for my computer.

    'im looking at the panasonic 107.

    thanks anyway

    ziggy-wiggy, Feb 11, 2004
  4. ziggy-wiggy

    P Pron Guest

    ziggy-wiggy wrote:
    > I've been having a scout around and it looks like I may have to buy

    > new DVD writer for my computer.
    >
    > 'im looking at the panasonic 107.
    >
    > thanks anyway

    Don't forget that you only need to _read_ DVD-RAM, not write it....

    Unless you've got a reason to buy a new writer anyway, you could just
    get a DVD-RAM compatible ROM drive to get the recorded discs copied
    onto your hard disc for editing.

    paul

    P Pron, Feb 12, 2004
  5. ziggy-wiggy

    TCS Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:06:29 -0000, P Pron <> wrote:
    >ziggy-wiggy wrote:
    >> I've been having a scout around and it looks like I may have to buy

    >> new DVD writer for my computer.
    >>
    >> 'im looking at the panasonic 107.
    >>
    >> thanks anyway

    >Don't forget that you only need to _read_ DVD-RAM, not write it....

    especially if reading blank media is your idea of fun.

    on a clear disk you can seek forever.

    TCS, Feb 12, 2004
  6. ziggy-wiggy

    P Pron Guest

    TCS wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:06:29 -0000, P Pron
    > <> wrote:
    >> ziggy-wiggy wrote:
    >>> I've been having a scout around and it looks like I may have to

    buy
    >>> new DVD writer for my computer.
    >>>
    >>> 'im looking at the panasonic 107.
    >>>
    >>> thanks anyway

    >> Don't forget that you only need to _read_ DVD-RAM, not write it....

    > especially if reading blank media is your idea of fun.
    >

    > on a clear disk you can seek forever.

    Not understood.

    According to the original post, Mr Wiggy wants to transfer movies
    recorded on a Panasonic E-50 recorder onto his HD, then burn them to
    DVD-R, freeing up the more expensive DVD-RAM discs that the Panasonic
    uses.

    To achieve this, he needs to be able to _read_ DVD-RAM discs, not
    write them.

    His existing burner will be doing the writing - onto DVD-R discs.

    The _DVD-RAM_ writing is done on the Panasonic E-50 recorder, so they
    won't be blank - they'll have movies on them - until he reformats them
    to use again.

    Or have I missed some subtle point?

    paul

    P Pron, Feb 13, 2004
  7. ziggy-wiggy

    sanpablo Guest

    I picked up an older Panasonic DVD-RAM drive/recorder . You can
    find these on Ebay for around $50 or even less.

    I use TMPGEnc DVD Author ($68)
    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

    to convert the DVD-RAM disks from my Panasonic DMR-E80H to DVD-R.
    Works very well.

    sanpablo, Feb 13, 2004
  8. ziggy-wiggy

    ziggy-wiggy Guest

    > According to the original post, Mr Wiggy wants to transfer movies
    > recorded on a Panasonic E-50 recorder onto his HD, then burn them to
    > DVD-R, freeing up the more expensive DVD-RAM discs that the Panasonic
    > uses.
    >
    > To achieve this, he needs to be able to _read_ DVD-RAM discs, not
    > write them.
    >
    > His existing burner will be doing the writing - onto DVD-R discs.
    >
    > The _DVD-RAM_ writing is done on the Panasonic E-50 recorder, so they
    > won't be blank - they'll have movies on them - until he reformats them
    > to use again.

    Yes Paul you are correct.

    I have had a scout round the net for a RAM reader which has a decent read
    speed but they all seem to be quite slow. The Panasonic 107 reads RAM at
    only 2x and does not write to RAM disks.

    SVP http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/index.html have the the 107 in stock for
    less than £100 which is the cheapest I've seen.

    Therefore, for the extra £50 or so that is would cost for the ability to
    write dvd+r's or dvd-r's at 8 speed over a dedicated RAM reader, I still
    think I'll stick with the 107.

    thanks for your help.

    ziggy-wiggy, Feb 13, 2004