    I may need to replace the Panasonic. I need to replace it with something
    that lets me record everything.

    --- Uncle Dave
    UncleDave, Mar 15, 2008

  2. UncleDave

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sat, 15 Mar 2008 06:26:52 -0600 from <"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)
    sasktel.net>>:
    > SO, my question is: what other models besides panasonic will allow you to
    > record anything off tv. Or, expressed another way, what models shut down
    > when they encounter record-blocking signals? There's no way of knowing when
    > you read the boxes in teh store, and by the time you get it home, it's too
    > late.

    Not really. Ask the salesperson, and make sure s/he knows that this
    is a make-or-break for you. This invokes the implied warranty of
    fitness for a particular purpose, and if the unit won't perform to
    the promised purpose you can return it for a full refund under the
    Uniform Commercial Code, which is law in almost every state.

    However ...

    I'm not sure, but I think it's law that every new recorder has to
    honor the do-not-record signals, so I doubt you're likely to find one
    that doesn't.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Mar 15, 2008

  3. "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > Sat, 15 Mar 2008 06:26:52 -0600 from <"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)
    > sasktel.net>>:
    >> SO, my question is: what other models besides panasonic will allow you to
    >> record anything off tv. Or, expressed another way, what models shut down
    >> when they encounter record-blocking signals? There's no way of knowing
    >> when
    >> you read the boxes in teh store, and by the time you get it home, it's
    >> too
    >> late.

    "Dave"(sic), this is (Probably/ Most Likely) the "Last" (or "Near-To-Last")
    Assistance that I'm going to give you, not because of any *ahem* "Personal
    Experiences* that we have had (etc etc), but since I am a "Professional",
    (despite Whatever "Endlessly Repeated Outdated, Obsolete, Bullshit-du-jour"
    is thrown at me, about me, yada yada yada,) I feel I probably should throw
    in MY $0.02 on the subject-at-hand.

    Yes, this "record-blocking signals" COULD be *Law* (yada yada), but there is
    a SIMPLE, THREE-LETTER "Fix" for these "signals", all the way from "very
    cheap" to "very expensive" (One has to "Shop Wisely" as well as "Moderately"
    ((as in one does not have to "Break The Bank" Purchasing this "Item"))):

    "T.B.C.!"

    as in:

    "Time Base Corrector". NOT, "despite" the 'MPAA's' OBJECTIONS (since it was
    "Invented over in SWEDEN, where the MPAA has NO JURISDICTION (they already
    TRIED and FAILED to "claim that They did", and was "Rather Wisely
    Countersued")) "Illegal to OWN, SELL, OR 'Purchase'" from ANYONE in the
    World to ANYONE ELSE in the World, these "Little Black Boxes" CORE
    "Programming" is to take CARE of these "Record-Blocking Signals".

    1>Google for "TBC"/ "Time Base Corrector" and definitely READ REVIEWS before
    BUYING any Unit from Anyone.http://www.videohelp.com is an "Excellent
    SOURCE" for "Reviews AND 'shoppers' alike to "Cross-compare/ Share
    Experiences" etc etc.

    2>Buy a "Good Unit", based upon "All 'Deciding Factors" including
    "Disposable Income, Reviews, aka the 'Usual'.

    3>Take the "Long Yellow Cord" (Typical Video Cord) FROM "Playback VCR/ DVD
    Unit" TO said "TBC 'Video IN Port" (should be clearly labeled). Take "Other
    Long Yellow Cord" (should have '2' Handy for the 'whole of Step #3') FROM
    "Video OUT" from "TBC" INTO "Video IN" of "DVD Recorder/ Computer/ other
    VCR/ whatever".

    4>Press Play on "Playback Machine". Be sure and give Yourself a "Few Seconds
    Lee-way Time" BEFORE said "Feature Presentation" begins (aka "This Film is
    Rated 'Yada-Yada" for 'Yada-Yada" SHOULD be "Recorded by the
    PVR/DVR/'Original SOURCE Recording")

    5>Hit "Record" on "Recording Machine whenever 'Appropriate to BEGIN (use Own
    self's((or Own selves anyway)) 'Judgment.) May Require a 'Learning Curve
    before 'Perfected'.

    6> POOF! "Hit STOP" at "End of Source Playback" (or a SECOND or TWO 'just
    before').

    7>Repeat "Steps 4-6" to your "Hearts Desire". So Long as "TBC Unit" is
    "Between 'Playback Unit' and 'Recording Unit' NO MORE 'Record-Blocking
    Signals EVER AGAIN (again,"Should Be", anyway), be sure and "Shop Smart" and
    other "Steps 1-2 Instructions".

    That simple (well, In-A-Nutshell anyway, LOL)
    Kantica22 @ Nydenempire.com, Mar 15, 2008
  4. UncleDave

    Rob Guest

    "UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
    >I have two DVD recorders -- a Panasonic and an LG. The Panny seems to be
    >acting upa lot and may need to be replaced. The LG won't record on certain
    >channels from my satellite service - ie the movie chnnels and a few others.
    >What happens is the program will start and after about five seconds, I get
    >a message that says "record-blocking signals have been detected".
    >
    > SO, my question is: what other models besides panasonic will allow you to
    > record anything off tv. Or, expressed another way, what models shut down
    > when they encounter record-blocking signals? There's no way of knowing
    > when you read the boxes in teh store, and by the time you get it home,
    > it's too late.
    >
    > I may need to replace the Panasonic. I need to replace it with something
    > that lets me record everything.
    >
    > --- Uncle Dave

    When my Panny quits, if it's replacement will not allow recording off the
    movie channels, I will simply cancel the channels. The movies I want to
    watch on these channels (I have 6 of them) are never on when I want to watch
    them, so they are only useful to me if I can do timeshifted viewing.

    Rob
    Canada
    Rob, Mar 15, 2008
  5. UncleDave

    PapaBear Guest

    > When my Panny quits, if it's replacement will not allow recording off the
    > movie channels, I will simply cancel the channels. The movies I want to
    > watch on these channels (I have 6 of them) are never on when I want to
    > watch them, so they are only useful to me if I can do timeshifted viewing.

    Then forget about cable and satellite TV. Rent the movies on DVD through the
    mail. Subscribe to Netflix or Blockbuster, or the equivalent in Canada. It's
    a lot cheaper and better quality too.
    PapaBear, Mar 16, 2008
  6. UncleDave

    Jerry Guest

    >I have two DVD recorders -- a Panasonic and an LG. The Panny seems to be
    >acting upa lot and may need to be replaced. The LG won't record on certain
    >channels from my satellite service - ie the movie chnnels and a few others.
    >What happens is the program will start and after about five seconds, I get
    >a message that says "record-blocking signals have been detected".
    >
    > SO, my question is: what other models besides panasonic will allow you to
    > record anything off tv. Or, expressed another way, what models shut down
    > when they encounter record-blocking signals? There's no way of knowing
    > when you read the boxes in teh store, and by the time you get it home,
    > it's too late.
    >
    > I may need to replace the Panasonic. I need to replace it with something
    > that lets me record everything.
    >
    > --- Uncle Dave

    I don't think there is a way of knowing which dvd recorders will work when
    trying to record certain channels off of your satellite service. I have a
    Panny dvd recorder with hard drive and a newer Zenith combo dvd/vhs
    recorder. When I tried to record the Sopranos off of analog cable on the A
    & E channel I found that my Panny would work but the newer Zenith would not.
    I got basically the same message but I thought it said something about
    copyrighted material.
    Jerry, Mar 16, 2008
  7. UncleDave

    UncleDave Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > "UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
    >>I have two DVD recorders -- a Panasonic and an LG. The Panny seems to be
    >>acting upa lot and may need to be replaced. The LG won't record on
    >>certain channels from my satellite service - ie the movie chnnels and a
    >>few others. What happens is the program will start and after about five
    >>seconds, I get a message that says "record-blocking signals have been
    >>detected".
    >>
    >> SO, my question is: what other models besides panasonic will allow you to
    >> record anything off tv. Or, expressed another way, what models shut down
    >> when they encounter record-blocking signals? There's no way of knowing
    >> when you read the boxes in teh store, and by the time you get it home,
    >> it's too late.
    >>
    >> I may need to replace the Panasonic. I need to replace it with something
    >> that lets me record everything.
    >>
    >> --- Uncle Dave

    > I don't think there is a way of knowing which dvd recorders will work when
    > trying to record certain channels off of your satellite service. I have a
    > Panny dvd recorder with hard drive and a newer Zenith combo dvd/vhs
    > recorder. When I tried to record the Sopranos off of analog cable on the
    > A & E channel I found that my Panny would work but the newer Zenith would
    > not. I got basically the same message but I thought it said something
    > about copyrighted material.

    Yes, and to further complicate things, I am currently recording from PVR to
    the LG a program that was aired on one of the movie channels, leading me to
    think that maybe it's the program itself rather thann the channel that has
    the signals on it. eg. HBO stuff like The Sopranos and Deadwood and The
    Wire wouldn't record to the LG, but ReGenesis reruns are, so far, anyway.

    --- Uncle Dave
    UncleDave, Mar 16, 2008
  8. UncleDave

    UncleDave Guest

    "Deke" <no > wrote in message

    > "UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    >> > "UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message

    > be

    > down

    > something

    >> > I don't think there is a way of knowing which dvd recorders will work

    > when
    >> > trying to record certain channels off of your satellite service. I
    >> > have

    >> > Panny dvd recorder with hard drive and a newer Zenith combo dvd/vhs
    >> > recorder. When I tried to record the Sopranos off of analog cable on

    > the
    >> > A & E channel I found that my Panny would work but the newer Zenith

    > would
    >> > not. I got basically the same message but I thought it said something
    >> > about copyrighted material.
    >> >

    >> Yes, and to further complicate things, I am currently recording from PVR

    >> the LG a program that was aired on one of the movie channels, leading me

    >> think that maybe it's the program itself rather thann the channel that
    >> has
    >> the signals on it. eg. HBO stuff like The Sopranos and Deadwood and The
    >> Wire wouldn't record to the LG, but ReGenesis reruns are, so far, anyway.
    >>
    >> --- Uncle Dave
    >>

    > I believe the Do Not Copy flags are set by the producers of the material,
    > not the channel. While it may copy on an analog device, the flag triggers
    > the Do Not Copy code built into the digital recording device. Do a
    > Google.

    Good suggestion.
    UncleDave, Mar 16, 2008
  9. UncleDave

    Deke Guest

    > I have two DVD recorders -- a Panasonic and an LG. The Panny seems to be
    > acting upa lot and may need to be replaced. The LG won't record on

    certain
    > channels from my satellite service - ie the movie chnnels and a few

    others.
    > What happens is the program will start and after about five seconds, I get

    > message that says "record-blocking signals have been detected".
    >
    > SO, my question is: what other models besides panasonic will allow you to
    > record anything off tv. Or, expressed another way, what models shut down
    > when they encounter record-blocking signals? There's no way of knowing

    when
    > you read the boxes in teh store, and by the time you get it home, it's too
    > late.
    >
    > I may need to replace the Panasonic. I need to replace it with something
    > that lets me record everything.
    >
    > --- Uncle Dave

    FWIW, I inserted a "Scrubber-enhancer" (SIMA Go-DVD) into the video circuit
    from satellite (Dish Network 722 HDDVR) to JVC VCR/DVD recorder (DR-MV1S),
    and I have never gotten a "Cannot Copy" warning when transferring SD stuff
    to DVD. Works for copying DVD's and VHS tapes too.
    (for personal use only, of course).
    For the HD stuff, I transfer it to a 500GB external hard drive.
    Copying it, so far, is SD only.
    Since the Macrovision and HDCP schemes are now a way of life,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP, the investment in
    "enhancers" is a necessity. For personal use only, of course. Its now
    possible to find, on ebay, and Google, an "enhancer" that will remove
    certain HDCP data chains from component video signals.

    Deke, Mar 16, 2008
  10. UncleDave

    Deke Guest

    Deke, Mar 16, 2008
  11. The solution to this problem is simple: use a digital time base
    corrector.
    You want a full-frame TBC, not the single-line el cheapo "enhancers"
    or
    "anti-copyguard" units often sold for $30 or $40.

    The cheapest good quality TBC I know of is the AVT 8710, which
    retails for around $200. This is actually pretty cheap compared to the
    typical time base corrector, and the AVT 8710 does just as good a
    job IMHO as TBC costing $1000 or more.

    BTW, a TBC will also produce significantly better looking transfers
    from your old VHS tapes, since a TBC basically wiped out the sync
    track from a VHS tape and digitally regenerates it, including the
    vertical blanking interval, so the colors on VHS transfer looks more
    vibrant and clearer and there's no flickering picture caused
    by sloppy sync from the magnetic VHS tape (which does tend to fade
    over time, like all magnetically recorded analog signals).

    As long as TV continues to be broadcast in analog format, or can
    be transferred to an analog format e.g., by a set-top HDTV-to-analog
    converter box, a digital time base corrector will _always_ let you
    record to an analog DVD recorder. So it's a pretty good investment.

    Also, if you own any of the video capture cards that suffer from
    excessive sensitivity to sync signals (like the well-known
    hypersensitive
    ATI All In WOnder series), you'll find a TBC a real godsend.
    electrochrome, Mar 24, 2008
  12. UncleDave

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, electrochrome <> wrote:
    >The solution to this problem is simple: use a digital time base
    >corrector.
    >You want a full-frame TBC, not the single-line el cheapo "enhancers"
    >or
    >"anti-copyguard" units often sold for $30 or $40.
    >
    >The cheapest good quality TBC I know of is the AVT 8710, which
    >retails for around $200. This is actually pretty cheap compared to the
    >typical time base corrector, and the AVT 8710 does just as good a
    >job IMHO as TBC costing $1000 or more.
    >
    >BTW, a TBC will also produce significantly better looking transfers
    >from your old VHS tapes, since a TBC basically wiped out the sync
    >track from a VHS tape and digitally regenerates it, including the
    >vertical blanking interval, so the colors on VHS transfer looks more
    >vibrant and clearer and there's no flickering picture caused
    >by sloppy sync from the magnetic VHS tape (which does tend to fade
    >over time, like all magnetically recorded analog signals).
    >
    >As long as TV continues to be broadcast in analog format, or can
    >be transferred to an analog format e.g., by a set-top HDTV-to-analog
    >converter box, a digital time base corrector will _always_ let you
    >record to an analog DVD recorder. So it's a pretty good investment.
    >
    >Also, if you own any of the video capture cards that suffer from
    >excessive sensitivity to sync signals (like the well-known
    >hypersensitive
    >ATI All In WOnder series), you'll find a TBC a real godsend.

    While I agree that the a TBC has it purposes, I am not going to claim that
    its a magic box that will cure all ills. It won't fix poorly tracking tapes
    etc.

    I do agree anyone serious about tape transfer to a video capture card, or
    tape to tape, or tape to DVD recorder would be wise to buy one and use one,
    but they are not a magic box that will always automatically take garbage in
    and ALWAYS provide perfect video out.

    Plus they have this uncanny ability to strip macrovision from the
    signal (grin)

    BTW, you dont get time based errors coming from a digital device like a STB or
    other non-heterodyne devices like them.
    GMAN, Mar 24, 2008
  13. That's absoultely right. A TBC will not fix tapes that have visible
    extreme mistaacking, like for example an old tape that fills up
    with static or whose picture goes out because it no longer
    tracks correctly. If anything I said implied that, mea culpa.

    What a TBC will do is improve the transfer quality of tapes which
    have small (often non-visible) errors in the tracking. Most older
    VHS tapes which were recorded on another machine, especially
    6 hr tapes, tend to wear and fade as they age, and this affects
    the tracking. Because the tracking signal is analog, it can slide
    out of sync somewhat and the tape will still play, but the picture
    may change in color or shiver or bend at the top or the bottom.
    A TBC will fix those problems.

    If the tape doesn't track at all, however, a TBC won't help. In
    that event I've found that older Sharp brand VCRs will often
    track tapes that won't play correctly on any other machine.
    In fact, I recently transferred a factory master of the 1987
    film NIGHTFLYERS that wouldn't track on any of my other
    VCRs, but _did_ track perfectly on my Sharp VCR that I
    keep around for that very purpose. Also, sometimes you can
    get a mistracking old VHS tape to play back correclty by
    playing it on an older 80s-era VCR with a manual tracking
    knob, by fiddling with the tracking knob. But these are
    hardware solutions. A TBC won't help you if you have an
    older VHS tapes that radically mistracks to the point where
    the whole picture turns to garbage.
    electrochrome, Mar 25, 2008