    video tapes onto DVD)

    If they do, how easy is it to turn off???

    TIA
    S, Nov 30, 2004

  2. S

    Eric Guest

    Hello to answer your questions. First there are several type of dvd
    recorders out there and they record either to dvd-r, and dvd-rw, or dvd+r,
    dvd+rw, or dvd-ram. There are several cheap dvd recorders out there like the
    ilo for 150.00 but they are very problematic and do not do a very good job
    for reocrding anything over two hours. The best ones to get are the JVC,
    Panasonic, Pioneer, and Sony. They are the best ones as far as quality and
    overall features goes. I have a panasonic and it does a real nice job
    quality wise and it records on dvd-r and dvd-ram. I only use dvd-r and also
    the Panasonic DMR e 55 has a built in time base corrector to help fix any
    tape video errors they come common with vhs tapes. Also on the Macrovision
    part all the dvd recorders wont allow you to record any dvd's or any vhs
    tapes with copy protection on them. If you do want to make back ups and for
    that purpose only there is the Sima SCC2 video color corrector or the Sima
    Go dvd video enhancer that will allow you to do so. There is also other
    items that can allow you to make backups as well. You can go to
    www.videohelp.com and they have everything you can want to know about dvd
    recorders as well as other stuff.

    Eric

    Eric, Nov 30, 2004

  3. S

    S Guest

    Thanks for all the info Eric.

    S, Nov 30, 2004
  4. S

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:40:44 -0000, "S" <somitdotsenatbaesystems>
    wrote:

    >I was thinking of getting one this week and was wondering what i should be
    >looking out for.

    If you plan to use it to record TV shows then I would definitely look
    for a model that lets you record and play at the same time. It's a
    great time saver being able to watch a previously recorded show and
    skip the commercials while another show is being recorded, which you
    can then watch later and again skip the ads.

    >Also, do the DVD players have Macrovision etc... (I wanna back up some of my
    >video tapes onto DVD)

    Usually you can't copy protected tapes, though my Panasonic E75 fails
    to detect the protection on about half the commercial video tapes I
    own. I suspect it is only looking for the "do not copy" flag or it may
    only detect certain types of Macrovision.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Nov 30, 2004
  5. "S" <somitdotsenatbaesystems> wrote:

    >I was thinking of getting one this week and was wondering what i should be
    >looking out for.
    >
    >Also, do the DVD players have Macrovision etc... (I wanna back up some of my
    >video tapes onto DVD)
    >
    >If they do, how easy is it to turn off???
    >
    >TIA

    Whichever one you decide upon, be sure to check out epinions.com
    before you buy.

    PL

    Paul LEFEBVRE
    londonpaul@*removethis*sympatico.ca
    Visit my website!
    http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99
    Paul LEFEBVRE, Nov 30, 2004
  6. S

    nickmed Guest

    Do all DVD Recorders have the ability to skip over commercials or is this a
    special feature I have to look for.
    Does anyone know how this works? Can I set it to automatically skip the
    commercials during playback or do I have to FF manually when it reaches a
    commercial.

    This is the most important feature I am looking for as I have had a VCR for
    years that sets markers at the beginning and end of the commercials and
    automatically skips over them.

    Thanks
    Nick

    nickmed, Nov 30, 2004
  7. S

    Biz Guest

    "nickmed" <> wrote in message
    > Do all DVD Recorders have the ability to skip over commercials or is this

    > special feature I have to look for.
    > Does anyone know how this works? Can I set it to automatically skip the
    > commercials during playback or do I have to FF manually when it reaches a
    > commercial.
    >
    > This is the most important feature I am looking for as I have had a VCR

    for
    > years that sets markers at the beginning and end of the commercials and
    > automatically skips over them.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Nick

    What make/model of vcr does this automatically, cos I would love to have
    one. How does it know when a commercial is coming on vs. a fade to black
    scene change?
    Biz, Nov 30, 2004
  8. S

    Tarkus Guest

    On 11/30/2004 1:27:34 PM, Biz wrote:

    > What make/model of vcr does this automatically, cos I would love to
    > have one. How does it know when a commercial is coming on vs. a fade
    > to black scene change?

    Maybe it knows by the 50% increase in volume. ;)
    --
    "The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will
    find you if you want it to."
    Tarkus, Nov 30, 2004
  9. S

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:27:34 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >"nickmed" <> wrote in message
    >> Do all DVD Recorders have the ability to skip over commercials or is this

    >> special feature I have to look for.
    >> Does anyone know how this works? Can I set it to automatically skip the
    >> commercials during playback or do I have to FF manually when it reaches a
    >> commercial.
    >>
    >> This is the most important feature I am looking for as I have had a VCR

    >for
    >> years that sets markers at the beginning and end of the commercials and
    >> automatically skips over them.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Nick
    >>

    >What make/model of vcr does this automatically, cos I would love to have
    >one. How does it know when a commercial is coming on vs. a fade to black
    >scene change?

    I believe those VCRs look for the second or two of blank screen that
    sometimes comes before and after the commercials. However, with some
    networks using bumpers instead of a blank screen and others, like CBS,
    leaving their logo on when the screen would otherwise be blank, I'm
    not sure how well the auto commercial skip feature still works?

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Dec 1, 2004
  10. S

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:29:37 GMT, "nickmed" <>
    wrote:

    >Do all DVD Recorders have the ability to skip over commercials or is this a
    >special feature I have to look for.
    >Does anyone know how this works? Can I set it to automatically skip the
    >commercials during playback or do I have to FF manually when it reaches a
    >commercial.

    If you want it to be automatic you'll have to look for the feature.
    Most DVD recorders though should have some type of commercial skip
    button for jumping ahead 30 or 60 seconds during playback. Some
    recorders also let you edit recordings made to DVD-RAM or DVD-RW to
    remove the commercials before watching the program. Removing the
    commercials also frees up space on the disc for other recordings.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Dec 1, 2004
  11. S

    Biz Guest

    "Jon Purkey" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:27:34 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >
    > >"nickmed" <> wrote in message
    > >> Do all DVD Recorders have the ability to skip over commercials or is

    this
    > >> special feature I have to look for.
    > >> Does anyone know how this works? Can I set it to automatically skip

    the
    > >> commercials during playback or do I have to FF manually when it reaches

    > >> commercial.
    > >>
    > >> This is the most important feature I am looking for as I have had a VCR

    > >for
    > >> years that sets markers at the beginning and end of the commercials and
    > >> automatically skips over them.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Nick
    > >>

    > >What make/model of vcr does this automatically, cos I would love to have
    > >one. How does it know when a commercial is coming on vs. a fade to

    black
    > >scene change?

    > I believe those VCRs look for the second or two of blank screen that
    > sometimes comes before and after the commercials. However, with some
    > networks using bumpers instead of a blank screen and others, like CBS,
    > leaving their logo on when the screen would otherwise be blank, I'm
    > not sure how well the auto commercial skip feature still works?

    Thats why I asked nickmed for more info, but it seems he is MIA....

    I dont know how a VCR(or any device) could tell the difference between a
    fade to black scene change and a commercial break.
    Biz, Dec 1, 2004
  12. S

    Larry Guest

    In article <K6qrd.1011997$>,
    says...
    > Thats why I asked nickmed for more info, but it seems he is MIA....
    >
    > I dont know how a VCR(or any device) could tell the difference between a
    > fade to black scene change and a commercial break.

    "Fade to black" in the content of a TV show is usually actually "fade to very
    dark but not completely black". The "Black" insert before a commercial is
    usually a "full black".

    If you watch a current Major Network telecast with the brightness set just a
    "little" higher than normal, you can see the difference.

    Local stations dont usually exhibit this difference.

    I have several VCRs that are supposed to do the "skip commercial" trick, but
    I've never seen one do it reliably. Sometimes you can miss a minute of the
    show, sometimes you get some of the commercials, sometimes you get 'em all.

    If you use a DVD recorder in 1 hour, 2 hour, or 4 hour mode, you can edit out
    the commercials using TMPGenc Mpeg editor. (it will load .vob files as if
    they were .MPG or .MP2 files.

    If you use the 6 hour mode, you IMPORT the .vob files which is a little
    slower.

    Of course all of this requires you to have a pretty fast computer. (2 ghz or
    more).

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Dec 1, 2004
  13. S

    nickmed Guest

    Biz,
    Sorry about the delay with my response.
    It's a Panasonic PV-VS4821 . It has commercial advance. Commercial skip is
    the one that you can skip forward in 30 second or 1 minute intervals.
    Commercial Advance records a program then goes back to the start of the
    recording and finds the pauses before and after the commercials and sets
    markers which when the recording is played back advances rapidly over the
    commercial. It works right about 95% of the time. That's why I'm looking for
    a DVD Recorder that does the same. From the messages here it looks like
    there are DVD Recorders that have a commercial skip feature or I can go
    through the recording and mark the commercials myself but then I would be
    seeing parts of the program in advance which is what I'd like to avoid.

    Nick

    nickmed, Dec 1, 2004
  14. S

    Biz Guest

    I see now, so it actually jsut records everything, and puts index marks
    where it thinks the commercials are at, that makes sense, but it certainly
    would make more sense and save time if the recording device would just
    insert the indexes during the recording process instead of after.

    Biz, Dec 2, 2004
  15. S

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:34:12 GMT, "nickmed" <>
    wrote:

    > From the messages here it looks like
    >there are DVD Recorders that have a commercial skip feature or I can go
    >through the recording and mark the commercials myself but then I would be
    >seeing parts of the program in advance which is what I'd like to avoid.

    Before watching a show I first set chapter breaks before and after the
    commercials. I do this by hitting pause and then use commercial skip
    to jump ahead a minute or two at a time. I'm only seeing one frame
    ever minute or two so there are no spoilers. When I get to a
    commercial frame (usually the first frame without the network logo) I
    back up to the start of the commercials and set a chapter break. I
    then FFwd and set another chapter break at the end of the commercials.
    Once I've set chapter breaks for all commercials I then delete the all
    commercial chapters. I have a Panasonic recorder.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Dec 2, 2004