    case I want to send a DVD I created (not pirated) to friends or family? Are
    there any DVD recorders that can record in ALL formats?

    thanks
    Mikey, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Mikey

    Trevor S Guest

    (Mikey) wrote in
    news::

    > I am looking into purchasing a DVD recorder (stand alone not computer)
    > and was wondering which version would be more compatible with DVD
    > players in case I want to send a DVD I created (not pirated) to
    > friends or family? Are there any DVD recorders that can record in ALL
    > formats?

    The new SONY can record to +RW -R and -RW (no +R).
    Personally I think the Pansonis are the cream of the crop, you might as
    well stick to VHS, as none of them have timeslip (an absolute must have for
    me) I also find I get more use out of my HDD model. I record some ESPN
    for a friend from time to time, when I moved from VHS to DVD, he
    simpily purchased a -RAM compatabe DVD player.

    I often reauthor on my PC to -R (cutting out ad's, putting in fancy menus
    etc), , TMPGEnc DVD Author supports the Pansonic -RAM VRO files direct from the -RAM DISK)

    I have a Pana E-30 and E-100H

    You can visit the AVS DVD recordable forums for more info.

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=3d988e90804e7ede4200182fa5c7302e&forumid=106

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein
    Trevor S, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Mikey

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: (Mikey)
    Date: Mon, Sep 29, 2003 8:30 PM

    I am looking into purchasing a DVD recorder (stand alone not computer) and
    was wondering which version would be more compatible with DVD players in
    case I want to send a DVD I created (not pirated) to friends or family? Are
    there any DVD recorders that can record in ALL formats?

    >><BR><BR>

    Both formats are about equal in compatibility but the Panasonic has an edge on
    features and flexibility with Ram drives (that allow Time Slip) and hard drives
    for easy editing out of commercials. Other units have hard drives but tend to
    be pricey.
    FredBillie, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Mikey

    Matt Ackeret Guest

    In article <>,
    Mikey <> wrote:
    >I am looking into purchasing a DVD recorder (stand alone not computer) and
    >was wondering which version would be more compatible with DVD players in
    >case I want to send a DVD I created (not pirated) to friends or family? Are
    >there any DVD recorders that can record in ALL formats?

    As long as you can record in DVD-R, you'll be set. (I know someone will
    likely reply that DVD+R is better.. but for usability in regular DVD
    players, from everything I have read, they're pretty close to identical -- will
    play in virtually all but the very earliest DVD players.)

    Many DVD recorders *also* have a rewritable format that they can use.

    Though I don't have one yet, the one I'm going to get (unless another
    one comes out MUCH MUCH cheaper in the meantime) is the Panasonic DMR-E80.
    It's about $500 nowadays (including shipping), and can do DVD-R and
    DVD-RAM for rewritable. It also has a hard drive in it so you can edit
    recordings, then dub to DVD. DVD-RAM is less popular as a rewritable format,
    but personally, it has more features so I know I'll like it better -- you
    can do the same kinds of PVR-like features when recording to DVD-RAM also.

    Plus there are some new DVD players (at least from Panasonic, I think from
    others too) that will play DVD-RAM too.. one is about $80 in current Fry's
    ads. So I may pick one of those up so I can conveniently watch some recordings
    in another room on rewritable media.
    Matt Ackeret, Oct 1, 2003