    tv progs worth watching - get back to the house, go to watch it, and 'disc
    is dirty'.

    damn thing.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Oct 20, 2005

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:21:27 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz" <>
    wrote:

    >I hate my dvd recorder...i am going to sell it and go back to the vhs or a
    >harddrive recorder
    >
    >I've just lost too many recordings on +RW discs, and, good quality ones at
    >that.
    >
    >Nothing pisses me off more - set the recorder to record one of the very few
    >tv progs worth watching - get back to the house, go to watch it, and 'disc
    >is dirty'.
    >
    >damn thing.

    Use good branded DVD+RW NOT NOT the SKC Ones..
    XP, Oct 20, 2005

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    El Penguino Guest

    <> wrote:

    >damn thing.

    I have had a couple disappointments with mine. Once I forgot to
    unfinialise a disc. Then the usual stuff like setting it to record the
    wrong channel or too much length for the disc ( i.e. wrong quality
    setting).

    Have had a play with a newer model and it is deffo a bit whizzier to
    respond etc.

    I think VHS is a little better for non-geeks......like my OH.

    Cheers,
    El P.
    El Penguino, Oct 20, 2005
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    Daver Guest

    A hard drive recorder is the only way to go as it represents a true step
    forward over a VCR. For most people that record stuff to watch later and
    then erase a DVD recorder by itself offers no significant step forward and
    as you've found introduces other problems.
    The Panasonic EH50 can be had for under $800 now so prices are heading in
    the right direction, my last video was $550 and offered significantly less
    that a HDD recorder.

    Daver, Oct 20, 2005
  5. news.xtra.co.nz

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:25:04 +1300, "Daver" <> wrote:

    >A hard drive recorder is the only way to go as it represents a true step
    >forward over a VCR. For most people that record stuff to watch later and
    >then erase a DVD recorder by itself offers no significant step forward and
    >as you've found introduces other problems.
    >The Panasonic EH50 can be had for under $800 now so prices are heading in
    >the right direction, my last video was $550 and offered significantly less
    >that a HDD recorder.

    What uter Crap the hard drive does not support a true backup and a Single
    Sided DVD only hold 2 hours at VHS standard..

    XP, Oct 20, 2005
  6. news.xtra.co.nz

    Richard Guest

    XP wrote:

    > What uter Crap the hard drive does not support a true backup and a Single
    > Sided DVD only hold 2 hours at VHS standard..

    If there was anything on NZ tv worth recording I would be content with a HDD
    recorder - I just threw out the vcr because I found that it didnt work (first
    time in about 2 or 3 years I have tried using it) - a friend wanted me to record
    the loonie guy on tv with the water powered motorbike.

    For now the BT878 card in the PC will do for recording the odd thing thats on
    occasionally.
    Richard, Oct 20, 2005
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    A Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:46:25 +1300, XP
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:25:04 +1300, "Daver" <> wrote:
    >
    >>A hard drive recorder is the only way to go as it represents a true step
    >>forward over a VCR. For most people that record stuff to watch later and
    >>then erase a DVD recorder by itself offers no significant step forward and
    >>as you've found introduces other problems.
    >>The Panasonic EH50 can be had for under $800 now so prices are heading in
    >>the right direction, my last video was $550 and offered significantly less
    >>that a HDD recorder.

    >What uter Crap the hard drive does not support a true backup and a Single
    >Sided DVD only hold 2 hours at VHS standard..

    You really need to read what other people write before you spout off
    Woger.

    "For most people that record stuff to watch later and then erase...."

    Those people don't care about keeping what they record. I know I
    don't. I record, I watch, I erase.
    A, Oct 20, 2005
  8. "A" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:46:25 +1300, XP
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:25:04 +1300, "Daver" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>A hard drive recorder is the only way to go as it represents a true step
    >>>forward over a VCR. For most people that record stuff to watch later and
    >>>then erase a DVD recorder by itself offers no significant step forward
    >>>and
    >>>as you've found introduces other problems.
    >>>The Panasonic EH50 can be had for under $800 now so prices are heading in
    >>>the right direction, my last video was $550 and offered significantly
    >>>less
    >>>that a HDD recorder.

    >>What uter Crap the hard drive does not support a true backup and a
    >>Single
    >>Sided DVD only hold 2 hours at VHS standard..

    > You really need to read what other people write before you spout off
    > Woger.
    >
    > "For most people that record stuff to watch later and then erase...."
    >
    > Those people don't care about keeping what they record. I know I
    > don't. I record, I watch, I erase.

    i was considering splashing out for the new sky hdd - 600 not too bad , i
    intend to keep sky for sometime.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Oct 20, 2005
  9. news.xtra.co.nz

    Mercury Guest

    OT: the water powered motorbike

    So were there any hints as to how it worked?
    Was it just another electrolyser running of a battery using water to
    generate H and then power the bike?

    Mercury, Oct 20, 2005
  10. news.xtra.co.nz

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:10:15 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz" <>
    wrote:

    >"A" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:46:25 +1300, XP
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>What uter Crap the hard drive does not support a true backup and a
    >>>Single
    >>>Sided DVD only hold 2 hours at VHS standard..

    >> You really need to read what other people write before you spout off
    >> Woger.
    >>
    >> "For most people that record stuff to watch later and then erase...."
    >>
    >> Those people don't care about keeping what they record. I know I
    >> don't. I record, I watch, I erase.
    >>

    >i was considering splashing out for the new sky hdd - 600 not too bad , i
    >intend to keep sky for sometime.

    If you have been reading here its utter CRAP..
    XP, Oct 20, 2005
  11. "XP" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:10:15 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"A" <> wrote in message

    >>> You really need to read what other people write before you spout off
    >>> Woger.
    >>>
    >>> "For most people that record stuff to watch later and then erase...."
    >>>
    >>> Those people don't care about keeping what they record. I know I
    >>> don't. I record, I watch, I erase.
    >>>

    >>i was considering splashing out for the new sky hdd - 600 not too bad , i
    >>intend to keep sky for sometime.
    >>

    > If you have been reading here its utter CRAP..
    >
    >'

    No I have been away - why is it crap?
    news.xtra.co.nz, Oct 20, 2005
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:53:15 +1300, XP wrote:

    > If you have been reading here its utter CRAP..

    What's this? Woger basing his opinions of things on stuff he reads here?
    I thought nz.comp was just full of stupid teenagers?

    That is one of the signs of the coming apocalypse. What's next?
    Woger recommending AMD chips?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 21, 2005
  13. news.xtra.co.nz

    Daver Guest

    > No I have been away - why is it crap?

    What you need to watch in these groups is the people for whom nothing will
    ever be good enough and are always waiting for the next thing.
    If like 99% of people you record, watch and erase then you can't go past a
    hard drive recorder. If you then want to save stuff you have options as to
    what quality you want to go for when you save, anything between 1 ~ 6 hours.
    Despite some peoples insistance that you only get 2 hours on a disk many
    people are perfectly happy with 3 to 4hrs after all mono VCRs are still
    selling and LP mode does get used.
    The new Panasonics seem to have improved the LP mode (4hr on DVD) so its
    perfectly OK for a lot of stuff.
    Daver, Oct 21, 2005
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    Richard Guest

    Re: OT: the water powered motorbike

    Mercury wrote:
    > So were there any hints as to how it worked?
    > Was it just another electrolyser running of a battery using water to
    > generate H and then power the bike?

    He had a magic box which had 2 heatsinks clearly labled HDD COOLER on them, you
    poured water in the top, connected a wire from one site of the box to one on the
    other side of the box (They looked like the same wire to me) and then some time
    later poured the "fuel" from the other hose in the box.

    My bet is that there was another fuel tank within the fuel tank. There was some
    strange cylander beside the fuel tank, that may have had a source of fuel in it.
    Richard, Oct 21, 2005
  15. news.xtra.co.nz

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:04:09 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >Mercury wrote:
    >> So were there any hints as to how it worked?
    >> Was it just another electrolyser running of a battery using water to
    >> generate H and then power the bike?

    >He had a magic box which had 2 heatsinks clearly labled HDD COOLER on them, you
    >poured water in the top, connected a wire from one site of the box to one on the
    >other side of the box (They looked like the same wire to me) and then some time
    >later poured the "fuel" from the other hose in the box.
    >
    >My bet is that there was another fuel tank within the fuel tank. There was some
    >strange cylander beside the fuel tank, that may have had a source of fuel in it.

    Yes the Frame was filled with Petrol..

    How come the Emission test are the same as a Petrol driven engine..?
    XP, Oct 21, 2005
  16. news.xtra.co.nz

    MarkH Guest

    Richard <> wrote in news::

    > Mercury wrote:
    >> So were there any hints as to how it worked?
    >> Was it just another electrolyser running of a battery using water to
    >> generate H and then power the bike?

    > He had a magic box which had 2 heatsinks clearly labled HDD COOLER on
    > them, you poured water in the top, connected a wire from one site of
    > the box to one on the other side of the box (They looked like the same
    > wire to me) and then some time later poured the "fuel" from the other
    > hose in the box.
    >
    > My bet is that there was another fuel tank within the fuel tank. There
    > was some strange cylander beside the fuel tank, that may have had a
    > source of fuel in it.

    I am not sure what the bike ran on (Petrol/Methanol/Ethanol/whatever) but I
    am sure it was not water. The exhaust emissions had the sort of carbon
    levels that you get from burning petrol, water only has H and O, no C!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Oct 21, 2005
  17. news.xtra.co.nz

    Philip Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Richard <> wrote in news::
    >

    >>Mercury wrote:
    >>
    >>>So were there any hints as to how it worked?
    >>>Was it just another electrolyser running of a battery using water to
    >>>generate H and then power the bike?

    >>He had a magic box which had 2 heatsinks clearly labled HDD COOLER on
    >>them, you poured water in the top, connected a wire from one site of
    >>the box to one on the other side of the box (They looked like the same
    >>wire to me) and then some time later poured the "fuel" from the other
    >>hose in the box.
    >>
    >>My bet is that there was another fuel tank within the fuel tank. There
    >>was some strange cylander beside the fuel tank, that may have had a
    >>source of fuel in it.

    > I am not sure what the bike ran on (Petrol/Methanol/Ethanol/whatever) but I
    > am sure it was not water. The exhaust emissions had the sort of carbon
    > levels that you get from burning petrol, water only has H and O, no C!

    Perhaps it was carbonated water?

    I think it's clear its a scam - the interesting part now is how it was done.

    Philip
    Philip, Oct 21, 2005
  18. news.xtra.co.nz

    S Roby Guest

    In article <dja7j6$54u$>, "Daver" <> wrote:
    >> No I have been away - why is it crap?

    >What you need to watch in these groups is the people for whom nothing will
    >ever be good enough and are always waiting for the next thing.
    >If like 99% of people you record, watch and erase then you can't go past a
    >hard drive recorder. If you then want to save stuff you have options as to
    >what quality you want to go for when you save, anything between 1 ~ 6 hours.
    >Despite some peoples insistance that you only get 2 hours on a disk many
    >people are perfectly happy with 3 to 4hrs after all mono VCRs are still
    >selling and LP mode does get used.
    >The new Panasonics seem to have improved the LP mode (4hr on DVD) so its
    >perfectly OK for a lot of stuff.

    I have a DVD recorder & its fine for 'record watch & erase" & alot cheaper
    than HD_DVDR. (I admit I'd buy one if I had the spare $$$$)
    Even on 3 hour mode with a Cheap Mustek the quality is good enougth, you cant
    tell the difference FROM A NORMAL VIEWING DISTANCE. If you are ANAL of course
    there is a drop in quality that can be seen when sitting one meter in front of
    the TV.
    Dont forget that even some SKY SAT channeles/programs have worse quality than
    3hour mode anyway.
    The only issue with MY DVDR is sport does need to be recorded in 1or2 hour
    mode. Normal TV 3hour mode IS STILL BETTER THAN VCR (I have both)
    S Roby, Oct 21, 2005
  19. news.xtra.co.nz

    Daver Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    > In article <dja7j6$54u$>, "Daver"
    > <> wrote:
    >> What you need to watch in these groups is the people for whom
    >> nothing will ever be good enough and are always waiting for the next
    >> thing.
    >> If like 99% of people you record, watch and erase then you can't go
    >> past a hard drive recorder. If you then want to save stuff you have
    >> options as to what quality you want to go for when you save,
    >> anything between 1 ~ 6 hours. Despite some peoples insistance that
    >> you only get 2 hours on a disk many people are perfectly happy with
    >> 3 to 4hrs after all mono VCRs are still selling and LP mode does get
    >> used.
    >> The new Panasonics seem to have improved the LP mode (4hr on DVD) so
    >> its perfectly OK for a lot of stuff.
    >>

    > I have a DVD recorder & its fine for 'record watch & erase" & alot
    > cheaper
    > than HD_DVDR. (I admit I'd buy one if I had the spare $$$$)
    > Even on 3 hour mode with a Cheap Mustek the quality is good enougth,
    > you cant tell the difference FROM A NORMAL VIEWING DISTANCE. If you
    > are ANAL of course there is a drop in quality that can be seen when
    > sitting one meter in front of the TV.
    > Dont forget that even some SKY SAT channeles/programs have worse
    > quality than 3hour mode anyway.
    > The only issue with MY DVDR is sport does need to be recorded in 1or2
    > hour
    > mode. Normal TV 3hour mode IS STILL BETTER THAN VCR (I have both)

    Now you asking for trouble saying 3hr is acceptable even if it is the
    case:)
    Daver, Oct 21, 2005
  20. news.xtra.co.nz

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:14:28 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >In article <dja7j6$54u$>, "Daver" <> wrote:
    >>> No I have been away - why is it crap?

    >>What you need to watch in these groups is the people for whom nothing will
    >>ever be good enough and are always waiting for the next thing.
    >>If like 99% of people you record, watch and erase then you can't go past a
    >>hard drive recorder. If you then want to save stuff you have options as to
    >>what quality you want to go for when you save, anything between 1 ~ 6 hours.
    >>Despite some peoples insistance that you only get 2 hours on a disk many
    >>people are perfectly happy with 3 to 4hrs after all mono VCRs are still
    >>selling and LP mode does get used.
    >>The new Panasonics seem to have improved the LP mode (4hr on DVD) so its
    >>perfectly OK for a lot of stuff.
    >>

    >I have a DVD recorder & its fine for 'record watch & erase" & alot cheaper
    >than HD_DVDR. (I admit I'd buy one if I had the spare $$$$)
    >Even on 3 hour mode with a Cheap Mustek the quality is good enougth, you cant
    >tell the difference FROM A NORMAL VIEWING DISTANCE. If you are ANAL of course
    >there is a drop in quality that can be seen when sitting one meter in front of
    >the TV.
    >Dont forget that even some SKY SAT channeles/programs have worse quality than
    >3hour mode anyway.
    >The only issue with MY DVDR is sport does need to be recorded in 1or2 hour
    >mode. Normal TV 3hour mode IS STILL BETTER THAN VCR (I have both)

    Yes but my VCR does 10 hours and is used a lot..
    XP, Oct 21, 2005