DVD recorders and players

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. In article <>, Tony <> wrote:
    >On 6 Jun 2005 18:43:01 -0500, geoffm <>
    >wrote:
    >>After yet another Transonic DVD player has died and been returned to
    >>the Red Shed, I think it is time to get somethign a little better. We
    >>had a 60% (3/5) failure rate of transonic DVD players within the
    >>family, and (not surprisingly) they no longer sell tham as they have
    >>been unreliable...
    >> DVD recorders have come down in price a lot, and we can probalby
    >>spring for a cheap one of them instead of a plain player. Do any of
    >>them do Divx as well? Any thoughts on DSE's finest?
    >>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/P

    >roduct/View/G1598
    >>which looks identical to
    >>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/P

    >roduct/View/G1807
    >>except for the pricetag
    >>Unfortunatly the budget doesn't extend to the HD version
    >>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/P

    >roduct/View/G1926

    >Pay Crap get Crap.
    >90% of DVD players are all made in China..

    Sadly these days, Pay heaps, sometimes get crap. More money does not equal
    better quality. :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    geoffm Guest

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/Product/View/G1807
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/Product/View/G1926
    geoffm, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Bruce Sinclair

    Richard Guest

    geoffm wrote:
    > After yet another Transonic DVD player has died and been returned to
    > the Red Shed, I think it is time to get somethign a little better. We
    > had a 60% (3/5) failure rate of transonic DVD players within the
    > family, and (not surprisingly) they no longer sell tham as they have
    > been unreliable...

    They have had so many different models branded transonic its not funny.

    One that a family member had issues with had a dead remote, and thats no fun for
    movies that have spanish subtitles on by default.

    Turns out the shitty transonic battery they supplies had leaked and the terminal
    was corroded. Other then that, its worked well, as has the newer slimmer one
    that was bought to replace it till the remote issue was found.
    Richard, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Bruce Sinclair

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    XPD Guest

    "geoffm" <> wrote in message
    > After yet another Transonic DVD player has died and been returned to
    > the Red Shed, I think it is time to get somethign a little better. We
    > had a 60% (3/5) failure rate of transonic DVD players within the
    > family, and (not surprisingly) they no longer sell tham as they have
    > been unreliable...
    > DVD recorders have come down in price a lot, and we can probalby
    > spring for a cheap one of them instead of a plain player. Do any of
    > them do Divx as well? Any thoughts on DSE's finest?

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/Product/View/G1598
    > which looks identical to

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/Product/View/G1807
    > except for the pricetag
    > Unfortunatly the budget doesn't extend to the HD version

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/Product/View/G1926

    The DSE DVD players are good in my book so far... weve had 2 so far (1st one
    was given to family member) and theyre both going strong with no failures
    with anything.
    As for the recorders, dont see why theyd be anything different quality
    wise..... almost tempted to get one myself :)
    XPD, Jun 7, 2005
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    S Roby Guest

    I have a DSE DVD recorder (rebranded Mustek)
    Cost me $300. It does the job
    Only issues:
    its fussy what brand blanks it will recognise
    its slow to respond to functions
    remote is not very powerfull
    a bit noisey, but quieter than say an XBOX

    Due to extremely bad design the noisey fan is 50% blocked off inside & is
    totally in the wrong place so it gets very hot. I cut a new hole for the fan
    on the side where the heat is & put a quieter fan in.

    On High Quality mode the recording quality is as good a you will need, pretty
    close to the expensive brands.
    Also, if you buy a $1200 recorder, it will be worth allmost the same as this
    in 3 years time.
    S Roby, Jun 7, 2005
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "geoffm" <> wrote in message
    > After yet another Transonic DVD player has died and been returned to
    > the Red Shed, I think it is time to get somethign a little better. We
    > had a 60% (3/5) failure rate of transonic DVD players within the
    > family, and (not surprisingly) they no longer sell tham as they have
    > been unreliable...
    > DVD recorders have come down in price a lot, and we can probalby
    > spring for a cheap one of them instead of a plain player. Do any of
    > them do Divx as well? Any thoughts on DSE's finest?

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f
    /Product/View/G1598
    > which looks identical to

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f
    /Product/View/G1807
    > except for the pricetag
    > Unfortunatly the budget doesn't extend to the HD version

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f
    /Product/View/G1926

    My Transonic is a couple years old and still going well with DVDs and CDRs.
    At least you'll be use to the menu system of DSE players, exactly the same
    as Transonic, the guts is made by the same outfit. DSE players work well
    enough as well.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 7, 2005
  8. Bruce Sinclair

    Mutlley Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote:

    >"geoffm" <> wrote in message
    >> After yet another Transonic DVD player has died and been returned to
    >> the Red Shed, I think it is time to get somethign a little better. We
    >> had a 60% (3/5) failure rate of transonic DVD players within the
    >> family, and (not surprisingly) they no longer sell tham as they have
    >> been unreliable...
    >> DVD recorders have come down in price a lot, and we can probalby
    >> spring for a cheap one of them instead of a plain player. Do any of
    >> them do Divx as well? Any thoughts on DSE's finest?
    >>

    >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/Product/View/G1598
    >> which looks identical to
    >>

    >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/Product/View/G1807
    >> except for the pricetag
    >> Unfortunatly the budget doesn't extend to the HD version
    >>

    >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/Product/View/G1926
    >>

    >The DSE DVD players are good in my book so far... weve had 2 so far (1st one
    >was given to family member) and theyre both going strong with no failures
    >with anything.
    >As for the recorders, dont see why theyd be anything different quality
    >wise..... almost tempted to get one myself :)

    From memory the consumer test of the DSE DVD recorders was not too
    good. They dropped in price quite a bit after the review..
    Mutlley, Jun 7, 2005
  9. Bruce Sinclair

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Tue, 07 Jun 2005 12:12:24 +1200, Tony <> says...
    > On 6 Jun 2005 18:43:01 -0500, geoffm <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >After yet another Transonic DVD player has died and been returned to
    > >the Red Shed, I think it is time to get somethign a little better. We
    > >had a 60% (3/5) failure rate of transonic DVD players within the
    > >family, and (not surprisingly) they no longer sell tham as they have
    > >been unreliable...
    > > DVD recorders have come down in price a lot, and we can probalby
    > >spring for a cheap one of them instead of a plain player. Do any of
    > >them do Divx as well? Any thoughts on DSE's finest?
    > >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/Product/View/G1598
    > >which looks identical to
    > >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/Product/View/G1807
    > >except for the pricetag
    > >Unfortunatly the budget doesn't extend to the HD version
    > >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a4da7c039ff2d8273fc0a87f99077f/Product/View/G1926

    > Pay Crap get Crap.
    >

    > 90% of DVD players are all made in China..

    What does being made in China have to do with anything? Most of the
    bigname companies manufacture there these days.
    Rob J, Jun 8, 2005
  10. Rob J wrote:
    >>Pay Crap get Crap.

    >>90% of DVD players are all made in China..

    > What does being made in China have to do with anything? Most of the
    > bigname companies manufacture there these days.

    there or Korea.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 8, 2005
  11. Bruce Sinclair

    S Roby Guest

    >From memory the consumer test of the DSE DVD recorders was not too
    >good. They dropped in price quite a bit after the review..

    again from memory.....
    It was an older model (that didnt have VBR)
    Also said that on HQ rec mode that not much diff between thoses tested

    On Consumers 1st DVD test they said that a $150 Yukai was as good as a $1500
    Pioneer
    The Consumers next test( a year or so later) put the same Yukai at the bottom
    of the models tests
    They also rated a 18v cordless as best in test, I found it to be extremely
    poorly made, flimsly plastic that flexed during heavy use.

    So perhaps dont read too much into their reviews.
    S Roby, Jun 8, 2005