    What's a good, fairly affordable model? Do they all have built-in
    tuners? Any reccomendations?

    Thanks.
    PowerPost2000, Jun 29, 2006

  2. PowerPost2000

    Gordon Guest

    PowerPost2000 wrote:

    > I have a DVD recorder. One of the things I don't like about it is
    > that at HQ, only 1 hour fits on a DVD. If you record more than 3
    > hours (LP), quality really suffers.
    >
    > Do the HD models get around this? Are you able to record several
    > hours at HQ level, then burn the good stuff?
    >
    > What's a good, fairly affordable model? Do they all have built-in
    > tuners? Any reccomendations?
    >
    > Thanks.

    We have a Panasonic DMR-EH50 with a 80 GB HDD and the blurb says that max
    recording time is 142 hours......you can get one for about GBP 250.....

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2
    Gordon, Jun 29, 2006

  3. PowerPost2000

    Guest

    Gordon
    <>
    wrote:

    >We have a Panasonic DMR-EH50 with a 80 GB HDD and the blurb says that max
    >recording time is 142 hours......you can get one for about GBP 250.....

    When will they start coming out with HD versions of the
    above for off air HD recording?
    , Jun 29, 2006
  4. PowerPost2000

    ProfGene Guest

    PowerPost2000 wrote:
    > I have a DVD recorder. One of the things I don't like about it is
    > that at HQ, only 1 hour fits on a DVD. If you record more than 3
    > hours (LP), quality really suffers.
    >
    > Do the HD models get around this? Are you able to record several
    > hours at HQ level, then burn the good stuff?
    >
    > What's a good, fairly affordable model? Do they all have built-in
    > tuners? Any reccomendations?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I think i read about a model that has the capability to add a new hard
    drive when you use one up. Camcorders with hard drives are a new thing
    and when they have been around a few years they wil get better.
    ProfGene, Jun 30, 2006
  5. On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:17:39 -0600, ProfGene <> wrote:

    >PowerPost2000 wrote:
    >> I have a DVD recorder. One of the things I don't like about it is
    >> that at HQ, only 1 hour fits on a DVD. If you record more than 3
    >> hours (LP), quality really suffers.
    >>
    >> Do the HD models get around this? Are you able to record several
    >> hours at HQ level, then burn the good stuff?
    >>
    >> What's a good, fairly affordable model? Do they all have built-in
    >> tuners? Any reccomendations?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >I think i read about a model that has the capability to add a new hard
    >drive when you use one up. Camcorders with hard drives are a new thing
    >and when they have been around a few years they wil get better.

    I saw that too. Removable hard drives. I'm not sure if it comes with
    one or not, but if you happen to have an extra one, you just swap them
    when one gets full.
    PowerPost2000, Jun 30, 2006
  6. PowerPost2000

    PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Gordon
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>We have a Panasonic DMR-EH50 with a 80 GB HDD and the blurb says that max
    >>recording time is 142 hours......you can get one for about GBP 250.....

    > When will they start coming out with HD versions of the
    > above for off air HD recording?

    Not for quite a while, if ever, from what I've read.

    As I understand it the Content Providers (Movie Studios, TV stations etc)
    will only allow HD content to be sold / broadcast with HDCP (High Definition
    Copy Protection)
    HDCP contains an encryption scheme that requires a key issued by the HDCP
    committee inside 'compliant' hardware.
    The Movie Studios are members of the HDCP committee and I can not see them
    ever allowing a recorder to be built that will allow copying of their
    Product.

    There is discussion HDCP has been cracked and even explanations of how to do
    it. But the articles I've read are all rather geeky and involve maths
    algebra and other theoretical concepts. I doubt a 'lash up' decoder on
    Veroboard is going to be available 'real soon'

    This site
    http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/1608/Editorial-The-Secret-HDMI-Pact/p1/
    does talk about the ability to connect HD devices via Analog ports being
    'allowed' for some time because of the lack of HDCP compliant TV's
    worldwide.
    However HD analog content involves a lot more data than the current DVD (720
    x 576) standard and I've read of data rates in excess of 1GB per minute.
    Which means of course compressing the raw data to fit on a HD / Blue Ray
    disk (lots of PC horsepower) and a
    reduction in quality, which seems opposite to the reason for recording HD
    content anyway.

    Lots of comment on Google
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=HDCP cracks&btnG=Google Search&meta=

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jun 30, 2006
  7. PowerPost2000

    Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    >As I understand it the Content Providers (Movie Studios, TV stations etc)
    >will only allow HD content to be sold / broadcast with HDCP (High Definition
    >Copy Protection)

    Wow this is true eve for OFF AIR HD TV?

    I mean... you can buy an HD video card for a desktop to
    watch and capture off air HD TV, correct?

    If correct, how is this any diff than letting Panasonic
    build an HD version of their PVR?
    , Jun 30, 2006
  8. PowerPost2000

    PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >
    >>As I understand it the Content Providers (Movie Studios, TV stations etc)
    >>will only allow HD content to be sold / broadcast with HDCP (High
    >>Definition
    >>Copy Protection)

    > Wow this is true eve for OFF AIR HD TV?
    >
    > I mean... you can buy an HD video card for a desktop to
    > watch and capture off air HD TV, correct?
    >
    > If correct, how is this any diff than letting Panasonic
    > build an HD version of their PVR?

    Which begs the question 'will off air TV be HDCP encoded'

    Google found this site http://tv.about.com/od/hdtv/a/hdmidvihdcp.htm where
    one statement says:
    <quote>
    "Some cable/satellite dealers have told me that a HDTV without DVI/HDCP is
    going to be useless in a year or two by around 2007 and unable to receive HD
    programming since those companies are probably heading in that direction. I
    want to purchase the right HDTV for the best viewing experience and one that
    will last me, at least, 7-10 years from now. Are these rumors true?
    The long term answer is yes while the answer for the short term is no. Not
    so simple, huh? I called DirecTV and asked what they're plan for the future
    was regarding their set-top boxes and HDMI/DVI inputs. It was what I
    expected. They don't know what they're going to do regarding the HDMI or DVI
    technology."
    </quote>

    At the end of the day most consumers have got used to the ability to record
    Audio / Visual content as and when they want, then to play it back as and
    when via what ever media they fancy. I think this indicates the whole
    uncertainty about HD/HDCP/HDMI and all the other acronyms associated with
    the new generation of AV media displays/players/recorders.
    i.e. How long will my expensive (insert acronym) compliant (insert device)
    last before it becomes useless because some greedy media recluse has a bad
    night and decides to flip a switch and lock it all down or do I need to
    spend megabucks when what I've got now seems to work quite ok. Thats not to
    mention the sets made that are badged compliant but in fact don't work with
    (insert acronym) because they haven't got any devices to try them out with.
    One of our local Consumer TV programs highlighted a case recently of a TV
    specifically bought because it was supposed to 1080 HD.
    The purchase was made before any 1080 sources were available. It was only
    when the Xbox 360 came out that the owner had a source that would drive the
    display at 1080.
    Guess what, it wouldn't work.
    The retailer came to the party only after the Consumer TV program got
    involved, but there was the distinct impression that the hardware was not
    upgradeable and the manufacturers were not being 'cooperative'
    Now thats only one 'standard' (HD 1080) then add all the other 'standards'
    (DVI/HDMI/HDCP........)

    One site I read postulated that, even though HDCP is cracked and is likely
    to be circumvented, what it does is give the Content Owners the legal
    platform to enforce their 'rights' by legislative means i.e. if you use non
    HDCP equipment we are gonna sue your a.. off.
    The site did suggest this was within the USA context but thought the EU may
    sort of follow suit.
    The problem I have with this thought process is the 'guilty till proven
    innocent' angle of it all, a bit like you own a motor car therefore you may
    be guilty of hit and run till we prove you are innocent.

    Bad principle.

    FWIW
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 1, 2006
  9. PowerPost2000

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:22:15 -0500, wrote:

    >"PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >
    >>As I understand it the Content Providers (Movie Studios, TV stations etc)
    >>will only allow HD content to be sold / broadcast with HDCP (High Definition
    >>Copy Protection)

    >Wow this is true eve for OFF AIR HD TV?
    >
    >I mean... you can buy an HD video card for a desktop to
    >watch and capture off air HD TV, correct?

    By off air do you mean an mpeg file or a DVD?

    >If correct, how is this any diff than letting Panasonic

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    Barry OGrady, Jul 2, 2006
  10. PowerPost2000

    Guest

    Barry OGrady <> wrote:

    >>I mean... you can buy an HD video card for a desktop to
    >>watch and capture off air HD TV, correct?

    >By off air do you mean an mpeg file or a DVD?

    By antenna on the roof
    , Jul 5, 2006