    basically which box does the most?

    any recommendations?

    Cheers Jimbo

    JimboSlim, Jan 11, 2004

  2. JimboSlim

    lxe-13 Guest

    wait for the Pioneer 107 or the new Nec dual 8x. Both will be available this
    week (apparently)

    lxe-13, Jan 11, 2004

  3. JimboSlim

    Brucey2 Guest

    Hey Ixe-13 you did not read the post did you.
    "JimboSlim" <> wrote in message
    > Hi DVDers
    >
    > I want an all singing all dancing DVD TV set top box recorder to replace

    an

    Brucey2, Jan 11, 2004
  4. JimboSlim

    res0r89p Guest

    Hi,
    I just got the Lg gsa 4081b 8x, does +,- and dvd-ram. Cost $145.00 at
    mwave. Many desktop recorders use dvd-ram. I'll install it later today.
    Peter Cowie

    res0r89p, Jan 11, 2004
  5. JimboSlim

    lxe-13 Guest

    nope lol , sorry

    lxe-13, Jan 11, 2004
  6. JimboSlim

    luminos Guest

    What about set top box recorder confused you?

    luminos, Jan 11, 2004
  7. JimboSlim

    luminos Guest

    "JimboSlim" <> wrote in message
    > Hi DVDers
    >
    > I want an all singing all dancing DVD TV set top box recorder to replace

    an
    > aging VHS VCR
    > I already have a pioneer DVD writer in my PC which Burns DVD-R disks
    > and does a good job I have a cheepo DVD player which handles the Pioneers
    > disks OK to my wide screen TV
    >
    > I want a DVD recorder that is multi region and can read / write as many
    > formats as possible + - rom ram cd mp3 wma DIVX etc
    > basically which box does the most?
    >
    > any recommendations?
    >
    > Cheers Jimbo

    There is no set top box that supports all the formats and capabilities you
    indicate. None, for example,
    record Linear PCM audio for CD in addition to DVD mpeg2 formats. I do not
    think any suport wma DIVX etc either.

    I suggest looking at the Panasonic 100 with hard drive. You will find the
    hard drive very important.

    luminos, Jan 11, 2004
  8. JimboSlim

    JimboSlim Guest

    Hi DVDers

    Thanx luninous I thought that was the disappointing true answer Id get. I'm
    now looking at the Liteon LVW 5005
    which I think comes nearest to my desires unless you folks Know better

    Or would I be better putting a Lite on Pc DVD +- burner in a shuttle and
    connecting that to my Sony wide screen TV
    but then I want Video plus for recording live TV like the old VCR did. Also
    I want something simple that her indoors can operate

    I don't ask for much just something that works wouldn't life be simple if it
    was like TV advert land
    we could then take for granted things that did their job well

    Unfortunately in real life things don't do what they say on the box

    I take your point though a hard drive is a good Idea in aset top box anyway

    Jimbo who still makes DVDs on his PC and then carts them through to his
    living room to watch them on wide screen TV

    Thanx Jimbo

    JimboSlim, Jan 11, 2004
  9. JimboSlim

    Jan B Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:33:29 -0000, "JimboSlim"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi DVDers

    >I want a DVD recorder that is multi region and can read / write as many
    >formats as possible + - rom ram cd mp3 wma DIVX etc
    >basically which box does the most?

    My advice is that you compare also other aspects if they might be
    important to you.
    E.g. differences in connections like:
    * Component video/RGB/S-Video inputs or Digital Video input (whatever
    you need).
    * Electrical/Optical Digital Audio.
    * Ability to signal 16:9 / 4:3 video format to your TV.

    Also compare the differences in editing features (and how it playes on
    your DVD-player) if you won't stick to your PC for all (also basic)
    edits.
    /Jan

    Jan B, Jan 11, 2004
  10. JimboSlim

    Brian Guest

    The other alternative is to turn your PC into a TV recorder.
    You'll need a TV card and a program that will record your tv program
    to the hard drive at a certain time. The you can burn it to DVD and
    what it on TV on your DVD player, or just what it on the computers
    monitor.

    If your in no hurry, I'd wait a while to see what types appear on the
    market.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Jan 12, 2004
  11. JimboSlim wrote:

    > Hi DVDers
    >
    > Thanx luninous I thought that was the disappointing true answer Id
    > get. I'm now looking at the Liteon LVW 5005 which I think comes
    > nearest to my desires unless you folks Know better
    >
    > Or would I be better putting a Lite on Pc DVD +- burner in a
    > shuttle and connecting that to my Sony wide screen TV but then I
    > want Video plus for recording live TV like the old VCR did. Also I
    > want something simple that her indoors can operate
    >
    > I don't ask for much just something that works wouldn't life be
    > simple if it was like TV advert land we could then take for
    > granted things that did their job well
    >
    > Unfortunately in real life things don't do what they say on the
    > box
    >
    > I take your point though a hard drive is a good Idea in aset top
    > box anyway
    >
    > Jimbo who still makes DVDs on his PC and then carts them through
    > to his living room to watch them on wide screen TV
    >
    > Thanx Jimbo

    If you buy liteon be sure you have a newer model TV. component video
    jacks ARE MANDATORY. I don't know about the 5005 but I had to
    return a 5001 because I use cable and my TV only had coaxial jacks.
    The manual is deceptive so be sure you can return an OPENED box.
    these places where you have to figure out that you made a mistake
    without opening the box is agravating. Why would you buy something
    if you can't use it.

    Darrell Mayeda

    Knight of the ERmoron Round Table.

    NOTE: I'm tired of all the spam in my mailbox please leave my
    last name in the body of your reply. Thanks

    Darrell Mayeda, Jan 12, 2004
  12. JimboSlim

    Virgil Green Guest

    "Darrell Mayeda" <> wrote in message
    > JimboSlim wrote:
    >
    > > Hi DVDers
    > >

    > If you buy liteon be sure you have a newer model TV. component video
    > jacks ARE MANDATORY. I don't know about the 5005 but I had to
    > return a 5001 because I use cable and my TV only had coaxial jacks.
    > The manual is deceptive so be sure you can return an OPENED box.
    > these places where you have to figure out that you made a mistake
    > without opening the box is agravating. Why would you buy something
    > if you can't use it.

    Just to clarify for me.... did you meant the TV needed to have RCA input?
    Looking at the specs for the lvw-5001 at www.liteonamericas.com indicates
    that it only component input, but it has RCA for both input and output (and
    only passive RF loop-through for cable as you discovered).

    - Virgil

    Virgil Green, Feb 4, 2004
  13. I think that you should go to Circuit City or Best Buy and they have a
    VCR/DVD recorder to where that you can record a DVD to the tape in the VCR.
    I know so because I had the same problem way before, so there you go. For
    more info, log on to www.bestbuy.com or www.circuitcity.com.

    Richard Mason, Apr 14, 2004
  14. JimboSlim

    Spam Buster Guest

    "Richard Mason" <> wrote in message
    | "JimboSlim" <> wrote in message
    | > Hi DVDers
    | >
    | > I want an all singing all dancing DVD TV set top box recorder to replace
    | an
    | > aging VHS VCR
    | > I already have a pioneer DVD writer in my PC which Burns DVD-R disks
    | > and does a good job I have a cheepo DVD player which handles the
    Pioneers
    | > disks OK to my wide screen TV
    | >
    | > I want a DVD recorder that is multi region and can read / write as many
    | > formats as possible + - rom ram cd mp3 wma DIVX etc
    | > basically which box does the most?
    | >
    | > any recommendations?
    | >
    | > Cheers Jimbo
    | >
    |I think that you should go to Circuit City or Best Buy and they have a
    | VCR/DVD recorder to where that you can record a DVD to the tape in the
    VCR.
    | I know so because I had the same problem way before, so there you go. For
    | more info, log on to www.bestbuy.com or www.circuitcity.com.

    Jeez.... did you even take time to read the question?

    SB

    Spam Buster, Apr 15, 2004