    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    FAQmeister, Jun 3, 2005

  2. FAQmeister

    jason Guest

    I am running a dvb-t digital freeview card on a 3.4 mhz p4 the quality is
    excellent and enables me to also record off a vhs through the composit port
    or s-vidio port so can also transfer vidios to hard drive then with the
    bundled software can re author or change formats and vidio edit very easily,
    the quality is excellent , it also alows live tv pausing so basicaly
    everything sky+ has and more with the ability to burn to dvd, the picture
    quality is excellent on my 19 inch crt monitor and would probably be even
    better on a flat pannel monitor....i havent tried the tv out facility as
    have never needed it...

    jason, Jun 3, 2005

  3. On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:44:48 -0700, "FAQmeister"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm wondering if I can avoid the expense of a standalone DVD recorder
    >with hard disk, by just adding a TV tuner card to my PC that already has
    >a DVD burner and plenty of software.
    >
    >Is the quality of the video coming off of a TV tuner card and burned to
    >DVD as good as the quality of a standalone DVD recorder?
    >
    >The Compro VIDEOMATE TV GOLD+ for $54 from newegg.com looks like a
    >winner.

    I recently ran a test.... comparing the quality of a DVD burned on my
    stand-alone DVDR with hard drive to that burned on my computer's
    Lite-on burner (captured with an ATI All-in-wonder card). I really
    couldn't tell the difference, but burning the video to the stand-alone
    burner was much less complicated. It may well be that I didn't have
    all that perfect a copy to work with, since the file was a movie I
    received using DirecTV. Maybe you could see the difference with an
    original DVD, but then, you couldn't copy that at all with the
    stand-alone burner.
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    Charlie Hoffpauir, Jun 3, 2005
  4. FAQmeister

    Jimbo Guest

    Like Charlie said, burning with a standalone dvd recorder is much less
    complicated. I have a Panasonic E85 and love it. My pc has a video capture
    card but I only use it to occasionally watch a tv show while I'm surfing.
    The biggest hang-up to me is that my computer is no where near my TV and VHS
    recorder and it's a pain moving the recorder. At least with the standalone
    recorder it's in the same room and same place as all the other video
    equipment.

    Jimbo, Jun 3, 2005
  5. FAQmeister

    Guest

    FAQmeister wrote:
    > I'm wondering if I can avoid the expense of a standalone DVD recorder
    > with hard disk, by just adding a TV tuner card to my PC that already has
    > a DVD burner and plenty of software.
    >
    > Is the quality of the video coming off of a TV tuner card and burned to
    > DVD as good as the quality of a standalone DVD recorder?
    >
    > The Compro VIDEOMATE TV GOLD+ for $54 from newegg.com looks like a
    > winner.
    > --
    > Buford T. Justice
    > The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    > http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    Maybe a couple of years ago the PC had the edge in both price and
    quality, but now with these new generation stand alone recorders like
    my Pioneer 220 ($198.00 at Walmart) available which are both cheap and
    of a good quality, the advantage has now clearly shifted to the
    standalones!

    BTW if you have ON DEMAND on Cable TV like I do then for $2.99 or $3.99
    (for a 24 hour rental) you can record a digital movie a heck of a lot
    easier once or twice or even three times (sometimes I trade or give
    them away to friends) using my 220, and so far they have played with no
    problems on at least half a dozen different players I have had them
    tried on!
    , Jun 4, 2005
  6. FAQmeister

    Bob D. Guest

    The standalone recorders ALWAYS have good capture hardware. Some of the
    cheaper PC capture cards do a lousy job. If you do use the PC, use a good
    capture card. Personally, I prefer the standalone. Every sunday I set the
    timer to record all my favorite shows for the whole week (to the hard
    drive). With the hard drive I then have the option to erase a show, or
    record it to a blank DVD. If you do get a standalone, I highly recommend one
    with a hard drive.

    --
    Bob D.

    Bob D., Jun 4, 2005
  7. FAQmeister

    unclejr Guest

    Bob D. wrote:
    > The standalone recorders ALWAYS have good capture hardware. Some of the
    > cheaper PC capture cards do a lousy job. If you do use the PC, use a good
    > capture card. Personally, I prefer the standalone. Every sunday I set the
    > timer to record all my favorite shows for the whole week (to the hard
    > drive). With the hard drive I then have the option to erase a show, or
    > record it to a blank DVD. If you do get a standalone, I highly recommend one
    > with a hard drive.

    Out of curiosity, do you know what codec the hard drive for one of
    these stand-alone recorders uses in storing the a/v data?

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jun 4, 2005
  8. FAQmeister

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Bob D." <> wrote in message
    > The standalone recorders ALWAYS have good capture hardware. Some of
    > the cheaper PC capture cards do a lousy job. If you do use the PC,
    > use a good capture card. Personally, I prefer the standalone. Every
    > sunday I set the timer to record all my favorite shows for the whole
    > week (to the hard drive). With the hard drive I then have the option
    > to erase a show, or record it to a blank DVD. If you do get a
    > standalone, I highly recommend one with a hard drive.

    Thanks Bob, and everyone else who responded. Your input and further
    research on my part has led me to the following conclusions:

    I'd like the convenience of a standalone recorder with a hard disk, but
    the addition of a large hard disk (120 GB or greater) raises the prices
    far higher than they should be. Other downsides are having all my eggs
    in one basket, so to speak, and no way to repair it by myself or upgrade
    in the future. If I'm willing to live with that and settle for an 80 GB
    hard disk, the Pioneer DVR-520H-S goes for about $415.

    Or I could outfit a computer just for my entertainment center. It would
    be more versatile and I could continue to upgrade it over time. I have
    some of what I need already for that computer, including a couple of 120
    GB drives, but I would have to buy a tuner card, upgrade the
    motherboard, cpu and video card and add some more memory. All that will
    probaby cost me close to $500, and with that comes the ability to
    upgrade and repair it, but it won't be as easy or convenient to use as a
    standalone.

    I still can't make up my mind.
    FAQmeister, Jun 5, 2005
  9. On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 16:02:57 -0700, "FAQmeister"
    <> wrote:

    >"Bob D." <> wrote in message
    >> The standalone recorders ALWAYS have good capture hardware. Some of
    >> the cheaper PC capture cards do a lousy job. If you do use the PC,
    >> use a good capture card. Personally, I prefer the standalone. Every
    >> sunday I set the timer to record all my favorite shows for the whole
    >> week (to the hard drive). With the hard drive I then have the option
    >> to erase a show, or record it to a blank DVD. If you do get a
    >> standalone, I highly recommend one with a hard drive.
    >>

    >Thanks Bob, and everyone else who responded. Your input and further
    >research on my part has led me to the following conclusions:
    >
    >I'd like the convenience of a standalone recorder with a hard disk, but
    >the addition of a large hard disk (120 GB or greater) raises the prices
    >far higher than they should be. Other downsides are having all my eggs
    >in one basket, so to speak, and no way to repair it by myself or upgrade
    >in the future. If I'm willing to live with that and settle for an 80 GB
    >hard disk, the Pioneer DVR-520H-S goes for about $415.
    >
    >Or I could outfit a computer just for my entertainment center. It would
    >be more versatile and I could continue to upgrade it over time. I have
    >some of what I need already for that computer, including a couple of 120
    >GB drives, but I would have to buy a tuner card, upgrade the
    >motherboard, cpu and video card and add some more memory. All that will
    >probaby cost me close to $500, and with that comes the ability to
    >upgrade and repair it, but it won't be as easy or convenient to use as a
    >standalone.
    >
    >I still can't make up my mind.

    I'd like to possibly add to your problem. You haven't considered the
    Lite-on LVW-5045. Here are the specs:
    http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/product/ce/LVW-5045-S-0909-Eng.pdf
    (and it's just over $300 with free shipping at Buy.com)
    It's what I'd get if I were buying now. However I already have both
    the solutions you are considering.... a stand alone (with 80 GB HDD)
    and a good video capture card with an ATI All-in-wonder. both give
    very good results... I really can't see the difference. But the stand
    alone unit is cheaper and much easier. I now use the computer option
    only for copying DVDs, not for making a DVD copy of anything recorded
    from DirecTV.
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    Charlie Hoffpauir, Jun 5, 2005
  10. FAQmeister

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Charlie Hoffpauir" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 16:02:57 -0700, "FAQmeister"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Bob D." <> wrote in message
    >>> The standalone recorders ALWAYS have good capture hardware. Some of
    >>> the cheaper PC capture cards do a lousy job. If you do use the PC,
    >>> use a good capture card. Personally, I prefer the standalone. Every
    >>> sunday I set the timer to record all my favorite shows for the whole
    >>> week (to the hard drive). With the hard drive I then have the option
    >>> to erase a show, or record it to a blank DVD. If you do get a
    >>> standalone, I highly recommend one with a hard drive.
    >>>

    >> Thanks Bob, and everyone else who responded. Your input and further
    >> research on my part has led me to the following conclusions:
    >>
    >> I'd like the convenience of a standalone recorder with a hard disk,
    >> but the addition of a large hard disk (120 GB or greater) raises the
    >> prices far higher than they should be. Other downsides are having
    >> all my eggs in one basket, so to speak, and no way to repair it by
    >> myself or upgrade in the future. If I'm willing to live with that
    >> and settle for an 80 GB hard disk, the Pioneer DVR-520H-S goes for
    >> about $415.
    >>
    >> Or I could outfit a computer just for my entertainment center. It
    >> would be more versatile and I could continue to upgrade it over
    >> time. I have some of what I need already for that computer,
    >> including a couple of 120 GB drives, but I would have to buy a tuner
    >> card, upgrade the motherboard, cpu and video card and add some more
    >> memory. All that will probaby cost me close to $500, and with that
    >> comes the ability to upgrade and repair it, but it won't be as easy
    >> or convenient to use as a standalone.
    >>
    >> I still can't make up my mind.

    > I'd like to possibly add to your problem. You haven't considered the
    > Lite-on LVW-5045. Here are the specs:
    > http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/product/ce/LVW-5045-S-0909-Eng.pdf
    > (and it's just over $300 with free shipping at Buy.com)
    > It's what I'd get if I were buying now. However I already have both
    > the solutions you are considering.... a stand alone (with 80 GB HDD)
    > and a good video capture card with an ATI All-in-wonder. both give
    > very good results... I really can't see the difference. But the stand
    > alone unit is cheaper and much easier. I now use the computer option
    > only for copying DVDs, not for making a DVD copy of anything recorded
    > from DirecTV.
    > Charlie Hoffpauir
    > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    Wow, 160 GB for only about $325 delivered. The specs sound great but the
    user reviews aren't so good:

    "Programs recorded to hard drive start out fine, but as show progresses,
    audio and video begin to slip out of sync. By the end of a 2-hour
    program, audio and video are often off by 2 seconds."

    "Noisy drive motor. Over sensitive remote control. Timeshift is
    practically useless. Poor picture quality output, ie: poor color,
    picture size is altered (squished) in High Definition mode."

    "...glaring negative is the lack of MPEG-4 video compression, which
    would have easily increased onboard storage limits by an order of
    magnitude. Still, even if not for recording, basic MPEG-4 playback
    support would have been a nice touch."

    Seems like this one definitely has a few problems. I visited the web
    site and their "Service and Support" on standalone DVD recorders is
    non-existent except for downloadable firmware upgrades.
    FAQmeister, Jun 5, 2005
  11. FAQmeister

    GMAN Guest

    In article <d7tbup$k74$>, "FAQmeister" <> wrote:
    >"Bob D." <> wrote in message
    >> The standalone recorders ALWAYS have good capture hardware. Some of
    >> the cheaper PC capture cards do a lousy job. If you do use the PC,
    >> use a good capture card. Personally, I prefer the standalone. Every
    >> sunday I set the timer to record all my favorite shows for the whole
    >> week (to the hard drive). With the hard drive I then have the option
    >> to erase a show, or record it to a blank DVD. If you do get a
    >> standalone, I highly recommend one with a hard drive.
    >>

    >Thanks Bob, and everyone else who responded. Your input and further
    >research on my part has led me to the following conclusions:
    >
    >I'd like the convenience of a standalone recorder with a hard disk, but
    >the addition of a large hard disk (120 GB or greater) raises the prices
    >far higher than they should be. Other downsides are having all my eggs
    >in one basket, so to speak, and no way to repair it by myself or upgrade
    >in the future. If I'm willing to live with that and settle for an 80 GB
    >hard disk, the Pioneer DVR-520H-S goes for about $415.

    Get a LiteOn LVW-5045 $300 or so

    Records all formats, even audio cd's etc....

    GMAN, Jun 5, 2005
  12. FAQmeister

    GMAN Guest

    In article <d7tt04$mha$>, "FAQmeister" <> wrote:
    >"Charlie Hoffpauir" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 16:02:57 -0700, "FAQmeister"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Bob D." <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Thanks Bob, and everyone else who responded. Your input and further
    >>> research on my part has led me to the following conclusions:
    >>>
    >>> I'd like the convenience of a standalone recorder with a hard disk,
    >>> but the addition of a large hard disk (120 GB or greater) raises the
    >>> prices far higher than they should be. Other downsides are having
    >>> all my eggs in one basket, so to speak, and no way to repair it by
    >>> myself or upgrade in the future. If I'm willing to live with that
    >>> and settle for an 80 GB hard disk, the Pioneer DVR-520H-S goes for
    >>> about $415.
    >>>
    >>> Or I could outfit a computer just for my entertainment center. It
    >>> would be more versatile and I could continue to upgrade it over
    >>> time. I have some of what I need already for that computer,
    >>> including a couple of 120 GB drives, but I would have to buy a tuner
    >>> card, upgrade the motherboard, cpu and video card and add some more
    >>> memory. All that will probaby cost me close to $500, and with that
    >>> comes the ability to upgrade and repair it, but it won't be as easy
    >>> or convenient to use as a standalone.
    >>>
    >>> I still can't make up my mind.

    >> I'd like to possibly add to your problem. You haven't considered the
    >> Lite-on LVW-5045. Here are the specs:
    >> http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/product/ce/LVW-5045-S-0909-Eng.pdf
    >> (and it's just over $300 with free shipping at Buy.com)
    >> It's what I'd get if I were buying now. However I already have both
    >> the solutions you are considering.... a stand alone (with 80 GB HDD)
    >> and a good video capture card with an ATI All-in-wonder. both give
    >> very good results... I really can't see the difference. But the stand
    >> alone unit is cheaper and much easier. I now use the computer option
    >> only for copying DVDs, not for making a DVD copy of anything recorded
    >> from DirecTV.
    >> Charlie Hoffpauir
    >> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    >Wow, 160 GB for only about $325 delivered. The specs sound great but the
    >user reviews aren't so good:
    >
    >"Programs recorded to hard drive start out fine, but as show progresses,
    >audio and video begin to slip out of sync. By the end of a 2-hour
    >program, audio and video are often off by 2 seconds."

    Fixed in most recent firmware

    >"Noisy drive motor. Over sensitive remote control. Timeshift is
    >practically useless. Poor picture quality output, ie: poor color,
    >picture size is altered (squished) in High Definition mode."

    See above

    >"...glaring negative is the lack of MPEG-4 video compression, which
    >would have easily increased onboard storage limits by an order of
    >magnitude. Still, even if not for recording, basic MPEG-4 playback
    >support would have been a nice touch."

    Its a "DVD" recorder !!!!! DVD is Mpeg2

    >Seems like this one definitely has a few problems. I visited the web
    >site and their "Service and Support" on standalone DVD recorders is
    >non-existent except for downloadable firmware upgrades.

    What do you want????
    At least they are always improving their unit.
    GMAN, Jun 5, 2005
  13. FAQmeister

    FAQmeister Guest

    "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    > In article <d7tt04$mha$>, "FAQmeister"
    > <> wrote:
    >> "Charlie Hoffpauir" <> wrote in message

    >>> I'd like to possibly add to your problem. You haven't considered the
    >>> Lite-on LVW-5045. Here are the specs:
    >>> http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/product/ce/LVW-5045-S-0909-Eng.pdf
    >>> (and it's just over $300 with free shipping at Buy.com)
    >>> It's what I'd get if I were buying now. However I already have both
    >>> the solutions you are considering.... a stand alone (with 80 GB HDD)
    >>> and a good video capture card with an ATI All-in-wonder. both give
    >>> very good results... I really can't see the difference. But the
    >>> stand alone unit is cheaper and much easier. I now use the computer
    >>> option only for copying DVDs, not for making a DVD copy of anything
    >>> recorded from DirecTV.
    >>> Charlie Hoffpauir
    >>> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    >> Wow, 160 GB for only about $325 delivered. The specs sound great but
    >> the user reviews aren't so good:
    >>
    >> "Programs recorded to hard drive start out fine, but as show
    >> progresses, audio and video begin to slip out of sync. By the end of
    >> a 2-hour program, audio and video are often off by 2 seconds."
    >>

    > Fixed in most recent firmware
    >
    >> "Noisy drive motor. Over sensitive remote control. Timeshift is
    >> practically useless. Poor picture quality output, ie: poor color,
    >> picture size is altered (squished) in High Definition mode."

    > See above

    Thanks. I'll check it out some more.

    >> Seems like this one definitely has a few problems. I visited the web
    >> site and their "Service and Support" on standalone DVD recorders is
    >> non-existent except for downloadable firmware upgrades.

    > What do you want????
    > At least they are always improving their unit.

    Downloadable manual. Troubleshooting guide. Warranty info. etc.
    FAQmeister, Jun 6, 2005
  14. On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 16:02:57 -0700, "FAQmeister"
    <> wrote:

    An option would be to buy a PVR - Personal Video Recorder. They are
    available on eBay for around AUS$250. The one I got has a single TV
    tuner with an 80 Gb HD. It stores around 28 hours of digital (not
    analog) TV but it can only play back to a SD TV.
    If you spend a lot more money, you can buy a 2 or 3 tuner PVR with a
    160 Gb HD, but it costs 3 or 4 times as much.

    >"Bob D." <> wrote in message
    >> The standalone recorders ALWAYS have good capture hardware. Some of
    >> the cheaper PC capture cards do a lousy job. If you do use the PC,
    >> use a good capture card. Personally, I prefer the standalone. Every
    >> sunday I set the timer to record all my favorite shows for the whole
    >> week (to the hard drive). With the hard drive I then have the option
    >> to erase a show, or record it to a blank DVD. If you do get a
    >> standalone, I highly recommend one with a hard drive.
    >>

    >Thanks Bob, and everyone else who responded. Your input and further
    >research on my part has led me to the following conclusions:
    >
    >I'd like the convenience of a standalone recorder with a hard disk, but
    >the addition of a large hard disk (120 GB or greater) raises the prices
    >far higher than they should be. Other downsides are having all my eggs
    >in one basket, so to speak, and no way to repair it by myself or upgrade
    >in the future. If I'm willing to live with that and settle for an 80 GB
    >hard disk, the Pioneer DVR-520H-S goes for about $415.
    >
    >Or I could outfit a computer just for my entertainment center. It would
    >be more versatile and I could continue to upgrade it over time. I have
    >some of what I need already for that computer, including a couple of 120
    >GB drives, but I would have to buy a tuner card, upgrade the
    >motherboard, cpu and video card and add some more memory. All that will
    >probaby cost me close to $500, and with that comes the ability to
    >upgrade and repair it, but it won't be as easy or convenient to use as a
    >standalone.
    >
    >I still can't make up my mind.

    Sig:
    Work saves us from three great evils: boredom, vice and need. -Voltaire,
    philosopher (1694-1778)
    Rotes Sapiens, Jun 9, 2005