    onboard HDD for recording?

    Sincerely,
    Paul Rubin
    Paul Rubin, Apr 23, 2004

  2. "Paul Rubin" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Hello all. Does anyone know of a good DVD Recorder for home viewing
    | through a TV that supports Closed Captions both in viewing and
    | recording? I recently purchased a Pioneer DVD-R 510H-S which the
    | customer support department told me would support Closed Captions,
    | however the unit garbles the CC's. I have sent it in for repair and
    | they flashed the firmware, however it does the exact same thing. Any
    | signal that passes through the unit through any set of inputs and
    | outputs gets garbled closed captions. I have had several VCR's in the
    | same position and I've never had this problem before.
    |
    | Please let me know if you have a suggestion, perhaps even one with an
    | onboard HDD for recording?

    I have a Philips DVDR-985 and it records and plays CC just fine.

    JaF
    Just a friend, Apr 23, 2004

  3. A cheap Cyberhome dvd recorder played back closed captioned fine. It's not the
    player that does it though. It's the tv. Just make a recording normally
    (with closed captioned on the tv turned OFF). Then when the closed captions on
    the tv are turned ON, the disc should play back fine with non-garbled closed
    captions (unless it's a weak tv signal from a tv station).

    I think I know what your problem is. I have sen several closed-caption-capable
    vcr's saying that if the recordings are made with the closed captioned on,
    they'll be garbled when played back.

    So I assume you're trying to record the programs with the closed captions
    turned on.
    Waterperson77, Apr 24, 2004
  4. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Thanks for your reply. Actually I have cable TV feed passing through
    the DVD-R machine and then output to the TV, WITHOUT recording at all!
    Just having the signal passing through the Pioneer causes the CC's to
    become garbled!

    Sincerely,
    Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin, Apr 24, 2004