    watching TV without it or a Tivo or similar). I would welcome any
    comments on this or other DVD recorders to consider.
    Thanks

    stc007lhc, Nov 5, 2003

  2. stc007lhc

    Moviezzz Guest

    Hi,

    The Panasonics are excellent. I have the DMR E80 and would highly recommend
    it.

    About the hard drive, I know you may not think you will need it, but I thought
    the same thing and it is now my favorite thing about the machine.

    With blank DVDs costing up to $2 each, it makes sense so that you can record
    something, edit it, and then burn it to DVD. Sometimes you will find if you
    record something, it may not be worth burning to DVD. Or, if you set the
    timer, often times the cable may go out or there may be some time glitch
    causing the recording to be not worth saving.

    Plus, with a high failure rate among some blank DVDs (especially no name
    brands), you may find yourself taping something and then, halfway through, get
    a disc failure warning and the program is gone.

    Anyway, the DMR 80 is $520 at Amazon so I highly recommend it.

    Moviezzz, Nov 6, 2003

  3. stc007lhc

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: ospam (Moviezzz)
    Date: Thu, Nov 6, 2003 1:52 PM

    Hi,

    The Panasonics are excellent. I have the DMR E80 and would highly recommend
    it.

    About the hard drive, I know you may not think you will need it, but I thought
    the same thing and it is now my favorite thing about the machine.

    With blank DVDs costing up to $2 each, it makes sense so that you can record
    something, edit it, and then burn it to DVD. Sometimes you will find if you
    record something, it may not be worth burning to DVD. Or, if you set the
    timer, often times the cable may go out or there may be some time glitch
    causing the recording to be not worth saving.

    Plus, with a high failure rate among some blank DVDs (especially no name
    brands), you may find yourself taping something and then, halfway through, get
    a disc failure warning and the program is gone.

    Anyway, the DMR 80 is $520 at Amazon so I highly recommend it.
    >><BR><BR>

    I don't have the DMR model but do have a DMR-HS2 model.

    I would concur with the above comments in that, IMHO, a hard drive is essential
    to get the full value out of these recorders.

    In addition to the above comments, I would add: What are you going to do if you
    go on vacation and you have more shows that you wish to record than will fit on
    one disk? (Anything worth saving should not be in any greater record mode than
    4 hours (preferably 2 hour mode). Furthermore, the ease of removing commercials
    and THEN burning a DVD-r disk can't be over emphasized.

    FredBillie, Nov 7, 2003
  4. stc007lhc

    Perra Guest

    "stc007lhc" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > I've been looking at the Toshiba D-R1 especially now that it can be found
    > for $399 at various sources. The capability of DVD-RAM, -R, and -RW
    > would seem to provide a lot of flexibility and interoperability. It
    > also has a IEEE 1394 port which I consider essential as I want to be
    > able to use it to burn DVDs from my miniDV camcorder. My other main
    > use at first would be conversion of a bunch of VHS tapes to DVD. I
    > don't think I need a built in hard drive as I already have a
    > DishNetwork PVR (which is wonderful and I would never go back to
    > watching TV without it or a Tivo or similar). I would welcome any
    > comments on this or other DVD recorders to consider.
    > Thanks

    But i would buy a Pioneer

    Perra, Nov 7, 2003
  5. stc007lhc

    > I've been looking at the Toshiba D-R1 especially now that it can be found
    > for $399 at vario us sources. The capability of DVD-RAM, -R, and -RW
    > would seem to provide a lot of flexibility and interoperability. It
    > also has a IEEE 1394 port which I consider essential as I want to be
    > able to use it to burn DVDs from my miniDV camcorder. My other main
    > use at first would be conversion of a bunch of VHS tapes to DVD. I
    > don't think I need a built in hard drive as I already have a
    > DishNetwork PVR (which is wonderful and I would never go back to
    > watching TV without it or a Tivo or similar). I would welcome any
    > comments on this or other DVD recorders to consider.
    > Thanks

    But i would buy a Pioneer 5100H instead,..........dont really like
    panasonics format DVD-RAM

    Pelle

    Perra, Nov 7, 2003