    Also, is there a reason that the recorders with hard drives only come with
    S-VHS inputs?

    Thanks in advance for your reply.
    Marion, May 14, 2004

  2. Marion

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Marion wrote:
    > I am looking for a DVD recorder to use with my DV camcorder. I am
    > trying to make this a general purpose purchase. I would like to
    > purchase a DVD Recorder that has a DV input and a hard drive.
    >
    > I have looked at a lot of different stores and I can't find a
    > recorder with both a hard drive and a DV input. All of the recorders
    > with a hard drive have a S-VHS input and not DV input. How much
    > resolution would I sacrifice by purchasing the recorder with the
    > S-VHS input instead of the recorder with the DV input?
    >
    > Also, is there a reason that the recorders with hard drives only come
    > with S-VHS inputs?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your reply.

    There are a few on the market. A couple which come to mind include the
    Sharp dv-hr300u and the Panasonic DMR-E100H.

    If you have a look at www.videohelp.com and do a search through their
    recorder listings you should find many others.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 14, 2004

  3. Marion

    GrayhawkJW Guest

    >I am looking for a DVD recorder to use with my DV camcorder. I am trying to
    >make this a general purpose purchase. I would like to purchase a DVD
    >Recorder that has a DV input and a hard drive.
    >
    >I have looked at a lot of different stores and I can't find a recorder with
    >both a hard drive and a DV input. All of the recorders with a hard drive
    >have a S-VHS input and not DV input. How much resolution would I sacrifice
    >by purchasing the recorder with the S-VHS input instead of the recorder with
    >the DV input?
    >
    >Also, is there a reason that the recorders with hard drives only come with
    >S-VHS inputs?
    >
    >Thanks in advance for your reply.

    I just got a Pioneer DVR 510h which has all you seek- the DV input/output is a
    firewire link. Great machine and the price has come down $200 since it was
    introduced- I got it for $699. Very happy with it.

    Now, if I could just get some feedback to the question I asked about which/
    where to buy bulk DVDr's...
    Jim
    GrayhawkJW, May 15, 2004
  4. Marion

    Guest

    On 15 May 2004 16:17:54 GMT, (GrayhawkJW) wrote:

    >>I am looking for a DVD recorder to use with my DV camcorder. I am trying to
    >>make this a general purpose purchase. I would like to purchase a DVD
    >>Recorder that has a DV input and a hard drive.
    >>
    >>I have looked at a lot of different stores and I can't find a recorder with
    >>both a hard drive and a DV input. All of the recorders with a hard drive
    >>have a S-VHS input and not DV input. How much resolution would I sacrifice
    >>by purchasing the recorder with the S-VHS input instead of the recorder with
    >>the DV input?
    >>
    >>Also, is there a reason that the recorders with hard drives only come with
    >>S-VHS inputs?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance for your reply.
    >>

    >I just got a Pioneer DVR 510h which has all you seek- the DV input/output is a
    >firewire link. Great machine and the price has come down $200 since it was
    >introduced- I got it for $699. Very happy with it.
    >
    >Now, if I could just get some feedback to the question I asked about which/
    >where to buy bulk DVDr's...
    >Jim

    www.rima.com
    , May 15, 2004
  5. Marion

    Shinner Guest

    (GrayhawkJW) wrote in

    > I just got a Pioneer DVR 510h which has all you seek- the DV
    > input/output is a firewire link. Great machine and the price has come
    > down $200 since it was introduced- I got it for $699. Very happy with
    > it.

    I got one recently too....real nice. Only problem I'm having though is that
    even if I set up chapters, for some reason they're not being carried over
    to the burned disc. Need to RTM to see if I have a setting wrong.
    Shinner, May 16, 2004
  6. Marion

    GrayhawkJW Guest

    >>Now, if I could just get some feedback to the question I asked about which/
    >>where to buy bulk DVDr's...
    >>Jim

    > www.rima.com

    Thanks for this site- it looks good. I'm still not sure which discs to buy. I
    saw in another thread that taiyo yuden were the only truly reliable cdr's- they
    are quite a bit more expensive as dvdr's- but is this the best way to go?

    Jim
    GrayhawkJW, May 16, 2004
  7. Marion

    GrayhawkJW Guest

    >> I just got a Pioneer DVR 510h which has all you seek- the DV
    >> input/output is a firewire link. Great machine and the price has come
    >> down $200 since it was introduced- I got it for $699. Very happy with
    >> it.

    >I got one recently too....real nice. Only problem I'm having though is that
    >even if I set up chapters, for some reason they're not being carried over
    >to the burned disc. Need to RTM to see if I have a setting wrong.

    Can't help here as I still have not burned any discs- I have set up chapters on
    the HDD- only way to edit out unwanted bits that I can see- and they work fine.
    Don't know how they are supposed to transfer when burned to disc, but I
    believe you can insert chapter marks manually. RTM is always a good thing, of
    course.

    BTW, my original post was wrong about the price- I got it for $599, not 699.

    Jim
    GrayhawkJW, May 16, 2004
  8. Marion

    Shinner Guest

    (GrayhawkJW) wrote in

    > Can't help here as I still have not burned any discs- I have set up
    > chapters on the HDD- only way to edit out unwanted bits that I can
    > see- and they work fine.

    same here...works fine from the HDD.

    > Don't know how they are supposed to transfer when burned to disc, but
    > I believe you can insert chapter marks manually.

    I usually go into the title that's recorded and do the edit chapters bit,
    which creates a bunch of thumbnails on the screen indicating chapters (even
    the numbering indicates that). Then you go to the screen for copying to a
    DVD and you add the title, it gets copied to the disc, then you finalize
    (where you pick a menu) and the damn thing ends up not having chapters. I
    must have a setting wrong.

    > BTW, my original post was wrong about the price- I got it for $599,
    > not 699.

    Got mine for $517 net ($617-$100 rebate)
    Shinner, May 16, 2004