    Also, are they connected between the TV and VCR, into the output of
    the VCR or into the output of the TV?

    Thanks.

    PowerPost2000, Jan 22, 2006

  2. PowerPost2000

    Martik Guest

    "PowerPost2000" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > do these recorders have TV tuners and timers, like a VCR?

    yes

    > Can I set it like the VCR to record when I'm not home,

    yes

    > Also, are they connected between the TV and VCR, into the output of
    > the VCR or into the output of the TV?

    they will replace your VCR

    Martik, Jan 22, 2006

  3. On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:18:06 GMT, "Martik"
    <> wrote:

    >"PowerPost2000" <> wrote in message
    >> do these recorders have TV tuners and timers, like a VCR?

    >yes
    >

    >> Can I set it like the VCR to record when I'm not home,

    >yes
    >
    >> Also, are they connected between the TV and VCR, into the output of
    >> the VCR or into the output of the TV?

    >they will replace your VCR

    Sounds good. thanks.

    PowerPost2000, Jan 22, 2006
  4. PowerPost2000

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:iESAf.90294$m05.53872@clgrps12,
    Martik spewed forth:
    > "PowerPost2000" <> wrote in message
    >> do these recorders have TV tuners and timers, like a VCR?

    > yes
    >

    >> Can I set it like the VCR to record when I'm not home,

    > yes
    >
    >> Also, are they connected between the TV and VCR, into the output of
    >> the VCR or into the output of the TV?

    > they will replace your VCR

    Or supplement them. I still have two VCRs and my DVR in my system.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2006
  5. PowerPost2000

    Martik Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:iESAf.90294$m05.53872@clgrps12,
    > Martik spewed forth:
    >> "PowerPost2000" <> wrote in message
    >>> do these recorders have TV tuners and timers, like a VCR?

    >> yes
    >>

    >>> Can I set it like the VCR to record when I'm not home,

    >> yes
    >>
    >>> Also, are they connected between the TV and VCR, into the output of
    >>> the VCR or into the output of the TV?

    >> they will replace your VCR

    > Or supplement them. I still have two VCRs and my DVR in my system.

    I can't stand the poor quality of VCR's after using a DVR. Hopefully, the
    prices of HD models will come down soon.

    Martik, Jan 23, 2006
  6. PowerPost2000

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:HJXAf.172771$OU5.84367@clgrps13,
    Martik spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:iESAf.90294$m05.53872@clgrps12,
    >> Martik spewed forth:
    >>> "PowerPost2000" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> yes

    >>> yes

    >>> they will replace your VCR

    >> Or supplement them. I still have two VCRs and my DVR in my system.
    >>

    > I can't stand the poor quality of VCR's after using a DVR. Hopefully,
    > the prices of HD models will come down soon.

    Agreed. I only use my VCR for time shifting late night TV shows - nothing
    I'd want to keep.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 23, 2006
  7. PowerPost2000

    zaax Guest

    PowerPost2000 wrote:

    > do these recorders have TV tuners and timers, like a VCR?

    Yes, some of them also have built in Freeview tuners

    > Can I set it like the VCR to record when I'm not home, or do they only
    > record what's on the TV?

    yes,

    > Also, are they connected between the TV and VCR, into the output of
    > the VCR or into the output of the TV?

    no, TV - DVD - Digibox - TV. They mostly only have 2 SCART sockets

    > Thanks.

    see http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ for more info.

    zaax

    zaax, Jan 23, 2006
  8. DVD recorder---A new question

    When we bought our DVD recorder for our entertainment center one of
    the selling points was that we would be able to make copies of our
    numerous movies from the original VHS tapes before they become
    unusable. We were told we would be able to do this at Ultimate
    Electronics, Best Buy and Radio Shack.

    I think you know what happened. As soon as I start copying one the
    recorder senses that it is a copyrighted movie and will not record it.

    So now we have 50 blank DVD-R disks and we still have over 500 movies
    on VHS; some of them over 20 years old.

    I don't want to make any copies to sell or even to share. I just want
    to preserve all the movies we bought over the years.

    Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Thank you all for your help.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 23, 2006
  9. PowerPost2000

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: DVD recorder---A new question

    In news:g57Bf.720000$x96.660735@attbi_s72,
    Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    > When we bought our DVD recorder for our entertainment center one of
    > the selling points was that we would be able to make copies of our
    > numerous movies from the original VHS tapes before they become
    > unusable. We were told we would be able to do this at Ultimate
    > Electronics, Best Buy and Radio Shack.
    >
    > I think you know what happened. As soon as I start copying one the
    > recorder senses that it is a copyrighted movie and will not record it.
    >
    > So now we have 50 blank DVD-R disks and we still have over 500 movies
    > on VHS; some of them over 20 years old.
    >
    > I don't want to make any copies to sell or even to share. I just want
    > to preserve all the movies we bought over the years.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you all for your help.

    I understand completely. I haven't actually tried this yet (my DVR is hard
    drive based, much like a TIVO.) Since I don't have that type of DVD
    recorder, I'd be using my PC - record the VHS to the PC, then burn to DVD.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 23, 2006
  10. Re: DVD recorder---A new question

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:g57Bf.720000$x96.660735@attbi_s72,
    > Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    >
    >>When we bought our DVD recorder for our entertainment center one of
    >>the selling points was that we would be able to make copies of our
    >>numerous movies from the original VHS tapes before they become
    >>unusable. We were told we would be able to do this at Ultimate
    >>Electronics, Best Buy and Radio Shack.
    >>
    >>I think you know what happened. As soon as I start copying one the
    >>recorder senses that it is a copyrighted movie and will not record it.
    >>
    >>So now we have 50 blank DVD-R disks and we still have over 500 movies
    >>on VHS; some of them over 20 years old.
    >>
    >>I don't want to make any copies to sell or even to share. I just want
    >>to preserve all the movies we bought over the years.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >>
    >>Thank you all for your help.

    > I understand completely. I haven't actually tried this yet (my DVR is hard
    > drive based, much like a TIVO.) Since I don't have that type of DVD
    > recorder, I'd be using my PC - record the VHS to the PC, then burn to DVD.

    Okay. So what modifications do I need to make to this computer to be
    able to do that? A new sound card? A new video card with hookups for
    the three audio/video cables from a VCR? Since we have an extra VCR it
    would be very easy to set one up right beside this computer.

    When I called Best Buy I got a young kid that acted as if he didn't
    really want to talk to me about it. He said I needed a new card with a
    built in video tuner and will have the RCA hookups and I should expect
    to pay between $130 and $180 for it. Don't you just hate it when you
    get someone with an attitude like that? Besides, after them telling me
    that I would be able to rerecord all of our VHS and BETA movies to
    DVD-R disks on our entertainment center DVD recorder I am reluctant to
    believe anything without seeing it done first.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 23, 2006
  11. PowerPost2000

    AGEE Guest

    Re: DVD recorder---A new question

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:05:48 GMT, "Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa
    Chuck"@B4ME.org> wrote:

    >Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:g57Bf.720000$x96.660735@attbi_s72,
    >> Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    >>
    >>>When we bought our DVD recorder for our entertainment center one of
    >>>the selling points was that we would be able to make copies of our
    >>>numerous movies from the original VHS tapes before they become
    >>>unusable. We were told we would be able to do this at Ultimate
    >>>Electronics, Best Buy and Radio Shack.
    >>>
    >>>I think you know what happened. As soon as I start copying one the
    >>>recorder senses that it is a copyrighted movie and will not record it.
    >>>
    >>>So now we have 50 blank DVD-R disks and we still have over 500 movies
    >>>on VHS; some of them over 20 years old.
    >>>
    >>>I don't want to make any copies to sell or even to share. I just want
    >>>to preserve all the movies we bought over the years.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>>Thank you all for your help.

    >> I understand completely. I haven't actually tried this yet (my DVR is hard
    >> drive based, much like a TIVO.) Since I don't have that type of DVD
    >> recorder, I'd be using my PC - record the VHS to the PC, then burn to DVD.
    >>

    >Okay. So what modifications do I need to make to this computer to be
    >able to do that? A new sound card? A new video card with hookups for
    >the three audio/video cables from a VCR? Since we have an extra VCR it
    >would be very easy to set one up right beside this computer.
    >
    >When I called Best Buy I got a young kid that acted as if he didn't
    >really want to talk to me about it. He said I needed a new card with a
    >built in video tuner and will have the RCA hookups and I should expect
    >to pay between $130 and $180 for it. Don't you just hate it when you
    >get someone with an attitude like that? Besides, after them telling me
    >that I would be able to rerecord all of our VHS and BETA movies to
    >DVD-R disks on our entertainment center DVD recorder I am reluctant to
    >believe anything without seeing it done first.

    I bought a pinnacle tv tuner card with video capture facility for £30
    (about 50 USD) here in the UK. Can't believe they would be anymore
    expensive across there. Takes sound and S video from the VCR. You'd
    possibly need software to convert to whatever format you wanted on
    DVD. Quite simple to use once you get things installed.

    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer Products/PCTV/PCTV/

    AGEE, Jan 23, 2006
  12. PowerPost2000

    Mitch Guest

    Re: DVD recorder---A new question

    In article <g57Bf.720000$x96.660735@attbi_s72>, Grandpa Chuck <
    Chuck"@B4ME.org> wrote:

    > When we bought our DVD recorder for our entertainment center one of
    > the selling points was that we would be able to make copies of our
    > numerous movies from the original VHS tapes before they become
    > unusable. We were told we would be able to do this at Ultimate
    > Electronics, Best Buy and Radio Shack.
    >
    > I think you know what happened. As soon as I start copying one the
    > recorder senses that it is a copyrighted movie and will not record it.
    >
    > So now we have 50 blank DVD-R disks and we still have over 500 movies
    > on VHS; some of them over 20 years old.
    >
    > I don't want to make any copies to sell or even to share. I just want
    > to preserve all the movies we bought over the years.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions?

    How are the devices connected?
    I'm not familiar with the ways that copy protection is engaged, but
    some types MIGHT only work when they are directly connected; you may
    still be able to play the movie into the TV and record from the TV
    itself, for instance.
    You'd be processing the signal twice, and so reducing the quality a bit
    by the quality of the processors.

    There may be other devices to connect between that cut out the
    copy-protection signal.

    Sme thing with the computer solution -- you are processing the video
    and converting it, so the frame size and frame rate and some other
    differences can affect the quality. A better video card helps that, but
    as the retailer noted, you pay more for doing it that way.

    Mitch, Jan 23, 2006
  13. PowerPost2000

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Re: DVD recorder---A new question

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:01:16 GMT, "Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa
    Chuck"@B4ME.org> wrote:

    >When we bought our DVD recorder for our entertainment center one of
    >the selling points was that we would be able to make copies of our
    >numerous movies from the original VHS tapes before they become
    >unusable. We were told we would be able to do this at Ultimate
    >Electronics, Best Buy and Radio Shack.
    >
    >I think you know what happened. As soon as I start copying one the
    >recorder senses that it is a copyrighted movie and will not record it.
    >
    >So now we have 50 blank DVD-R disks and we still have over 500 movies
    >on VHS; some of them over 20 years old.
    >
    >I don't want to make any copies to sell or even to share. I just want
    >to preserve all the movies we bought over the years.
    >
    >Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >
    >Thank you all for your help.

    Google for "macrovision defeat recording" - might find something

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jan 23, 2006
  14. PowerPost2000

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: DVD recorder---A new question

    In news:,
    AGEE spewed forth:
    > On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:05:48 GMT, "Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa
    > Chuck"@B4ME.org> wrote:
    >

    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>> In news:g57Bf.720000$x96.660735@attbi_s72,
    >>> Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:

    >>> I understand completely. I haven't actually tried this yet (my DVR
    >>> is hard drive based, much like a TIVO.) Since I don't have that
    >>> type of DVD recorder, I'd be using my PC - record the VHS to the
    >>> PC, then burn to DVD.
    >>>

    >> Okay. So what modifications do I need to make to this computer to be
    >> able to do that? A new sound card? A new video card with hookups for
    >> the three audio/video cables from a VCR? Since we have an extra VCR
    >> it would be very easy to set one up right beside this computer.
    >>
    >> When I called Best Buy I got a young kid that acted as if he didn't
    >> really want to talk to me about it. He said I needed a new card with
    >> a built in video tuner and will have the RCA hookups and I should
    >> expect to pay between $130 and $180 for it. Don't you just hate it
    >> when you get someone with an attitude like that? Besides, after them
    >> telling me that I would be able to rerecord all of our VHS and BETA
    >> movies to DVD-R disks on our entertainment center DVD recorder I am
    >> reluctant to believe anything without seeing it done first.

    > I bought a pinnacle tv tuner card with video capture facility for £30
    > (about 50 USD) here in the UK. Can't believe they would be anymore
    > expensive across there. Takes sound and S video from the VCR. You'd
    > possibly need software to convert to whatever format you wanted on
    > DVD. Quite simple to use once you get things installed.
    >
    > http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer Products/PCTV/PCTV/

    Exactly - I have a cheap TV capture card, and it's adequate for VHS. (I
    wouldn't recommend this particular card though - configuration wasn't
    exactly "plug 'n play".) If you have a decent speed PC and plenty of hard
    drive space, you can get by with pretty much any capture card. There are
    even some nice ones that are connected USB instead of installed inside the
    PC.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 24, 2006
  15. PowerPost2000

    Martik Guest

    "Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck"@B4ME.org> wrote in message

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:g57Bf.720000$x96.660735@attbi_s72,
    >> Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:
    >>
    >>>When we bought our DVD recorder for our entertainment center one of
    >>>the selling points was that we would be able to make copies of our
    >>>numerous movies from the original VHS tapes before they become
    >>>unusable. We were told we would be able to do this at Ultimate
    >>>Electronics, Best Buy and Radio Shack.
    >>>
    >>>I think you know what happened. As soon as I start copying one the
    >>>recorder senses that it is a copyrighted movie and will not record it.
    >>>
    >>>So now we have 50 blank DVD-R disks and we still have over 500 movies
    >>>on VHS; some of them over 20 years old.
    >>>
    >>>I don't want to make any copies to sell or even to share. I just want
    >>>to preserve all the movies we bought over the years.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>>Thank you all for your help.

    >> I understand completely. I haven't actually tried this yet (my DVR is
    >> hard drive based, much like a TIVO.) Since I don't have that type of DVD
    >> recorder, I'd be using my PC - record the VHS to the PC, then burn to
    >> DVD.
    >>

    > Okay. So what modifications do I need to make to this computer to be able
    > to do that? A new sound card? A new video card with hookups for the three
    > audio/video cables from a VCR? Since we have an extra VCR it would be very
    > easy to set one up right beside this computer.
    >
    > When I called Best Buy I got a young kid that acted as if he didn't really
    > want to talk to me about it. He said I needed a new card with a built in
    > video tuner and will have the RCA hookups and I should expect to pay
    > between $130 and $180 for it. Don't you just hate it when you get someone
    > with an attitude like that? Besides, after them telling me that I would be
    > able to rerecord all of our VHS and BETA movies to DVD-R disks on our
    > entertainment center DVD recorder I am reluctant to believe anything
    > without seeing it done first.

    This is a good one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16814122180

    Read the reviews - you will learn a lot.

    Also check out www.vcdhelp.com "Capture cards" and "How-to's"

    Martik, Jan 24, 2006
  16. PowerPost2000

    Martik Guest

    > In news:,
    > AGEE spewed forth:
    >> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:05:48 GMT, "Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa
    >> Chuck"@B4ME.org> wrote:

    >>> Okay. So what modifications do I need to make to this computer to be
    >>> able to do that? A new sound card? A new video card with hookups for
    >>> the three audio/video cables from a VCR? Since we have an extra VCR
    >>> it would be very easy to set one up right beside this computer.
    >>>
    >>> When I called Best Buy I got a young kid that acted as if he didn't
    >>> really want to talk to me about it. He said I needed a new card with
    >>> a built in video tuner and will have the RCA hookups and I should
    >>> expect to pay between $130 and $180 for it. Don't you just hate it
    >>> when you get someone with an attitude like that? Besides, after them
    >>> telling me that I would be able to rerecord all of our VHS and BETA
    >>> movies to DVD-R disks on our entertainment center DVD recorder I am
    >>> reluctant to believe anything without seeing it done first.

    >> I bought a pinnacle tv tuner card with video capture facility for £30
    >> (about 50 USD) here in the UK. Can't believe they would be anymore
    >> expensive across there. Takes sound and S video from the VCR. You'd
    >> possibly need software to convert to whatever format you wanted on
    >> DVD. Quite simple to use once you get things installed.
    >>
    >> http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer Products/PCTV/PCTV/

    > Exactly - I have a cheap TV capture card, and it's adequate for VHS. (I
    > wouldn't recommend this particular card though - configuration wasn't
    > exactly "plug 'n play".) If you have a decent speed PC and plenty of hard
    > drive space, you can get by with pretty much any capture card. There are
    > even some nice ones that are connected USB instead of installed inside the
    > PC.

    What do you use for Capturing?

    Martik, Jan 24, 2006
  17. PowerPost2000

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: DVD recorder---A new question

    In news:r2fBf.108578$AP5.106528@edtnps84,
    Martik spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:,
    >> AGEE spewed forth:

    >>> I bought a pinnacle tv tuner card with video capture facility for
    >>> £30 (about 50 USD) here in the UK. Can't believe they would be
    >>> anymore expensive across there. Takes sound and S video from the
    >>> VCR. You'd possibly need software to convert to whatever format you
    >>> wanted on DVD. Quite simple to use once you get things installed.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer Products/PCTV/PCTV/

    >> Exactly - I have a cheap TV capture card, and it's adequate for VHS.
    >> (I wouldn't recommend this particular card though - configuration
    >> wasn't exactly "plug 'n play".) If you have a decent speed PC and
    >> plenty of hard drive space, you can get by with pretty much any
    >> capture card. There are even some nice ones that are connected USB
    >> instead of installed inside the PC.
    >>

    > What do you use for Capturing?

    Some crappy thing that came with the cheapo card...AverMedia TV

    Toolman Tim, Jan 24, 2006
  18. Re: DVD recorder---A new question

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:,

    > Exactly - I have a cheap TV capture card, and it's adequate for VHS. (I
    > wouldn't recommend this particular card though - configuration wasn't
    > exactly "plug 'n play".) If you have a decent speed PC and plenty of hard
    > drive space, you can get by with pretty much any capture card. There are
    > even some nice ones that are connected USB instead of installed inside the
    > PC.

    Is that what I ask for? A TV capture card?

    Is that in addition to the video card that is already in the computer?

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 24, 2006
  19. Re: DVD recorder---A new question

    Martik wrote:

    > "Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck"@B4ME.org> wrote in message
    >

    >>Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>>In news:g57Bf.720000$x96.660735@attbi_s72,
    >>>Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck spewed forth:

    >>>I understand completely. I haven't actually tried this yet (my DVR is
    >>>hard drive based, much like a TIVO.) Since I don't have that type of DVD
    >>>recorder, I'd be using my PC - record the VHS to the PC, then burn to
    >>>DVD.
    >>>

    >>Okay. So what modifications do I need to make to this computer to be able
    >>to do that? A new sound card? A new video card with hookups for the three
    >>audio/video cables from a VCR? Since we have an extra VCR it would be very
    >>easy to set one up right beside this computer.
    >>
    >>When I called Best Buy I got a young kid that acted as if he didn't really
    >>want to talk to me about it. He said I needed a new card with a built in
    >>video tuner and will have the RCA hookups and I should expect to pay
    >>between $130 and $180 for it. Don't you just hate it when you get someone
    >>with an attitude like that? Besides, after them telling me that I would be
    >>able to rerecord all of our VHS and BETA movies to DVD-R disks on our
    >>entertainment center DVD recorder I am reluctant to believe anything
    >>without seeing it done first.
    >>

    > This is a good one:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16814122180
    >
    > Read the reviews - you will learn a lot.
    >
    > Also check out www.vcdhelp.com "Capture cards" and "How-to's"

    It certainly looks good. I bookmarked the page.

    Have you used this to record a movie you have purchased on VHS?
    Are you sure you can make a good recording of a movie that has
    Macrovision on it?
    Did you need additional software?

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 24, 2006
  20. PowerPost2000

    Martik Guest

    > Martik wrote:
    >
    >> "Grandpa Chuck" <"Grandpa Chuck"@B4ME.org> wrote in message

    >>>Okay. So what modifications do I need to make to this computer to be able
    >>>to do that? A new sound card? A new video card with hookups for the three
    >>>audio/video cables from a VCR? Since we have an extra VCR it would be
    >>>very easy to set one up right beside this computer.
    >>>
    >>>When I called Best Buy I got a young kid that acted as if he didn't
    >>>really want to talk to me about it. He said I needed a new card with a
    >>>built in video tuner and will have the RCA hookups and I should expect to
    >>>pay between $130 and $180 for it. Don't you just hate it when you get
    >>>someone with an attitude like that? Besides, after them telling me that I
    >>>would be able to rerecord all of our VHS and BETA movies to DVD-R disks
    >>>on our entertainment center DVD recorder I am reluctant to believe
    >>>anything without seeing it done first.
    >>>

    >> This is a good one:
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16814122180
    >>
    >> Read the reviews - you will learn a lot.
    >>
    >> Also check out www.vcdhelp.com "Capture cards" and "How-to's"
    >>

    > It certainly looks good. I bookmarked the page.
    >
    > Have you used this to record a movie you have purchased on VHS?
    > Are you sure you can make a good recording of a movie that has Macrovision
    > on it?

    No, personal experience with Macrovision but read the reviews and vcdhelp
    for that info.

    > Did you need additional software?

    Yes, free Virtualdub plus many others, again read the links

    Martik, Jan 24, 2006