DVD Recoarders, no suitable media that lasts..?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Osborn, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Frank Osborn

    Frank Osborn Guest

    Seems from what I have been reading these are a Utter Con as no decent RW
    media that lasts, seems that RW disks can crap out after some 12 uses from
    what I have read in the CD news group.


    Seems that the Panasonic DVD RAM is the Only way with 100,000 write cycles.

    And real facts on this..?
     
    Frank Osborn, Feb 15, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Frank Osborn

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:25:10 +1300, Frank Osborn
    <> wrote:

    >
    >
    >
    >Seems from what I have been reading these are a Utter Con as no decent RW
    >media that lasts, seems that RW disks can crap out after some 12 uses from
    >what I have read in the CD news group.


    It must be true then Woger, so you'd better not buy one until 2020 when all the
    new standards will be in place.
     
    Invisible, Feb 15, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Frank Osborn

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Frank Osborn" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    >
    >
    >
    > Seems from what I have been reading these are a Utter Con as no decent RW
    > media that lasts, seems that RW disks can crap out after some 12 uses

    from
    > what I have read in the CD news group.
    >
    >
    > Seems that the Panasonic DVD RAM is the Only way with 100,000 write

    cycles.
    >
    > And real facts on this..?
    >

    Talk to your alter ego Roger Shepard he has the facts on everything
     
    Craig Sutton, Feb 15, 2004
    #3
  4. Frank Osborn

    Frank Osborn Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:38:51 +1300, Invisible <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:25:10 +1300, Frank Osborn
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>Seems from what I have been reading these are a Utter Con as no decent RW
    >>media that lasts, seems that RW disks can crap out after some 12 uses from
    >>what I have read in the CD news group.

    >
    >It must be true then Woger, so you'd better not buy one until 2020 when all the
    >new standards will be in place.
    >
    >





    Why post such a Idiot Reply..?

    Are you metal or some thing.,.?
     
    Frank Osborn, Feb 15, 2004
    #4
  5. Frank Osborn

    Frank Osborn Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:49:25 +1300, "Craig Sutton" <>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Frank Osborn" <> wrote in message
    >news:p...
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Seems from what I have been reading these are a Utter Con as no decent RW
    >> media that lasts, seems that RW disks can crap out after some 12 uses

    >from
    >> what I have read in the CD news group.
    >>
    >>
    >> Seems that the Panasonic DVD RAM is the Only way with 100,000 write

    >cycles.
    >>
    >> And real facts on this..?
    >>

    >Talk to your alter ego Roger Shepard he has the facts on everything
    >




    What not another Idiot..??
     
    Frank Osborn, Feb 15, 2004
    #5
  6. Frank Osborn

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:33:08 +1300, Frank Osborn
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:38:51 +1300, Invisible <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:25:10 +1300, Frank Osborn
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Seems from what I have been reading these are a Utter Con as no decent RW
    >>>media that lasts, seems that RW disks can crap out after some 12 uses from
    >>>what I have read in the CD news group.

    >>
    >>It must be true then Woger, so you'd better not buy one until 2020 when all the
    >>new standards will be in place.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    >
    >Why post such a Idiot Reply..?
    >
    >Are you metal or some thing.,.?
    >


    I'm very metal.

    Plonker
     
    Invisible, Feb 15, 2004
    #6
  7. Frank Osborn

    Daver Guest

    I guess you wouldn't use RW for anything you seriously want to keep. My +RW
    have lasted longer than that but at around 4-5 dollars it not a particularly
    major issue anyway.
    Give it a few months and tapes will be the expensive media.

    "Frank Osborn" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    >
    >
    >
    > Seems from what I have been reading these are a Utter Con as no decent RW
    > media that lasts, seems that RW disks can crap out after some 12 uses

    from
    > what I have read in the CD news group.
    >
    >
    > Seems that the Panasonic DVD RAM is the Only way with 100,000 write

    cycles.
    >
    > And real facts on this..?
    >
    >
     
    Daver, Feb 15, 2004
    #7
  8. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:25:10 +1300, Frank Osborn wrote:

    > Seems from what I have been reading these are a Utter Con as no decent RW
    > media that lasts, seems that RW disks can crap out after some 12 uses from
    > what I have read in the CD news group.


    Well what do you expect? You should be reading the DVD group!

    Richard
     
    Richard Hector, Feb 15, 2004
    #8
  9. Frank Osborn

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    >
    >
    >
    > Seems from what I have been reading these are a Utter Con as no decent RW
    > media that lasts, seems that RW disks can crap out after some 12 uses from
    > what I have read in the CD news group.
    >
    >
    > Seems that the Panasonic DVD RAM is the Only way with 100,000 write cycles.
    >
    > And real facts on this..?


    You mean you don't know?

    --
    Full featured open source Win32 newsreader - Gravity 2.70
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpgravity/
     
    Mainlander, Feb 15, 2004
    #9
  10. Frank Osborn

    pete Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:33:51 +1300, Frank Osborn wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:49:25 +1300, "Craig Sutton" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>"Frank Osborn" <> wrote in message
    >>news:p...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Seems from what I have been reading these are a Utter Con as no decent RW
    >>> media that lasts, seems that RW disks can crap out after some 12 uses

    >>from
    >>> what I have read in the CD news group.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Seems that the Panasonic DVD RAM is the Only way with 100,000 write

    >>cycles.
    >>>
    >>> And real facts on this..?
    >>>

    >>Talk to your alter ego Roger Shepard he has the facts on everything
    >>

    >
    > What not another Idiot..??


    "fraid so - wogers another idiot (there hundreds of them in Kapiti)
     
    pete, Feb 15, 2004
    #10
  11. Frank Osborn

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Frank Osborn <> wrote in
    news:p:

    > Seems from what I have been reading these are a Utter Con as no decent
    > RW media that lasts, seems that RW disks can crap out after some 12
    > uses from what I have read in the CD news group.
    >
    >
    > Seems that the Panasonic DVD RAM is the Only way with 100,000 write
    > cycles.
    >
    > And real facts on this..?
    >
    >


    Ok, if you leave the media in the sun where heat and light get at it, it
    will phase change back and data will corrupt. Store vertically, in a closed
    cupboard.
    Read the report:
    http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/carefordisc/disc_care/index.htm
     
    Dave Taylor, Feb 16, 2004
    #11
  12. Frank Osborn

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler <> wrote in
    news:p:

    > ITYM a cool cupboard.
    >


    yes.
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Feb 16, 2004
    #12
  13. On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:37:46 +0000, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Ok, if you leave the media in the sun where heat and light get at it, it
    > will phase change back and data will corrupt. Store vertically, in a
    > closed cupboard.


    ITYM a cool cupboard.

    Putting them in the airing cupboard would be a bad idea, f'instance.

    I usually recommend that people consider putting backup discs in a beer or
    film fridge if they really insist on using that media for archival
    purposes.
     
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Feb 16, 2004
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. T.N.O.

    Ipod battery only lasts 18months?

    T.N.O., Nov 28, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    458
    T.N.O.
    Nov 29, 2003
  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Linux lasts longer

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 24, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    361
    Views:
    4,740
    Dave - Dave.net.nz
    Jan 23, 2005
  3. Nomon Damad

    Re: Linux lasts longer

    Nomon Damad, Jan 17, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    740
    Bruce Sinclair
    Jan 24, 2005
  4. thingy

    Looking for a gaming mouse that lasts

    thingy, Jun 14, 2007, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    825
    thingy
    Jun 19, 2007
  5. Roky

    standby mode lasts only a few seconds.

    Roky, Aug 10, 2009, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,052
Loading...

Share This Page