    Thanks.

    --
    Daniel

    Daniel Norton, Oct 15, 2007

  2. Daniel Norton

    Kimba W Lion Guest

    Daniel Norton <> wrote:

    >Any idea why DVD-RAM blanks are so scarce?

    Enter "DVD RAM" at froogle.com and you'll find plenty.

    Last time I bought them in a B&M was at WalMart. But I have more than I
    need so I haven't looked for any for a long time.

    Kimba W Lion, Oct 15, 2007

  3. Re: DVD-RAM Scarcity? HD 16:9 Recording

    On Oct 15, 12:47 pm, Kimba W Lion <kimbawlion> wrote:
    > Enter "DVD RAM" at froogle.com and you'll find plenty.

    I searched for "DVD-RAM 4.7". For the first three matches, below are
    the per-disk price (incl shipping), when ordering 5 disks:

    1st Match: $12.98 for one disk
    2nd Match: $6.28
    3rd Match: $4.99

    These high prices are a result of the scarcity.

    Locally I found some at CompUSA for $5/each (qty 3). I found a Best
    Buy 10 miles away (there are about 4 within that range) that had one 5-
    pack for $2/disk. I had phoned in advance but it still took them 10
    minutes to find it. It was the last pack and the other stores were
    sold out entirely.

    --
    Daniel

    Daniel Norton, Oct 15, 2007
  4. Daniel Norton

    JimH Guest

    Daniel Norton wrote:
    > My new HD DVD recorder (Panasonic DMR-EZ27K) will only record HD 16:9
    > on DVD-RAM, but not even the place I bought it (Best Buy) sells them.
    > I found a three-pack at CompUSA for $15. I see online a Verbatim
    > 95133 10-pack, but most sellers are out-of-stock for it.
    >
    > Any idea why DVD-RAM blanks are so scarce? Is this likely to
    > improve? Do all recorders have this restriction?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Daniel

    Amazon has a 10 pack for $18.99. I saw them on the web page for the
    DMR-EZ27K. It looks like Crutchfield is the actual seller, and they list
    them as in stock on their web page also for the same price.

    In the owner comments for the recorder, someone said that it records
    16:9 on +RW, although it is not advertised to do it. You might try it
    before ordering the DVD-RAM disks.

    Jim

    JimH, Oct 15, 2007
  5. Daniel Norton

    Kimba W Lion Guest

    Daniel Norton <> wrote:

    >I searched for "DVD-RAM 4.7". For the first three matches, below are
    >the per-disk price (incl shipping), when ordering 5 disks:
    >
    >1st Match: $12.98 for one disk
    >2nd Match: $6.28
    >3rd Match: $4.99

    You can sort by price and so forth. In just a few seconds I found $2.97
    per disk in a 10 pack of Verbatims, including shipping.

    I don't know if including the "4.7" gave you different results than what I
    got.

    Kimba W Lion, Oct 16, 2007
  6. Daniel Norton

    Guest

    JimH wrote:

    > Daniel Norton wrote:
    > > My new HD DVD recorder (Panasonic DMR-EZ27K) will only record HD 16:9
    > > on DVD-RAM, but not even the place I bought it (Best Buy) sells them.
    > > I found a three-pack at CompUSA for $15. I see online a Verbatim
    > > 95133 10-pack, but most sellers are out-of-stock for it.
    > >
    > > Any idea why DVD-RAM blanks are so scarce? Is this likely to
    > > improve? Do all recorders have this restriction?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Daniel
    > >

    > Amazon has a 10 pack for $18.99. I saw them on the web page for the
    > DMR-EZ27K. It looks like Crutchfield is the actual seller, and they list
    > them as in stock on their web page also for the same price.
    >
    > In the owner comments for the recorder, someone said that it records
    > 16:9 on +RW, although it is not advertised to do it. You might try it
    > before ordering the DVD-RAM disks.
    >
    > Jim

    I have an EZ27, and the owners manual is incorrectly worded. It will
    record 16:9 on any disc, but it will only set the 16:9 flag on a DVD-RAM
    disc. If you have a WS TV, then the disc will play back correctly, but
    if you have an older 4:3 TV, then the picture will be streatched
    vertically.

    I use a program like TMPGEnc DVD Author to add a decent menu system to
    my discs and also set the 16:9 flag when necessary.
    -Bill

    , Oct 16, 2007
  7. Re: DVD-RAM Scarcity? HD 16:9 Recording

    On Oct 16, 8:48 am, wrote:
    > I have an EZ27, and the owners manual is incorrectly worded. It will
    > record 16:9 on any disc, but it will only set the 16:9 flag on a DVD-RAM
    > disc.

    Hmmm, thanks, but I didn't know about the restriction until after I
    recorded a program on a DVD-R disk and playing it back it was 4:3. It
    seemed pretty clear from the manual that that's to be expected:

    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=rm8zgl&s=2

    I have to put the TV in "Zoom" mode to restore the aspect ratio when
    playing that recording. It was from a 1080i broadcast, which
    displayed correctly in 16:9 while recording. I looked for and found
    that restriction described in the manual. When I used the DVD-RAM
    disk (on another program) it played back as expected. One really nice
    feature is that it played back *while* recording. I have a hard time
    imagining that working as easily on a spiral medium.

    Manual: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMREZ27-MUL.pdf

    Okay, I guess the DVD-RAM disks aren't so scarce via mail order,
    anyway. Pretty wild price variance, though.

    --
    Daniel

    Daniel Norton, Oct 16, 2007
  8. Daniel Norton

    David Z Guest

    You can't record an HD picture on a DVD-RAM disc...

    David Z, Oct 17, 2007
  9. Daniel Norton

    Guest

    Daniel Norton wrote:

    > On Oct 16, 8:48 am, wrote:
    > > I have an EZ27, and the owners manual is incorrectly worded. It will
    > > record 16:9 on any disc, but it will only set the 16:9 flag on a DVD-RAM
    > > disc.

    > Hmmm, thanks, but I didn't know about the restriction until after I
    > recorded a program on a DVD-R disk and playing it back it was 4:3. It
    > seemed pretty clear from the manual that that's to be expected:
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=rm8zgl&s=2
    >
    > I have to put the TV in "Zoom" mode to restore the aspect ratio when
    > playing that recording. It was from a 1080i broadcast, which
    > displayed correctly in 16:9 while recording. I looked for and found
    > that restriction described in the manual. When I used the DVD-RAM
    > disk (on another program) it played back as expected. One really nice
    > feature is that it played back *while* recording. I have a hard time
    > imagining that working as easily on a spiral medium.
    >
    > Manual: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMREZ27-MUL.pdf
    >
    > Okay, I guess the DVD-RAM disks aren't so scarce via mail order,
    > anyway. Pretty wild price variance, though.
    >
    > --
    > Daniel

    You must have some quirk in your setup as I did another test recording
    on a DVD-R and my EZ27 did record and playback in the Anamorphic 16:9
    Widescreen mode.

    My Samsung HDTV has five picture modes (Wide-16:9 , Panoramic, Zoom1,
    Zoom2 and 4:3). When I viewed that disc with the "4:3" setting,
    everything
    is stretched vertically (that is what I expected) . When I switch to
    "Wide-16:9" (the normal setting for watching WS DVD's), the picture
    fills the screen and looks identical to the live broadcast.

    Remember, unless you record on a DVD-RAM disc, the 16:9 flag does not
    get set
    on the disc. All that means is that your TV will not automatically
    recognize
    the disc as 16:9. You have to manually set the A/R to the WIDE (or
    16:9)
    mode on your TV. But, because the 16:9 flag is not set, the disc will
    never play back correctly on an older 4:3 TV.

    -Bill

    , Oct 17, 2007
  10. Re: DVD-RAM Scarcity? HD 16:9 Recording

    Maybe it's because I'm connecting to the TV via HDMI and the TV won't
    override the 4:3 setting. I'll look into it some more. Thanks.

    Daniel Norton, Oct 18, 2007
  11. Daniel Norton

    Guest

    Daniel Norton wrote:

    > Maybe it's because I'm connecting to the TV via HDMI and the TV won't
    > override the 4:3 setting. I'll look into it some more. Thanks.

    That could be the problem. When I use the HDMI cable, only Wide and 4:3
    are listed. I keep the component cables hooked up so I can use Zoom1 to
    expand burned in widescreen programs to fill the screen.

    I would suggest you get a program like TMPGEnc DVD Author. It is fairly
    easy to use and you can make a nice menu, edit out commercials, place
    chapter stops where you want them, and set the 16:9 flag if necessary.
    I mainly use DVD+RW on the EZ27, so there are no wasted discs.

    And David Z is correct. There are no desktop hi-def recorders.
    Whenever you see HD listed, it is referring to the Hard Drive, if it has
    one.
    -Bill

    , Oct 19, 2007
  12. Re: DVD-RAM Scarcity? HD 16:9 Recording

    On Oct 17, 6:03 am, "David Z" <> wrote:
    > You can't record an HD picture on a DVD-RAM disc...

    Certainly not "HD DVD". I've seen "HD" loosely defined as over 1
    million pixels, but is there a formal definition of "HD" somewhere?

    --
    Daniel

    Daniel Norton, Oct 23, 2007
  13. Daniel Norton

    Richard C. Guest

    > On Oct 17, 6:03 am, "David Z" <> wrote:
    >> You can't record an HD picture on a DVD-RAM disc...

    > Certainly not "HD DVD". I've seen "HD" loosely defined as over 1
    > million pixels, but is there a formal definition of "HD" somewhere?
    >
    > --
    > Daniel

    =====================
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hdtv2.htm
    you can google the rest.................

    Richard C., Oct 24, 2007
  14. Re: DVD-RAM Scarcity? HD 16:9 Recording

    On Oct 23, 7:44 pm, "Richard C." <> wrote:
    >http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hdtv2.htm

    Okay, so "HD" in this context means "HDTV" (as opposed to "HD DVD").
    More specifically, following the table captioned "The 18 Primary DTV
    Standards," the VCR I have doesn't record "HDTV," but it does record
    16:9 "SDTV" (which it apparently upconverts to 1080i HDTV, as my TV
    reports the incoming signal as "1080i").

    Thanks, all.

    --
    Daniel

    Daniel Norton, Oct 24, 2007
  15. Re: DVD-RAM Scarcity? HD 16:9 Recording

    On Oct 24, 8:07 am, Daniel Norton <> wrote:
    > ... the VCR I have ...

    D'oh! Of course that should read "DVD Recorder."

    --
    Daniel

    Daniel Norton, Oct 24, 2007