    entertainment system. I immediately wondered exactly how would an
    automobile entertain ones rear and would it be safe to drive while
    ones rear was being entertained.
    Daniel Prince, Jun 12, 2004

  2. Daniel Prince

    Impmon Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:06:04 GMT, Daniel Prince
    <> wrote:

    >I am planing to buy a LG 4082B multi-drive mainly to back up my hard
    >drives. Do all brands of DVD-RAM media work well in this drive or are
    >there brands that I should avoid?

    Why do you want DVD-RAM? It's not well supported and requires other
    PC to have DVD-RAM drive to read them.

    OTOH DVD+RW or DVD-RW is mnore easily found, generally cheaper than
    RAM, and usually can be read in any PC that has plain DVD-ROM

    Just something for you to think about before investing in DVD-RAM.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
    Impmon, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Impmon <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:06:04 GMT, Daniel Prince
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I am planing to buy a LG 4082B multi-drive mainly to back up my hard
    >>drives. Do all brands of DVD-RAM media work well in this drive or are
    >>there brands that I should avoid?

    >Why do you want DVD-RAM? It's not well supported and requires other
    >PC to have DVD-RAM drive to read them.

    I have read that it is quite a bit more reliable that -RW or +RW. Also
    it can be used as a regular drive (drag and drop etc.) without packet
    writing software.

    >OTOH DVD+RW or DVD-RW is mnore easily found, generally cheaper than
    >RAM, and usually can be read in any PC that has plain DVD-ROM
    >
    >Just something for you to think about before investing in DVD-RAM.

    --
    I just heard a TV commercial about an automobile that has a rear
    Daniel Prince, Jun 12, 2004
  4. Daniel Prince

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Daniel Prince wrote:
    > Impmon <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:06:04 GMT, Daniel Prince
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am planing to buy a LG 4082B multi-drive mainly to back up my hard
    >>> drives. Do all brands of DVD-RAM media work well in this drive or
    >>> are there brands that I should avoid?

    >> Why do you want DVD-RAM? It's not well supported and requires other
    >> PC to have DVD-RAM drive to read them.

    > I have read that it is quite a bit more reliable that -RW or +RW.
    > Also it can be used as a regular drive (drag and drop etc.) without
    > packet writing software.

    Just my opinion, but I think the poor support for the format more than
    erases any supposed reliability benefits, and the drag-and-drop capability
    is trivial. You'd surely be using at least a simple backup program anyway.
    (And for that matter, you can drag-and-drop to DVD-R or DVD+R anyway.)

    In 10 years, you will have much more trouble reading a DVD-RAM disc than you
    would a more standard format. That's an important consideration for
    archival backups.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Jun 12, 2004
  5. Daniel Prince

    Mike Ching Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:31:07 -0700, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    > Daniel Prince wrote:
    >> Impmon <> wrote:

    >>> Why do you want DVD-RAM? It's not well supported and requires other
    >>> PC to have DVD-RAM drive to read them.

    >> I have read that it is quite a bit more reliable that -RW or +RW.
    >> Also it can be used as a regular drive (drag and drop etc.) without
    >> packet writing software.

    > Just my opinion, but I think the poor support for the format more than
    > erases any supposed reliability benefits, and the drag-and-drop capability
    > is trivial. You'd surely be using at least a simple backup program anyway.
    > (And for that matter, you can drag-and-drop to DVD-R or DVD+R anyway.)
    >
    > In 10 years, you will have much more trouble reading a DVD-RAM disc than you
    > would a more standard format. That's an important consideration for
    > archival backups.

    From what I've read even though the DVD-RAM format is more robust, the
    increased reliability is primarily due to the use of a cartridge and the
    guarantee for a bare disc is similar to +/-RW (1000 rewrites compared to
    100,000 rewrites in a cartridge). Being able to read it in 10 years isn't
    likely to be a problem since archival backups would typically be done on a
    write-once medium and not on a rewritable. There aren't many proponents of
    +/-RW for archival purposes.
    Mike Ching, Jun 12, 2004
  6. Daniel Prince

    Uwe Holter Guest

    Impmon <> wrote:

    > Why do you want DVD-RAM? It's not well supported and requires other
    > PC to have DVD-RAM drive to read them.

    I wouldn't want to miss it anymore. It's very fast, extremely reliable and
    you can use each disk like a hard drive. I'll never understand why it's not
    more widespread.
    Uwe Holter, Jun 12, 2004
  7. Daniel Prince

    Uwe Holter Guest

    Daniel Prince <> wrote:

    > I am planing to buy a LG 4082B multi-drive mainly to back up my hard
    > drives.

    Good choice!

    > Do all brands of DVD-RAM media work well in this drive or are
    > there brands that I should avoid?

    AFAIK you can take any brand. There are way less compatibility problems
    than with +R/-R media.

    > In your opinion, what is the best value in non-cartridge DVD-RAM media?

    Prices don't vary much, neither does the quality. Samsung bundles an Maxell
    DVD-RAM with the drive. I have also used Panasonic and Imation a lot
    without any problems ever.

    Uwe Holter, Jun 12, 2004
  8. Daniel Prince

    Uwe Holter Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:

    > Just my opinion, but I think the poor support for the format more than
    > erases any supposed reliability benefits,

    That very much depends. If you want to use the media in various different
    computers, you're probably right. If you intend to use it only in your own
    PC or a compatible DVD-Recorder, the advantages of DVD-RAM may easily
    outweigh the disadvantages.

    > and the drag-and-drop
    > capability is trivial. You'd surely be using at least a simple backup
    > program anyway. (And for that matter, you can drag-and-drop to DVD-R
    > or DVD+R anyway.)

    But you can't use them with random access like a hard drive -- which you
    can with DVD-RAM.

    > In 10 years, you will have much more trouble reading a DVD-RAM disc
    > than you would a more standard format. That's an important
    > consideration for archival backups.

    There have been many reports yet of DVD+-RW media that was not readible
    anymore after only a few years -- I'm in doubt that you can rely on being
    able to read those discs in 10 years either.
    DVD-RAM media recordings are expected to have a longer durabilty than DVD+-
    RW.
    Uwe Holter, Jun 12, 2004
  9. Daniel Prince

    luminos Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > Daniel Prince wrote:
    > > Impmon <> wrote:

    > >> Why do you want DVD-RAM? It's not well supported and requires other
    > >> PC to have DVD-RAM drive to read them.

    > > I have read that it is quite a bit more reliable that -RW or +RW.
    > > Also it can be used as a regular drive (drag and drop etc.) without
    > > packet writing software.

    > Just my opinion, but I think the poor support for the format more than
    > erases any supposed reliability benefits,

    You have not used RAM if you think that. It is far superior in access time
    and reliability. It is probably the best kept secret, so to speak, out
    there.
    luminos, Jun 13, 2004
  10. Daniel Prince

    Trevor S Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > You have not used RAM if you think that. It is far superior in access
    > time and reliability. It is probably the best kept secret, so to
    > speak, out there.

    Agreed, the only people that think it's a bad idea are those that have
    never used it. I use it and love it.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein
    Trevor S, Jun 14, 2004
  11. Daniel Prince

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:45:50 +0000 (UTC), Uwe Holter <>
    wrote:

    >"Mike Kohary" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Just my opinion, but I think the poor support for the format more than
    >> erases any supposed reliability benefits,

    >That very much depends. If you want to use the media in various different
    >computers, you're probably right. If you intend to use it only in your own
    >PC or a compatible DVD-Recorder, the advantages of DVD-RAM may easily
    >outweigh the disadvantages.

    I think the ubiquity of the format is important, even if you intend to
    use it only in your own PC, because the availability of the equipment
    to read the discs could become a serious issue.

    >> and the drag-and-drop
    >> capability is trivial. You'd surely be using at least a simple backup
    >> program anyway. (And for that matter, you can drag-and-drop to DVD-R
    >> or DVD+R anyway.)

    >But you can't use them with random access like a hard drive -- which you
    >can with DVD-RAM.

    True, but I wouldn't think that's an important consideration for
    backup purposes. As I said, I'd be using a dedicated backup program
    anyway.

    >> In 10 years, you will have much more trouble reading a DVD-RAM disc
    >> than you would a more standard format. That's an important
    >> consideration for archival backups.

    >There have been many reports yet of DVD+-RW media that was not readible
    >anymore after only a few years -- I'm in doubt that you can rely on being
    >able to read those discs in 10 years either.
    >DVD-RAM media recordings are expected to have a longer durabilty than DVD+-
    >RW.

    My concern is readability - I'm sure the discs would be perfectly
    readable. My concern would be the availability of equipment to read
    them.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Jun 14, 2004
  12. Daniel Prince

    Mike Kohary Guest

    luminos wrote:
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    >> Daniel Prince wrote:

    >>> I have read that it is quite a bit more reliable that -RW or +RW.
    >>> Also it can be used as a regular drive (drag and drop etc.) without
    >>> packet writing software.

    >> Just my opinion, but I think the poor support for the format more
    >> than erases any supposed reliability benefits,

    > You have not used RAM if you think that. It is far superior in
    > access time and reliability. It is probably the best kept secret, so
    > to speak, out there.

    I don't necessarily doubt any of that. I only know it isn't a widespread
    format, which is enough to turn me away from it no matter how good it is.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Jun 16, 2004
  13. Daniel Prince

    Vince Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:14:05 GMT, Daniel Prince
    <> wrote:

    >Impmon <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:06:04 GMT, Daniel Prince
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am planing to buy a LG 4082B multi-drive mainly to back up my hard
    >>>drives. Do all brands of DVD-RAM media work well in this drive or are
    >>>there brands that I should avoid?

    >>Why do you want DVD-RAM? It's not well supported and requires other
    >>PC to have DVD-RAM drive to read them.

    >I have read that it is quite a bit more reliable that -RW or +RW. Also
    >it can be used as a regular drive (drag and drop etc.) without packet
    >writing software.

    Also.. there is a guaranteed verification when RAM is mastered
    ensuring all data is safely archived. I have no bad experiences with
    the software verification available with writing software, but that is
    one of the support reasons for using RAM CDs.
    Vince, Jun 17, 2004