    Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
    grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
    REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"
    Daniel Prince, May 24, 2004

  2. "Daniel Prince" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is DVD-RAM, used without a caddy, sufficiently reliable for backing up
    > the data on a hard drive, if it used in a home where no one smokes? I

    I use the LG4040B. Six months. Back up to the Ram Disc using Windows
    Backup (Win 2k). With the Ram Driver installed Windows treats it as a
    Removable Disk. Great stuff in my book. recovered some files only one time
    so far. Seems to work as advertised.

    I have 2 cats (I'm talking hair everywhere), 2 Yorkie dogs, not much hair
    loss here but they have long hair and do bring in the 'back yard' every time
    the go out... which is often in the summer. I smoke.

    I suppose the drive will explode some day with the filthy air it has to suck
    in.

    You should see the cats race around in a 'sun beam'. In fact when a 'sun
    beam' hits one of your windows near your couch... well give the couch a good
    smack. Another good way is to just take your computer cover off and have a
    look inside to see how much dust is in there.

    Dave
    Sounds Like A Porsche, May 24, 2004

  3. Daniel Prince

    Alan Pollock Guest

    In rec.video.dvd.tech Sounds Like A Porsche <> wrote:

    > "Daniel Prince" <> wrote in message
    > > Is DVD-RAM, used without a caddy, sufficiently reliable for backing up
    > > the data on a hard drive, if it used in a home where no one smokes? I

    I use dvd-ram discs without caddies all the time. While with dvd-rw discs
    every ten or so extensive writes I'd have to reformat, with the fat32 rams,
    well, they just keep on chugging, on and on and on.

    Some say it's the difference between packet-writing (dvd-rw) and fat32
    (dvd-ram) rather than the actual medium. Other speak of built-in insurances on
    the ram discs. I don't know where cumquats come from either; you see me
    worrying?

    Moreover, how often will you be fooling with backup discs anyway? Unless you
    do incremental, which in my view would work fine on fat32 rams too. Or you
    could do a mixture, like a full backup on -r discs once a month or two, then
    incrementals on the dvd-rams.

    I use dvd-rams to move stuff between machines in different locations (got a
    usb2 ram-drive), so I handle them frequently. Not one prob yet.

    So either way I'd say sure, caddies are always best, but if you're careful raw
    ram discs should be fine for backup. Nex
    Alan Pollock, May 24, 2004
  4. Daniel Prince

    Phil Leonard Guest

    In article ID <c8t85f$t2k$>, Alan Pollock <>
    writes:

    >I use dvd-ram discs without caddies all the time. While with dvd-rw discs
    >every ten or so extensive writes I'd have to reformat, with the fat32 rams,
    >well, they just keep on chugging, on and on and on.
    >
    >Some say it's the difference between packet-writing (dvd-rw) and fat32
    >(dvd-ram) rather than the actual medium. Other speak of built-in insurances on
    >the ram discs. I don't know where cumquats come from either; you see me
    >worrying?

    Of course, if you format DVD-RAM discs as UDF 2.x, you can use them with XP
    drag 'n drop "AND" your stand alone video recorder. Works great for
    transferring DVD recordings to the PC, with or without a cartridge.
    Phil Leonard, May 24, 2004