DVD-RAM Combo Drive

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Rindler Sigurd, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. I live in Japan and would like to purchase an external Combo Drive (USB2)
    for burning CD, DVD, and RAM disks.
    Since I want a unit that can handle Japanese Windows XP, I am tempted to
    purchase the newest domestic model LF-M660JD. However, calling Matsushita
    (Panasonic) in Osaka is as good as asking a 5 year old about algebra...
    I wanted to know whether this unit could be used for English Windows XP too.
    The answers I got were between no, yes, and maybe. The competent people are
    never available.
    I have 6 computers in the office and don't want to buy 6 internal units. One
    external gadget is sufficient since I don't need it too often.
    Does anybody have experience with the above model and Jap./Engl. Windows?
    Any recommendation to purchase another model (I could do without the RAM
    function since I have an older DVD-RAM player). All I need is to have
    compatibility with both operating systems. There should be some Japanese
    outside of Japan who might have the same desire.

    One more question regarding the
    Panasonic SW-9571-CYY
    External DVD/R/RW/RAM CD-R/RW Combo Drive (USB2/Firewire):

    The web site shows the media to be used. As for the DVD RAM, it shows the
    cartridge DVD and the newer CD type.
    Which one is used by this model?

    Tanks in advance,
    S.R.