    mountain Guest

    Are there any advantages or disadvantages with dvd-r vs dvd+r, what are the
    differences?

    mountain, Jul 12, 2005

  2. mountain

    mountain Guest

    "mountain" <> wrote in message
    news:42d32f3b$...
    > Are there any advantages or disadvantages with dvd-r vs dvd+r, what are

    the
    > differences?

    I should have said that I am more interested in the practical differences
    than the theoretical ones, i.e what are the differences for the end user.

    mountain, Jul 12, 2005

  3. In article <>, Brissie <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:46:56 +1200, "mountain" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Are there any advantages or disadvantages with dvd-r vs dvd+r, what are the
    >>differences?
    >>

    >+r is better

    ... because .... ?

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 12, 2005
  4. mountain

    jedmeister Guest

    "mountain" <> wrote in message

    > "mountain" <> wrote in message
    >> Are there any advantages or disadvantages with dvd-r vs dvd+r, what are

    > the
    >> differences?
    >>

    > I should have said that I am more interested in the practical differences
    > than the theoretical ones, i.e what are the differences for the end user.

    The compatibility thing is the biggest issue, some people say -R's are
    slightly more compatible with DVD video players.

    jedmeister, Jul 12, 2005
  5. mountain

    DVD Cases Guest

    "jedmeister" <> wrote in message news:zGGAe.444$...
    > "mountain" <> wrote in message news:42d32fdb$...
    >>
    >> "mountain" <> wrote in message
    >>> Are there any advantages or disadvantages with dvd-r vs dvd+r, what are

    >> the
    >>> differences?
    >>>

    >> I should have said that I am more interested in the practical differences
    >> than the theoretical ones, i.e what are the differences for the end user.
    >>

    > The compatibility thing is the biggest issue, some people say -R's are slightly more compatible with DVD video players.

    actually statistics prove that
    dvd-r has more dvd players
    supporting that format than +r
    but if your player supports both
    it comes down to whether you
    be lending them to others and
    what their players support.

    Conversely most DVD Recorders
    support DVD+R and not DVD-R
    this is slowly changing
    a quick search shows
    320 DVD+R and 190 DVD-R
    standalone DVD Recorders

    CD

    DVD Cases, Jul 12, 2005
  6. mountain

    Mal Guest

    wrote:

    >Are there any advantages or disadvantages with dvd-r vs dvd+r, what are the
    >differences?

    dvd-r first came out in 1997.
    dvd+rw out in 2000.
    dvd+rw out in 2001.

    Depending how old your player is, dvd-r works in more players because
    its been out the longest.

    dvd-r holds 6Mb more than dvd+r/+rw media.

    Most of the big brand name recorders only use the minus format for
    recording. Pioneer, panasonic both record to dvd-r and the budget ones
    to +r/+rw.

    dual layer has the worst play back compatibility because its only been
    out a year.

    Not all existing DVD-ROM drives and DVD Video players will be
    compatible with DVD+R DL media.

    It is known that not all existing DVD-ROM drives and set-top DVD Video
    players will be able to if at all reliably play DVD+R DL discs. This
    could especially be the situation with DVD players manufactured over
    12 months ago. The only way to know if a player is compatible with
    DVD+R DL media is to simply try it. In particular check if the player
    can reliably switch to the second layer and continue playing. It must
    be remembered that standards for Dual Layer did not exist when most
    earlier players were designed and manufactured so there was no way a
    manufacturer could have taken this into account.

    http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/computer/dvdInfo/dvdInfo_23.html

    Mal, Jul 12, 2005
  7. mountain

    Brissie Guest

    wrote:

    >Are there any advantages or disadvantages with dvd-r vs dvd+r, what are the
    >differences?

    +r is better

    Brissie, Jul 12, 2005
  8. mountain

    Brissie Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:56:37 GMT, Mal <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:46:56 +1200, "mountain" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Are there any advantages or disadvantages with dvd-r vs dvd+r, what are the
    >>differences?
    >>

    >dvd-r first came out in 1997.
    >dvd+rw out in 2000.
    >dvd+rw out in 2001.

    Bull

    >dvd-r holds 6Mb more than dvd+r/+rw media.
    >
    >Most of the big brand name recorders only use the minus format for
    >recording. Pioneer, panasonic both record to dvd-r and the budget ones
    >to +r/+rw.
    >
    >dual layer has the worst play back compatibility because its only been
    >out a year.
    >
    >Not all existing DVD-ROM drives and DVD Video players will be
    >compatible with DVD+R DL media.

    My DVD-ROM was purchased June 1999 and plays +R, and I've never
    encountered any that won't

    Brissie, Jul 12, 2005
  9. On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:46:56 +1200, "mountain" <>
    wrote:

    >Are there any advantages or disadvantages with dvd-r vs dvd+r, what are the
    >differences?

    Might shed some light.
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113

    I prefer to use +r because they play on the 'fussy' dvd player I have
    - an oldish samsung - it hates -r ( frequently pauses and skips). My
    other player doesn't seem to care what discs I use.

    My writer (benq) can also write +r discs as dvd-rom which I have been
    led to believe makes them even more compatible with players.

    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Jul 12, 2005
  10. mountain

    Paradox Guest

    wrote:

    >Are there any advantages or disadvantages with dvd-r vs dvd+r, what are the
    >differences?

    I've found that DVD-R seems to be a little cheaper when you buy in
    bulk....

    Paradox

    Paradox, Jul 12, 2005
  11. mountain

    Brissie Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:00:46 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Brissie <> wrote:
    >>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:46:56 +1200, "mountain" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Are there any advantages or disadvantages with dvd-r vs dvd+r, what are the
    >>>differences?
    >>>

    >>+r is better

    >.. because .... ?

    Look at the specifications. It's clear. It shits on DVD-R in every
    way.

    But then DVD-RAM is better than +R for data purposes. +R still wins
    for video.

    Brissie, Jul 12, 2005
  12. mountain

    Koenig Guest

    > Look at the specifications. It's clear. It shits on DVD-R in every
    > way.

    In what way? DVD-R holds more than DVD+R. DVD-R is supported in more
    recorders, players and burners than DVD+R.

    Koenig, Jul 12, 2005
  13. mountain

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:34:21 +1000, "DVD Cases" <>
    wrote:

    >"jedmeister" <> wrote in message news:zGGAe.444$...
    >> "mountain" <> wrote in message news:42d32fdb$...
    >>>
    >>> "mountain" <> wrote in message
    >>> the
    >>>>

    >>> I should have said that I am more interested in the practical differences
    >>> than the theoretical ones, i.e what are the differences for the end user.
    >>>

    >> The compatibility thing is the biggest issue, some people say -R's are slightly more compatible with DVD video players.
    >>

    >actually statistics prove that

    Please post these Statistics as to me its all Utter CRAP and just your
    personal opinion..

    Tony, Jul 12, 2005
  14. mountain

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:45:16 +1000, Brissie <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:00:46 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Brissie <> wrote:

    >>>+r is better

    >>.. because .... ?
    >>

    >Look at the specifications. It's clear. It shits on DVD-R in every
    >way.
    >
    >But then DVD-RAM is better than +R for data purposes. +R still wins
    >for video.

    DVD RAM is better for Every thing not just DATA..

    Tony, Jul 12, 2005
  15. mountain

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 04:47:40 GMT, "Koenig" <>
    wrote:

    >> Look at the specifications. It's clear. It shits on DVD-R in every
    >> way.

    >In what way? DVD-R holds more than DVD+R. DVD-R is supported in more
    >recorders, players and burners than DVD+R.

    More Utter CRAP, post the Facts or shut up..

    Tony, Jul 12, 2005
  16. mountain

    DVD Cases Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:34:21 +1000, "DVD Cases" <>
    > wrote:

    >>> The compatibility thing is the biggest issue, some people say -R's are slightly more compatible with DVD video players.
    >>>

    >>actually statistics prove that

    > Please post these Statistics as to me its all Utter CRAP and just your
    > personal opinion..
    >

    >>dvd-r has more dvd players
    >>supporting that format than +r
    >>but if your player supports both
    >>it comes down to whether you
    >>be lending them to others and
    >>what their players support.
    >>
    >>Conversely most DVD Recorders
    >>support DVD+R and not DVD-R
    >>this is slowly changing
    >>a quick search shows
    >>320 DVD+R and 190 DVD-R
    >>standalone DVD Recorders
    >>
    >>CD

    allbeit only as definitive as the DVD players tested
    but here are the figures for you the sample size
    seemingly at least large enough to extrapolate from.

    3651 DVD Players Tested 3408 Compliant DVD-R = 93.34%
    3257 DVD Players Tested 2925 Compliant DVD+R = 89.81%

    from a sample of 44,000 DVD Players

    as with all statistics it is always a matter
    of how robust the clinical conditions
    but all the same indications are that slightly
    more players support -R over +R
    the fact that there are at least 3000 of each
    and that you are at least 90% chance of
    compatibility either way would indicate
    that it is a moot point.

    CD

    DVD Cases, Jul 12, 2005
  17. "Brissie" <> wrote in message
    > Look at the specifications. It's clear. It shits on DVD-R in every
    > way.
    >
    > But then DVD-RAM is better than +R for data purposes. +R still wins
    > for video.

    And with this you need never take anything Brissie says seriously as he is
    completely wrong.

    David Williams, Jul 12, 2005
  18. mountain

    Koenig Guest

    > >In what way? DVD-R holds more than DVD+R. DVD-R is supported in more
    > >recorders, players and burners than DVD+R.
    > >

    > More Utter CRAP, post the Facts or shut up..

    I just did post facts. DVD-R holds slightly more. DVD-R is more widely
    supported in DVD players (due to the format appearing first).

    Refute my facts or shut up.

    Koenig, Jul 12, 2005
  19. mountain

    Koenig Guest

    > DVD RAM is better for Every thing not just DATA..

    Please show me how I can use DVD Ram in my Toshiba DVD player.

    Koenig, Jul 12, 2005
  20. mountain

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:00:46 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    >In article <>, Brissie <> wrote:
    >>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:46:56 +1200, "mountain" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Are there any advantages or disadvantages with dvd-r vs dvd+r, what are the
    >>>differences?
    >>>

    >>+r is better

    >.. because .... ?

    Better error correction.