    iso file). I can play the copy on my computer with no problems, but they
    won't play on either of my home players. After this test, it's won't play
    on the computer either!
    TCS, Sep 12, 2003

  2. TCS

    Pug Fugley2 Guest

    "TCS" <> wrote in message
    news:625.kaosol.net...
    > I recently got a toshiba SD-R5002 dvd-rw drive and have started playing
    > around with making DVDs; I have a laserdisc collection to be digitized
    > and moved to DVD.
    >
    > Question: Do older/cheaper home players have a laser strong enough to

    affect
    > DVD-r's?

    No, not usually.

    I can copy a single sided DVD by making a bitwise copy (via an
    > iso file).

    Nope.

    I can play the copy on my computer with no problems, but they
    > won't play on either of my home players. After this test, it's won't play
    > on the computer either!

    Not sure about that one, makes no sense!
    Pug Fugley2, Sep 13, 2003

  3. TCS

    TCS Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 00:21:10 GMT, Pug Fugley2 <> wrote:

    >"TCS" <> wrote in message
    >> I recently got a toshiba SD-R5002 dvd-rw drive and have started playing
    >> around with making DVDs; I have a laserdisc collection to be digitized
    >> and moved to DVD.
    >>
    >> Question: Do older/cheaper home players have a laser strong enough to

    >affect
    >> DVD-r's?

    >No, not usually.

    > I can copy a single sided DVD by making a bitwise copy (via an
    >> iso file).

    >Nope.

    > I can play the copy on my computer with no problems, but they
    >> won't play on either of my home players. After this test, it's won't play
    >> on the computer either!

    >Not sure about that one, makes no sense!

    What part don't you understand?

    1) I can make a bitwise copy of a single sided DVD.
    2) it plays in the computer using software the same way I play the
    original DVD or other DVDs.
    3) after trying it on a consumer DVD player where it'll fail, it'll then
    fail on the computer.
    TCS, Sep 13, 2003
  4. TCS

    Skid Guest

    "TCS" <> wrote in message

    > What part don't you understand?
    > 1) I can make a bitwise copy of a single sided DVD.
    > 2) it plays in the computer using software the same way I play the
    > original DVD or other DVDs.
    > 3) after trying it on a consumer DVD player where it'll fail, it'll then
    > fail on the computer.

    Part 3 makes no sense. The DVD player can't/won't do anything to the disc
    that would render it unreadable.
    Skid, Sep 13, 2003
  5. TCS

    TCS Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:00:13 GMT, Skid <> wrote:

    >"TCS" <> wrote in message

    >> What part don't you understand?
    >> 1) I can make a bitwise copy of a single sided DVD.
    >> 2) it plays in the computer using software the same way I play the
    >> original DVD or other DVDs.
    >> 3) after trying it on a consumer DVD player where it'll fail, it'll then
    >> fail on the computer.
    >>

    >Part 3 makes no sense. The DVD player can't/won't do anything to the disc
    >that would render it unreadable.

    I've verified it. Made disk. It played fine on the computer.
    Tried to play it on one of my home players and it wouldn't play there.
    Returned to computer and it wouldn't play there either anymore.
    TCS, Sep 13, 2003
  6. On 13 Sep 2003 14:27:17 GMT, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:00:13 GMT, Skid <> wrote:
    >
    >>"TCS" <> wrote in message

    >>> What part don't you understand?
    >>> 1) I can make a bitwise copy of a single sided DVD.
    >>> 2) it plays in the computer using software the same way I play the
    >>> original DVD or other DVDs.
    >>> 3) after trying it on a consumer DVD player where it'll fail, it'll then
    >>> fail on the computer.
    >>>

    >>Part 3 makes no sense. The DVD player can't/won't do anything to the disc
    >>that would render it unreadable.

    >I've verified it. Made disk. It played fine on the computer.
    >Tried to play it on one of my home players and it wouldn't play there.
    >Returned to computer and it wouldn't play there either anymore

    (1) Assuming that the computer doesn't just "forget" the DVD drive
    after playing a DVD-r, and requires a reboot before the next time it
    will succesfully play a DVD of any sort (This is an actual scenario
    I've encountered in computer systems maintenance related to the aspi
    driver.)

    Then..

    (2) Look for physical damage to the DVD on the inside part of the
    track caused by the laser lens actually contacting and
    scratching/burning the DVD-r binder. Philips players in particular
    can damage a DVD this way, as was discussed in this newsgroup several
    months ago. If the player's firmware doesn't support DVD-r then
    indeed the lens may not be able to focus on the disc, and can go
    physically far enough out of range to contact the disc.

    Try first playing the DVD in a DIFFERENT standalone, then in the
    DVD-rom. I'm betting this failure only happens after being put in one
    particular Standalone.

    ... Steve ..

    P.S. copying a DVD as an ISO using DVDdecypter then burning the image
    is an excellent way to clone a DVD, it's the method I use both for
    DVD-r's and (small) commercial discs.
    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 13, 2003
  7. TCS

    TCS Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:25:54 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:
    > On 13 Sep 2003 14:27:17 GMT, TCS
    >
    > (1) Assuming that the computer doesn't just "forget" the DVD drive
    > after playing a DVD-r, and requires a reboot before the next time it
    > will succesfully play a DVD of any sort (This is an actual scenario
    > I've encountered in computer systems maintenance related to the aspi
    > driver.)

    I've tried replaying the coasters; they never play after they've been
    damaged by one of my consumer dvd players.

    I don't have such driver issues as I run linux.

    > Then..
    >
    > (2) Look for physical damage to the DVD on the inside part of the
    > track caused by the laser lens actually contacting and
    > scratching/burning the DVD-r binder. Philips players in particular
    > can damage a DVD this way, as was discussed in this newsgroup several
    > months ago. If the player's firmware doesn't support DVD-r then
    > indeed the lens may not be able to focus on the disc, and can go
    > physically far enough out of range to contact the disc.
    >
    > Try first playing the DVD in a DIFFERENT standalone, then in the
    > DVD-rom. I'm betting this failure only happens after being put in one
    > particular Standalone.

    I'll try on the other player. I don't like making coasters at dvdr
    prices, but I only just recently figured out what was happeneing.
    I used to go from the computer and try it on both players; this time
    was the first time I removed the disk, tried again on the computer (fine)
    went to ONE player, tried it there, and then returned to the computer to
    see it no longer playable. I'll run off another DVDr and try it on the
    other player.

    I'll post the model numbers when I return home (right now I'm posting
    from work)

    > P.S. copying a DVD as an ISO using DVDdecypter then burning the image
    > is an excellent way to clone a DVD, it's the method I use both for
    > DVD-r's and (small) commercial discs.

    I use linux 'dd' to generate an iso and 'cdrecord' (with dvdrw patches)
    to burn discs.
    TCS, Sep 13, 2003
  8. On 13 Sep 2003 16:31:31 GMT, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:25:54 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:
    >> On 13 Sep 2003 14:27:17 GMT, TCS
    >>

    >> (2) Look for physical damage to the DVD on the inside part of the
    >> track caused by the laser lens actually contacting and
    >> scratching/burning the DVD-r binder.

    >I'll try on the other player. I don't like making coasters at dvdr
    >prices, but I only just recently figured out what was happeneing.
    >I used to go from the computer and try it on both players; this time
    >was the first time I removed the disk, tried again on the computer (fine)
    >went to ONE player, tried it there, and then returned to the computer to
    >see it no longer playable. I'll run off another DVDr and try it on the
    >other player.
    >
    >I'll post the model numbers when I return home (right now I'm posting
    >from work)

    But above all else LOOK at the defunct DVD-r's. If you don't see
    actual physical marks on the disc at the inside, then this scenario
    about killing playback in one player can't be happening.

    >> P.S. copying a DVD as an ISO using DVDdecypter then burning the image
    >> is an excellent way to clone a DVD, it's the method I use both for
    >> DVD-r's and (small) commercial discs.

    >I use linux 'dd' to generate an iso and 'cdrecord' (with dvdrw patches)
    >to burn discs.

    It's been almost three years since I had a Linux box. I wish I could
    W2K or XP.

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 13, 2003
  9. TCS

    luminos Guest

    <> wrote:
    > > On 13 Sep 2003 14:27:17 GMT, TCS
    > >
    > > (1) Assuming that the computer doesn't just "forget" the DVD drive
    > > after playing a DVD-r, and requires a reboot before the next time it
    > > will succesfully play a DVD of any sort (This is an actual scenario
    > > I've encountered in computer systems maintenance related to the aspi
    > > driver.)

    > I've tried replaying the coasters; they never play after they've been
    > damaged by one of my consumer dvd players.
    >
    > I don't have such driver issues as I run linux.

    That is a most stupid statement. Linux uses drivers of all kinds.
    luminos, Sep 14, 2003
  10. TCS

    TCS Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:07:39 -0700, luminos <> wrote:

    >"TCS" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:25:54 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter)

    ><> wrote:
    >> > On 13 Sep 2003 14:27:17 GMT, TCS
    >> >
    >> > (1) Assuming that the computer doesn't just "forget" the DVD drive
    >> > after playing a DVD-r, and requires a reboot before the next time it
    >> > will succesfully play a DVD of any sort (This is an actual scenario
    >> > I've encountered in computer systems maintenance related to the aspi
    >> > driver.)

    >> I've tried replaying the coasters; they never play after they've been
    >> damaged by one of my consumer dvd players.
    >>
    >> I don't have such driver issues as I run linux.

    >That is a most stupid statement. Linux uses drivers of all kinds.

    Fine. Please show me the ASPI drivers used on a linux system.
    TCS, Sep 14, 2003
  11. TCS

    TCS Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:25:54 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:
    >Try first playing the DVD in a DIFFERENT standalone, then in the
    >DVD-rom. I'm betting this failure only happens after being put in one
    >particular Standalone.

    I burned another disk and this time I made sure I ejected it and returned
    it to the computer drive to play it. It failed. They play fine before
    being ejected the first time.

    Sounds like a bogus drive now.
    TCS, Sep 14, 2003
  12. On 14 Sep 2003 15:52:16 GMT, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:25:54 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:
    >>Try first playing the DVD in a DIFFERENT standalone, then in the
    >>DVD-rom. I'm betting this failure only happens after being put in one
    >>particular Standalone.

    >I burned another disk and this time I made sure I ejected it and returned
    >it to the computer drive to play it. It failed. They play fine before
    >being ejected the first time.

    Please do the one thing I suggest, look at the disc closely for
    scuffing, a dull ring around the inside tracks of the DVD-r, anything
    at all visibly different in the disc before and after burning. Maybe
    the tray lifts the disc before it stops turning, maybe the DVD-Rom is
    doing the damge I ascribed to the standalone - anything.

    You may be getting bad or inadequate burns, the burner not liking the
    media, if you're saying that the disc fails even if you don't put it
    in a standalone.

    Next suggestion, try a different brand of media....

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 14, 2003
  13. TCS

    TCS Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:32:35 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:
    >On 14 Sep 2003 15:52:16 GMT, TCS
    ><> wrote:

    >>On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:25:54 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:
    >>>Try first playing the DVD in a DIFFERENT standalone, then in the
    >>>DVD-rom. I'm betting this failure only happens after being put in one
    >>>particular Standalone.

    >>I burned another disk and this time I made sure I ejected it and returned
    >>it to the computer drive to play it. It failed. They play fine before
    >>being ejected the first time.

    >Please do the one thing I suggest, look at the disc closely for
    >scuffing, a dull ring around the inside tracks of the DVD-r, anything
    >at all visibly different in the disc before and after burning. Maybe
    >the tray lifts the disc before it stops turning, maybe the DVD-Rom is
    >doing the damge I ascribed to the standalone - anything.

    I did that but didn't mention it -- no scuffs on the recorded area
    and only the slightest scuff at where the disc is chucked.

    One thing I saw was that the software didn't recognize the media chemistry.
    When recording CDrs, it displays the name of the chemistry used and says that
    it sets the laser power output accordingly.
    TCS, Sep 14, 2003
  14. On 14 Sep 2003 17:44:43 GMT, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:32:35 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:
    >>On 14 Sep 2003 15:52:16 GMT, TCS
    >><> wrote:

    >>>I burned another disk and this time I made sure I ejected it and returned
    >>>it to the computer drive to play it. It failed. They play fine before
    >>>being ejected the first time.

    >>Please do the one thing I suggest, look at the disc closely for
    >>scuffing, a dull ring around the inside tracks of the DVD-r, anything
    >>at all visibly different in the disc before and after burning. Maybe
    >>the tray lifts the disc before it stops turning, maybe the DVD-Rom is
    >>doing the damge I ascribed to the standalone - anything.

    >I did that but didn't mention it -- no scuffs on the recorded area
    >and only the slightest scuff at where the disc is chucked.
    >
    >One thing I saw was that the software didn't recognize the media chemistry.
    >When recording CDrs, it displays the name of the chemistry used and says that
    >it sets the laser power output accordingly.

    Ok, so what we seem to be seeing is that as long as the DVD remains
    mounted after burning, it can be read, but once it's DISMOUNTED then
    the Kernel can't remount the drive. This suggests strongly,
    ironically, that as suggested for w32 Aspi there may be a problem with
    how the burning program accesses the burner via the "Driver" or
    whatever it's called for Linux. May I suggest one of the diagnostic
    tools that exist for checking Linux vs IDE I/O?

    Also you say the software doesn't recognize the meda, and therefore
    probably isn't setting the laser current properly, in fact the thng
    may not be recording at ALL! Which brings us back to the previous
    paragraph. A magnifying glass and a good light source can check for
    the rainbow effect of a recorded blank.

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 14, 2003
  15. TCS

    TCS Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:02:22 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:
    >>I did that but didn't mention it -- no scuffs on the recorded area
    >>and only the slightest scuff at where the disc is chucked.
    >>
    >>One thing I saw was that the software didn't recognize the media chemistry.
    >>When recording CDrs, it displays the name of the chemistry used and says that
    >>it sets the laser power output accordingly.

    >Ok, so what we seem to be seeing is that as long as the DVD remains
    >mounted after burning, it can be read, but once it's DISMOUNTED then
    >the Kernel can't remount the drive. This suggests strongly,
    >ironically, that as suggested for w32 Aspi there may be a problem with
    >how the burning program accesses the burner via the "Driver" or
    >whatever it's called for Linux. May I suggest one of the diagnostic
    >tools that exist for checking Linux vs IDE I/O?

    >Also you say the software doesn't recognize the meda, and therefore
    >probably isn't setting the laser current properly, in fact the thng
    >may not be recording at ALL! Which brings us back to the previous
    >paragraph. A magnifying glass and a good light source can check for
    >the rainbow effect of a recorded blank.

    It is definitely recording. The software used for recording isn't the
    software used for playback and there isn't a cache large enough -- the
    playback software has no idea where the ISO file lives and the recorded data
    is 7 times available physical memory. also verified -- 80% of the media
    is slightely lighter starting from the inner tracks.
    TCS, Sep 14, 2003
  16. On 14 Sep 2003 18:16:35 GMT, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:02:22 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:
    >>>I did that but didn't mention it -- no scuffs on the recorded area
    >>>and only the slightest scuff at where the disc is chucked.
    >>>
    >>>One thing I saw was that the software didn't recognize the media chemistry.
    >>>When recording CDrs, it displays the name of the chemistry used and says that
    >>>it sets the laser power output accordingly.

    >>Ok, so what we seem to be seeing is that as long as the DVD remains
    >>mounted after burning, it can be read, but once it's DISMOUNTED then
    >>the Kernel can't remount the drive. This suggests strongly,
    >>ironically, that as suggested for w32 Aspi there may be a problem with
    >>how the burning program accesses the burner via the "Driver" or
    >>whatever it's called for Linux. May I suggest one of the diagnostic
    >>tools that exist for checking Linux vs IDE I/O?

    >>Also you say the software doesn't recognize the meda, and therefore
    >>probably isn't setting the laser current properly, in fact the thng
    >>may not be recording at ALL! Which brings us back to the previous
    >>paragraph. A magnifying glass and a good light source can check for
    >>the rainbow effect of a recorded blank.

    >It is definitely recording. The software used for recording isn't the
    >software used for playback and there isn't a cache large enough -- the
    >playback software has no idea where the ISO file lives and the recorded data
    >is 7 times available physical memory. also verified -- 80% of the media
    >is slightely lighter starting from the inner tracks.

    Yes but are you seeing the DVD before removing the disc, and not after
    putting it back in the drive? That's a Linux problem.

    ..Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 14, 2003
  17. TCS

    luminos Guest

    <> wrote:

    chemistry.

    says that

    > >>Ok, so what we seem to be seeing is that as long as the DVD remains
    > >>mounted after burning, it can be read, but once it's DISMOUNTED then
    > >>the Kernel can't remount the drive. This suggests strongly,
    > >>ironically, that as suggested for w32 Aspi there may be a problem with
    > >>how the burning program accesses the burner via the "Driver" or
    > >>whatever it's called for Linux. May I suggest one of the diagnostic
    > >>tools that exist for checking Linux vs IDE I/O?

    > >>Also you say the software doesn't recognize the meda, and therefore
    > >>probably isn't setting the laser current properly, in fact the thng
    > >>may not be recording at ALL! Which brings us back to the previous
    > >>paragraph. A magnifying glass and a good light source can check for
    > >>the rainbow effect of a recorded blank.

    > >It is definitely recording. The software used for recording isn't the
    > >software used for playback and there isn't a cache large enough -- the
    > >playback software has no idea where the ISO file lives and the recorded

    data
    > >is 7 times available physical memory. also verified -- 80% of the media
    > >is slightely lighter starting from the inner tracks.

    > Yes but are you seeing the DVD before removing the disc, and not after
    > putting it back in the drive? That's a Linux problem.
    >
    > .Steve .

    Most certainly. Welcome to Linux...that does not use drivers LOL.
    luminos, Sep 14, 2003
  18. TCS

    TCS Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:59:56 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:
    >On 14 Sep 2003 18:16:35 GMT, TCS
    ><> wrote:

    >>>Ok, so what we seem to be seeing is that as long as the DVD remains
    >>>mounted after burning, it can be read, but once it's DISMOUNTED then
    >>>the Kernel can't remount the drive. This suggests strongly,
    >>>ironically, that as suggested for w32 Aspi there may be a problem with
    >>>how the burning program accesses the burner via the "Driver" or
    >>>whatever it's called for Linux. May I suggest one of the diagnostic
    >>>tools that exist for checking Linux vs IDE I/O?

    >>>Also you say the software doesn't recognize the meda, and therefore
    >>>probably isn't setting the laser current properly, in fact the thng
    >>>may not be recording at ALL! Which brings us back to the previous
    >>>paragraph. A magnifying glass and a good light source can check for
    >>>the rainbow effect of a recorded blank.

    >>It is definitely recording. The software used for recording isn't the
    >>software used for playback and there isn't a cache large enough -- the
    >>playback software has no idea where the ISO file lives and the recorded data
    >>is 7 times available physical memory. also verified -- 80% of the media
    >>is slightely lighter starting from the inner tracks.

    >Yes but are you seeing the DVD before removing the disc, and not after
    >putting it back in the drive? That's a Linux problem.

    I'm seeing the disk just like the home players do and just like
    a friend's windows box. Full of errors.
    TCS, Sep 14, 2003
  19. TCS

    TCS Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:34:50 -0700, luminos <> wrote:

    >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    >> On 14 Sep 2003 18:16:35 GMT, TCS
    >> <> wrote:

    >chemistry.

    >says that

    >> >It is definitely recording. The software used for recording isn't the
    >> >software used for playback and there isn't a cache large enough -- the
    >> >playback software has no idea where the ISO file lives and the recorded

    >data
    >> >is 7 times available physical memory. also verified -- 80% of the media
    >> >is slightely lighter starting from the inner tracks.

    >> Yes but are you seeing the DVD before removing the disc, and not after
    >> putting it back in the drive? That's a Linux problem.
    >>
    >> .Steve .
    >>

    >Most certainly. Welcome to Linux...that does not use drivers LOL.

    Quit acting like a retard. I said I didn't "have such problems" when
    responding to somebody mentioning a windows bug.
    TCS, Sep 14, 2003
  20. On 14 Sep 2003 22:02:01 GMT, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:59:56 -0400, Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:
    >>On 14 Sep 2003 18:16:35 GMT, TCS
    >><> wrote:

    >>>It is definitely recording. The software used for recording isn't the
    >>>software used for playback and there isn't a cache large enough -- the
    >>>playback software has no idea where the ISO file lives and the recorded data
    >>>is 7 times available physical memory. also verified -- 80% of the media
    >>>is slightely lighter starting from the inner tracks.

    >>Yes but are you seeing the DVD before removing the disc, and not after
    >>putting it back in the drive? That's a Linux problem.

    >I'm seeing the disk just like the home players do and just like
    >a friend's windows box. Full of errors.

    Ok, there we go, the recording software doesn't see the disc properly,
    and the result is full of errors.

    (1) Try a different brand of media

    (2) try different software

    (2) consider recompiling the kernel with a newer I/O Module. Also
    there may be a Faq regarding your recorder and your build of Linux,
    THIS would be nothing new, I've had to deal with similar problems when
    running Red Hat in the 1990's.

    .:eek:)) .. Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 15, 2003