DVD+R recorded on DVD-recorder won't play on PC (but files show)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Lars-Erik Østerud, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. I have recorder a DVD+R on my new Philips DVDR3320V DVD-recorder.

    The disc plays OK on the recorder itself, and on my two PCs (one with
    a DVD-recorder, on only with DVD-reader) the content of the DVD is
    showing OK (I can see the VIDEO_TS folder and the .IFO, .BUP and .VOB
    files within).

    But when I try to play the disc Media player locks up. Also DVD Shrink
    gives a "Failed to read file E:\ Reached end of file." if I try to
    open the disc (tried opening the VIDEO_TS on harddisk as well).

    I also tried copying the VIDEO_TS folder to my harddisk, but that
    doesn't help. Still lockes up if I try playing any files :-(

    Anyone know what is the problem? What is wrong with the files?

    I'm wondering if I'll just return the DVD-recorder, what is the use of
    a DVD-recorder if other players can't play the DVDs it produces, and
    not even DVD Shrink can copy them (if the DVD-recorder breaks down all
    my films I have recorded will be lost if no one else can read them).

    (please strip newsgroup-list according to where replies fit best)
    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Lars-Erik Østerud, Jan 7, 2006

  2. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 15:29:45 +0100, Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> wrote:

    >I have recorder a DVD+R on my new Philips DVDR3320V DVD-recorder.
    >
    >The disc plays OK on the recorder itself, and on my two PCs (one with
    >a DVD-recorder, on only with DVD-reader) the content of the DVD is
    >showing OK (I can see the VIDEO_TS folder and the .IFO, .BUP and .VOB
    >files within).
    >
    >But when I try to play the disc Media player locks up. Also DVD Shrink
    >gives a "Failed to read file E:\ Reached end of file." if I try to
    >open the disc (tried opening the VIDEO_TS on harddisk as well).

    Try finalizing the disk in the DVDR.

    --

    Aleph-null bottles of beer on the wall,
    Aleph-null bottles of beer.

    Bob, Jan 7, 2006

  3. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Paul C. Guest

    (Bob) wrote in news:43bfe23b.248115140@news-
    server.houston.rr.com:

    > On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 15:29:45 +0100, Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> wrote:
    >
    >>I have recorder a DVD+R on my new Philips DVDR3320V DVD-recorder.
    >>
    >>The disc plays OK on the recorder itself, and on my two PCs (one with
    >>a DVD-recorder, on only with DVD-reader) the content of the DVD is
    >>showing OK (I can see the VIDEO_TS folder and the .IFO, .BUP and .VOB
    >>files within).
    >>
    >>But when I try to play the disc Media player locks up. Also DVD Shrink
    >>gives a "Failed to read file E:\ Reached end of file." if I try to
    >>open the disc (tried opening the VIDEO_TS on harddisk as well).

    > Try finalizing the disk in the DVDR.

    And use DVD+RW if you don't want to finalize the disk, you can use them
    without finalizing.

    Paul C., Jan 7, 2006
  4. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 18:35:59 GMT, "Paul C." <>
    wrote:

    >>>But when I try to play the disc Media player locks up. Also DVD Shrink
    >>>gives a "Failed to read file E:\ Reached end of file." if I try to
    >>>open the disc (tried opening the VIDEO_TS on harddisk as well).

    >> Try finalizing the disk in the DVDR.

    >And use DVD+RW if you don't want to finalize the disk, you can use them
    >without finalizing.

    I had a DVDR where +RWs needed to be finalized to play outside. But my
    current unit does not have an option for +RWs.

    Bob, Jan 7, 2006
  5. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Paul C. Guest

    (Bob) wrote in news:43c01e46.263486046@news-
    server.houston.rr.com:

    > I had a DVDR where +RWs needed to be finalized to play outside. But my
    > current unit does not have an option for +RWs.

    Wow, is that common ? (needing to finalize DVD+RW's I mean) I just bought a
    dirt cheap Cyberhome DVD recorder as I didn't feel like spending a bunch
    right now but it's great in that I can take DVD+RW's & use them in other
    players with no problems.

    Paul C., Jan 7, 2006
  6. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Biz Guest

    Most decent players, (read not the cheap Cyberhome, or Mustek, or <insert
    other crap brand here>), that have good reliability, great PQ and SQ, will
    not play unfinalized media period. All those FUNAI based Korean, Taiwanese,
    etc.. $40 specials that play everything but do NOTHING well, are really the
    only ones that allow such use. They have laxed all teh standards and regs
    that most decent brands adhere to. Which makes them quite popular among the
    file sharing downloaders, who dont give a crap about quality, but go for
    quantity and cheapness, since they are too cheap to even rent titles, but
    rely on teh illegal activities of scumbags for their entertainment.

    Biz, Jan 7, 2006
  7. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Paul C. Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in

    > Most decent players, (read not the cheap Cyberhome, or Mustek, or
    > <insert other crap brand here>), that have good reliability, great PQ
    > and SQ, will not play unfinalized media period.

    Wow, so that's a major disadvantage that "good" players have ?! That's kind
    of weird isn't it ? So on a good player you have to finalize every disk you
    use ?! Even DVD RW discs ?! I just want to make sure I'm not
    misunderstanding you because that's what it looks like you're saying.

    Paul C., Jan 7, 2006
  8. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 20:23:07 GMT, "Paul C." <>
    wrote:

    > (Bob) wrote in news:43c01e46.263486046@news-
    >server.houston.rr.com:
    >
    >> I had a DVDR where +RWs needed to be finalized to play outside. But my
    >> current unit does not have an option for +RWs.

    >Wow, is that common ? (needing to finalize DVD+RW's I mean) I just bought a
    >dirt cheap Cyberhome DVD recorder as I didn't feel like spending a bunch
    >right now but it's great in that I can take DVD+RW's & use them in other
    >players with no problems.

    I have the ILO DVDR05, which is essentially the same as the CH 1600.

    There are two basic models: ZU and MU (latest is MU1).

    The ZU is now obsolete, but when I had it before I returned it, it
    forced you to Finalize DVD +RWs. If you did not do that, the disc
    would not play in my Apex player. However, when I got the MU/MU1, it
    would not let me Finalize a +RW, and the disc would play in the Apex
    player.

    Bob, Jan 8, 2006
  9. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 22:50:46 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >Most decent players, (read not the cheap Cyberhome, or Mustek, or <insert
    >other crap brand here>)

    FOAD, pipsqueak troll.

    As usual you do not know what you are talking about. You have never
    even owned a Cyberhome or ILO unit, so your claims are irrelevant. I
    have owned every major version of the ILO DVDR05, so I know what I am
    talking about.

    The Cyberhome 1600, which is the ILO DVDR05, is a great value for the
    money. You just have to make sure you get the latest version, which is
    the DVDR05-MU1.

    With the latest firmware I can play almost any AVI or MPG from any
    source. That means I can get 15 or more episodes of a 1 hour program
    on one SL DVD - and the resolution is better than a 6 hour VHS
    recording.

    And I do not have to author anything - just burn the files with Nero
    as a DVD Data Disc. The ILO presents the file directory on screen and
    I can make my selections with the remote control.

    That is not the characteristics of a "crap brand". Even "most decent
    players" can't do that.

    Furthermore I have seen as much complaining about the top-end Pioneer,
    Philips, Panasonic, et al, units as the ILO. Most of the ILO
    complaints are about the previous DVDR04, which is not a Cyberhome but
    a LiteOn.

    Bob, Jan 8, 2006
  10. Lars-Erik Østerud

    John Guest

    (Bob) wrote in news:43c10b81.324220218@news-
    server.houston.rr.com:

    > The Cyberhome 1600, which is the ILO DVDR05, is a great value for the
    > money. You just have to make sure you get the latest version, which is
    > the DVDR05-MU1.

    I agree. This recorder is excellent!

    John, Jan 8, 2006
  11. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Biz Guest

    Since you cant figure it out for yourself...I'll paraphrase it for you..

    Most decent players will not play unfinalized media period.

    Note I didnt say all, and I never distinguished between -/+ or RW media.
    Having to finalize RW media is completely irrelevent, since after you're
    done using it you just can erase it or reformat it to re-use again anyway.
    You must fall into the quantity over quality crowd, enjoy your mediocrity...

    Biz, Jan 8, 2006
  12. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Paul C. Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in

    > Since you cant figure it out for yourself...I'll paraphrase it for
    > you..
    >
    > Most decent players will not play unfinalized media period.
    >
    > Note I didnt say all, and I never distinguished between -/+ or RW
    > media. Having to finalize RW media is completely irrelevent, since
    > after you're done using it you just can erase it or reformat it to
    > re-use again anyway. You must fall into the quantity over quality
    > crowd, enjoy your mediocrity...

    Wow, amazing how the "better" players suffer from such a serious
    disadvantage. Oh well, enjoy your "superiority" :p

    Paul C., Jan 9, 2006