    why this phenomenon might exist. Thanks in advance to whomever can
    offer some insight.

    D.
    dmcg, Nov 16, 2007

  2. dmcg

    Paul Heslop Guest

    dmcg wrote:

    > I recently purchased a spindle of TDK-R (16x) discs that are
    > unrecognizable on my PC and unburnable, using NERO, ROXIO and
    > imgburn. I'm running Windows XP, SP2. The discs work fine on my stand-
    > alone LITE-0N DVD recorder and I've since been able to burn TDK-R's,
    > from another spindle, on my PC.
    >
    > Has anyone else run across this kind of problem or know of a reason
    > why this phenomenon might exist. Thanks in advance to whomever can
    > offer some insight.
    >
    > D.

    your burner may be incompatible or may need a firmware upgrade. If
    it's an older one it may not be able to cope with the speed of the
    discs without an upgrade. If you know the exact model of the burner
    check the website for any firmware updates.

    --
    Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Nov 16, 2007

  3. dmcg

    Tarkus Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > dmcg wrote:
    >> I recently purchased a spindle of TDK-R (16x) discs that are
    >> unrecognizable on my PC and unburnable, using NERO, ROXIO and
    >> imgburn. I'm running Windows XP, SP2. The discs work fine on my stand-
    >> alone LITE-0N DVD recorder and I've since been able to burn TDK-R's,
    >> from another spindle, on my PC.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else run across this kind of problem or know of a reason
    >> why this phenomenon might exist. Thanks in advance to whomever can
    >> offer some insight.
    >>
    >> D.

    > your burner may be incompatible or may need a firmware upgrade. If
    > it's an older one it may not be able to cope with the speed of the
    > discs without an upgrade.

    Aren't all discs backwards compatible all the way to 1x? I don't see
    where the speed of the discs is an issue. Their listed speeds are the
    maximum, not the minimum.
    Tarkus, Nov 16, 2007
  4. dmcg

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Tarkus wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > dmcg wrote:
    > >> I recently purchased a spindle of TDK-R (16x) discs that are
    > >> unrecognizable on my PC and unburnable, using NERO, ROXIO and
    > >> imgburn. I'm running Windows XP, SP2. The discs work fine on my stand-
    > >> alone LITE-0N DVD recorder and I've since been able to burn TDK-R's,
    > >> from another spindle, on my PC.
    > >>
    > >> Has anyone else run across this kind of problem or know of a reason
    > >> why this phenomenon might exist. Thanks in advance to whomever can
    > >> offer some insight.
    > >>
    > >> D.

    > > your burner may be incompatible or may need a firmware upgrade. If
    > > it's an older one it may not be able to cope with the speed of the
    > > discs without an upgrade.

    > Aren't all discs backwards compatible all the way to 1x? I don't see
    > where the speed of the discs is an issue. Their listed speeds are the
    > maximum, not the minimum.

    I am sure I have seen it mentioned that 16X speed discs may not be
    compatible with some drives which the firmware was not written for
    16X. I may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. :O)

    actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
    but hopefully doesn't apply in this case

    http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/Blank_DVD-R_Discs.html

    "TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
    DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
    (DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
    provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
    (ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
    recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
    store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
    SP mode (DVD quality)."

    Paul Heslop, Nov 16, 2007
  5. dmcg

    Tarkus Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
    > but hopefully doesn't apply in this case
    >
    > http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/Blank_DVD-R_Discs.html
    >
    > "TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
    > DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
    > (DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
    > provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
    > (ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
    > recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
    > store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
    > SP mode (DVD quality)."

    Yes, that is scary indeed.

    OTOH, new burners are dirt cheap these days and don't have these issues.
    Tarkus, Nov 16, 2007
  6. dmcg

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Tarkus wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
    > > but hopefully doesn't apply in this case
    > >
    > > http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/Blank_DVD-R_Discs.html
    > >
    > > "TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
    > > DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
    > > (DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
    > > provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
    > > (ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
    > > recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
    > > store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
    > > SP mode (DVD quality)."

    > Yes, that is scary indeed.
    >
    > OTOH, new burners are dirt cheap these days and don't have these issues.

    Yep. I held fire myself til very recently, til I could get a machine
    with all formats and 16X for a reasonable price.

    Paul Heslop, Nov 17, 2007
  7. dmcg

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Heslop <> wrote:
    >Tarkus wrote:
    >>
    >> Paul Heslop wrote:

    >> > your burner may be incompatible or may need a firmware upgrade. If
    >> > it's an older one it may not be able to cope with the speed of the
    >> > discs without an upgrade.

    >> Aren't all discs backwards compatible all the way to 1x? I don't see
    >> where the speed of the discs is an issue. Their listed speeds are the
    >> maximum, not the minimum.

    >I am sure I have seen it mentioned that 16X speed discs may not be
    >compatible with some drives which the firmware was not written for
    >16X. I may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. :O)
    >
    >actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
    >but hopefully doesn't apply in this case
    >
    >http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/Blank_DVD-R_Discs.html
    >
    >"TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
    >DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
    >(DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
    >provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
    >(ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
    >recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
    >store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
    >SP mode (DVD quality)."

    This comment refers to a particular ancient Pioneer DVD-R drive, as I
    remember; and that issue had long since been addressed by a firmware
    update.
    Mike S., Nov 17, 2007
  8. On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 22:37:14 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <> wrote:

    >dmcg wrote:
    >>
    >> I recently purchased a spindle of TDK-R (16x) discs that are
    >> unrecognizable on my PC and unburnable, using NERO, ROXIO and
    >> imgburn. I'm running Windows XP, SP2. The discs work fine on my stand-
    >> alone LITE-0N DVD recorder and I've since been able to burn TDK-R's,
    >> from another spindle, on my PC.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else run across this kind of problem or know of a reason
    >> why this phenomenon might exist. Thanks in advance to whomever can
    >> offer some insight.
    >>
    >> D.

    >your burner may be incompatible or may need a firmware upgrade. If
    >it's an older one it may not be able to cope with the speed of the
    >discs without an upgrade. If you know the exact model of the burner
    >check the website for any firmware updates.

    Bullshit. A higher "speed of disc" will burn at a slower speed in ANY
    burner.

    You need to "cope with" keeping your bullshit to yourself.
    Herbert John \Jackie\ Gleason, Nov 17, 2007
  9. On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:21:13 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <> wrote:

    >Tarkus wrote:
    >>
    >> Paul Heslop wrote:

    >> > your burner may be incompatible or may need a firmware upgrade. If
    >> > it's an older one it may not be able to cope with the speed of the
    >> > discs without an upgrade.

    >> Aren't all discs backwards compatible all the way to 1x? I don't see
    >> where the speed of the discs is an issue. Their listed speeds are the
    >> maximum, not the minimum.

    >I am sure I have seen it mentioned that 16X speed discs may not be
    >compatible with some drives which the firmware was not written for
    >16X. I may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. :O)

    Yes, in the MAX speed realm, not the slower speed realm.

    >actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
    >but hopefully doesn't apply in this case
    >
    >http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/Blank_DVD-R_Discs.html
    >
    >"TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
    >DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
    >(DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
    >provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
    >(ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
    >recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
    >store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
    >SP mode (DVD quality)."

    Since a player decides it max burn capacity, I find it VERY HARD to
    believe that the disc medium can produce a scenario where the
    player/burner has a catastrophic failure due to an attempt to burn ANY
    burnable disc in its library of compatible mediums.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 17, 2007
  10. On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:39:34 -0800, Tarkus <>
    wrote:

    >Paul Heslop wrote:
    >> actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
    >> but hopefully doesn't apply in this case
    >>
    >> http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/Blank_DVD-R_Discs.html
    >>
    >> "TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
    >> DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
    >> (DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
    >> provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
    >> (ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
    >> recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
    >> store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
    >> SP mode (DVD quality)."

    >Yes, that is scary indeed.
    >
    >OTOH, new burners are dirt cheap these days and don't have these issues.

    I don't care what TDK says or wrote. It makes no sense at all.

    Hell, even the LightScribe burners are cheap now.

    Now they need to make the discs cheap.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 17, 2007
  11. On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 08:29:16 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <> wrote:

    >Tarkus wrote:
    >>
    >> Paul Heslop wrote:
    >> > actually, on a little google I just found this and it's a bit scary,
    >> > but hopefully doesn't apply in this case
    >> >
    >> > http://www.tiktak-it.co.uk/acatalog/Blank_DVD-R_Discs.html
    >> >
    >> > "TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
    >> > DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
    >> > (DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
    >> > provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
    >> > (ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
    >> > recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
    >> > store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
    >> > SP mode (DVD quality)."

    >> Yes, that is scary indeed.
    >>
    >> OTOH, new burners are dirt cheap these days and don't have these issues.

    >Yep. I held fire myself til very recently, til I could get a machine
    >with all formats and 16X for a reasonable price.

    You bought a whole machine? Have you ever opened a case, or installed
    a drive yourself? The way you worded that sounds like you are one of
    those dweebs that calls an electrician to get a light bulb changed.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 17, 2007
  12. dmcg

    Paul Heslop Guest

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    > >Yep. I held fire myself til very recently, til I could get a machine
    > >with all formats and 16X for a reasonable price.

    > You bought a whole machine? Have you ever opened a case, or installed
    > a drive yourself? The way you worded that sounds like you are one of
    > those dweebs that calls an electrician to get a light bulb changed.

    :O) It's just the way I write, sometimes the correct word doesn't
    arrive in time. I meant 'drive'

    Paul Heslop, Nov 17, 2007
  13. dmcg

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "Mike S." wrote:

    > >"TDK DVD-R - 4.7GB - 16x speed - box of 10 jewel cases. Ref: TDK-6153
    > >DVD-R47CBEC10: TDK high performance write once DVD minus discs
    > >(DVD-R). Box of 10 individual jewel cases. These single sided discs
    > >provide the standard 4.7GB data capacity and are rated 1x - 16x speed
    > >(ver 2.1 rev 6.0). It should be noted that use in incompatible
    > >recorders may lead to permanent damage to the recorder. The disc can
    > >store 4 hours of video capacity in EP mode (VHS quality) or 2 hours in
    > >SP mode (DVD quality)."

    > This comment refers to a particular ancient Pioneer DVD-R drive, as I
    > remember; and that issue had long since been addressed by a firmware
    > update.

    ah, that's a relief.
    Paul Heslop, Nov 17, 2007
  14. dmcg

    Paul Heslop Guest

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    > Since a player decides it max burn capacity, I find it VERY HARD to
    > believe that the disc medium can produce a scenario where the
    > player/burner has a catastrophic failure due to an attempt to burn ANY
    > burnable disc in its library of compatible mediums.

    I agree, it seems quite over the top, but it is just something I found
    while searching for any mention of problems with the discs.

    Paul Heslop, Nov 17, 2007
  15. dmcg

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Herbert John \"Jackie\" Gleason wrote:

    > Bullshit. A higher "speed of disc" will burn at a slower speed in ANY
    > burner.
    >
    > You need to "cope with" keeping your bullshit to yourself.

    Oh great, an angry person for no good reason. I will state again I
    have seen it mentioned, even on the external casing of discs, that
    some drives may need a firmware update to use the discs. I was making
    a suggestion, and it certainly isn't cast in stone. BTW, where were
    YOU and where is YOUR answer to the problem?

    Paul Heslop, Nov 17, 2007
  16. On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 18:23:24 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <> wrote:

    >Herbert John \"Jackie\" Gleason wrote:
    >>

    >> Bullshit. A higher "speed of disc" will burn at a slower speed in ANY
    >> burner.
    >>
    >> You need to "cope with" keeping your bullshit to yourself.

    >Oh great, an angry person for no good reason.

    I am not angry, and there is nothing angry about what I wrote.

    > I will state again I
    >have seen it mentioned, even on the external casing of discs, that
    >some drives may need a firmware update to use the discs.

    At their MAX speed, NOT at a lower speed.

    > I was making
    >a suggestion, and it certainly isn't cast in stone.

    Whatever.

    > BTW, where were
    >YOU and where is YOUR answer to the problem?

    Drives get old. Laser heads sag, fall out of calibration and refuse to
    read disc data, much less the disc type indicator on the hub. I have
    several old drives that work perfectly if they are simply inverted
    (turned upside down). I am not saying that is what his problem is though,
    nor that operating a drive inverted is a solution. Merely that laser
    head calibration may be the cause IF the drive is very old, or has a
    large number of operating hours on it.

    Answer? Do not attempt to use those discs in that drive.
    Herbert John \Jackie\ Gleason, Nov 17, 2007
  17. dmcg

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Herbert John \"Jackie\" Gleason wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 18:23:24 GMT, Paul Heslop
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Herbert John \"Jackie\" Gleason wrote:
    > >>

    > >> Bullshit. A higher "speed of disc" will burn at a slower speed in ANY
    > >> burner.
    > >>
    > >> You need to "cope with" keeping your bullshit to yourself.

    > >Oh great, an angry person for no good reason.

    > I am not angry, and there is nothing angry about what I wrote.

    Oh, could be something to do with "You need to "cope with" keeping
    your bullshit to yourself." but then I am a sensitive kind of guy.

    > > I will state again I
    > >have seen it mentioned, even on the external casing of discs, that
    > >some drives may need a firmware update to use the discs.

    > At their MAX speed, NOT at a lower speed.

    The OP didn't really give us that much to work with, I don't think.

    > > I was making
    > >a suggestion, and it certainly isn't cast in stone.

    > Whatever.

    I hope you rolled your eyes and put your hand up when you said that
    :O)

    > > BTW, where were
    > >YOU and where is YOUR answer to the problem?

    > Drives get old. Laser heads sag, fall out of calibration and refuse to
    > read disc data, much less the disc type indicator on the hub. I have
    > several old drives that work perfectly if they are simply inverted
    > (turned upside down). I am not saying that is what his problem is though,
    > nor that operating a drive inverted is a solution. Merely that laser
    > head calibration may be the cause IF the drive is very old, or has a
    > large number of operating hours on it.
    >
    > Answer? Do not attempt to use those discs in that drive.

    Pretty much. It really does help when we know what the drive is etc.

    Paul Heslop, Nov 17, 2007
  18. On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 20:34:20 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <> wrote:

    >> > I will state again I
    >> >have seen it mentioned, even on the external casing of discs, that
    >> >some drives may need a firmware update to use the discs.

    >> At their MAX speed, NOT at a lower speed.
    >>

    >The OP didn't really give us that much to work with, I don't think.

    Use your brain. No drive has ANY problem with any speed disc of a
    greater speed than the drive is capable of burning, so YES, we were
    "given" all the information we fucking needed.

    Come back when the amount of common sense you possess is larger than
    that which would fit on the tip of a molecular probe.
    Herbert John \Jackie\ Gleason, Nov 18, 2007
  19. Johnnie Leung, Nov 18, 2007
  20. dmcg

    Derek Guest

    Derek, Nov 18, 2007