DVD+R data recovery

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Aug 4, 2008.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all....Using Kubuntu 8.04

    I've been given a 4.7GB DVD+R with misc files. One of the files (~450MB
    iso) is un-readable and un-copyable. After 300MB copied there's a "could
    not read file" error. I've tried on three computers.

    The disk surface is pretty much scratch-free.

    There are a few black dots in the dye layer so I'm guessing the error is
    caused by poor quality media. The "Transonic" label is another clue :)

    Does anyone have a procedure for recovering files from damaged optical
    media. Links, google keywords and software suggestions welcome.

    I'm thinking it's "all or nothing" when recovering an iso file but the
    procedures followed will stand me in good stead for future times.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Aug 4, 2008

  2. In article <g765k9$pv2$>, Lodi did write:

    > I've been given a 4.7GB DVD+R with misc files. One of the files (~450MB
    > iso) is un-readable and un-copyable. After 300MB copied there's a "could
    > not read file" error.

    You could try making an image copy of the disc with dd using
    its "conv=noerror" option. This will copy as much as it can. Then try doing
    a loopback mount of the copied image file, and see what files (or parts
    thereof) you can retrieve off that.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 4, 2008

  3. Lodi

    J Brockley Guest

    "Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:47:40 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <g765k9$pv2$>, Lodi did write:
    >>
    >>> I've been given a 4.7GB DVD+R with misc files. One of the files (~450MB
    >>> iso) is un-readable and un-copyable. After 300MB copied there's a "could
    >>> not read file" error.

    >>You could try making an image copy of the disc with dd using
    >>its "conv=noerror" option. This will copy as much as it can. Then try
    >>doing
    >>a loopback mount of the copied image file, and see what files (or parts
    >>thereof) you can retrieve off that.

    > Its a ISO you need the whole file totally..
    >
    > The DVD must have holes in it, or corrosion then just kiss it good by.
    >

    > You just can't recover what you can't read..

    Not necessarily so. If the iso can be mounted it may only be the file in the
    faulty location that can't be retrieved.

    J Brockley, Aug 4, 2008
  4. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:47:40 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> In article <g765k9$pv2$>, Lodi did write:

    >> I've been given a 4.7GB DVD+R with misc files. One of the files (~450MB
    >> iso) is un-readable and un-copyable. After 300MB copied there's a
    >> "could not read file" error.

    > You could try making an image copy of the disc with dd using its
    > "conv=noerror" option. This will copy as much as it can. Then try doing
    > a loopback mount of the copied image file, and see what files (or parts
    > thereof) you can retrieve off that.

    Wow. Seriously impressed. I used...

    dd if=/media/cdrom0/training.iso of=/home/kubuntu/tmp/recovered.iso
    conv=notrunc,noerror

    and managed to get 441MB of the 455MB file. Took just over two hours to
    read 440MB. Got down to a read rate of 140kB/s in the corrupted parts.
    Very slow.

    Mounted the recovered iso (a collection of training videos) and managed
    to skim through them. Definitely watchable. Job done as far as I'm
    concerned.

    Thanks LDO
    Thanks all

    Lodi