    widescreen and full screen movies have different UPC numbers?
    Sorry for the rant, but I doubt I am the only one that is annoyed by this.

    AceoHearts
    AceoHearts, Aug 20, 2004

  2. AceoHearts

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:52:11 GMT, "AceoHearts" <>
    wrote:

    > Well I updated a bunch of profiles tonight and low and behold I had to
    >change 95% of them. Why do people continue to put "widescreen" or "unrated"
    >in the description? That is not what goes in there. I actually had one
    >that the description was "2 disc unrated widescreen version" Who is doing
    >this? I thought that you were supposed to go through the "training program"
    >before you were allowed to submit anything. I wish people could learn to
    >read before placing stupid desciptions up. Don't they realize that
    >widescreen and full screen movies have different UPC numbers?
    > Sorry for the rant, but I doubt I am the only one that is annoyed by this.
    >

    >AceoHearts

    And I want to thank you for doing that Ace. It saves me time. No
    apparently they don't realize very much at all. I go through about
    every couple of months and reread the rules. I wish they would leave
    the old stuff alone and concentrate on setting up the DVDs that are
    not setup yet. It takes time, to enter the text and actors, to scan
    the covers, but it saves others a lot of time.

    --
    Still Howlin' at the Moon!

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com
    Wild Coyote, Aug 20, 2004

  3. AceoHearts

    Guest

    no, widescreen and fullscreen versions do not aways have different upc
    numbers, even when they're on two different discs that have to be
    purchased separately from each other.

    haven't you read all the complaints in these newsgroups about people who
    wanted and ordered the widescreen version ending up mistakenly getting
    the fullscreen version because the fullscreen versions had the SAME upc
    number as the widescreen versions even though they were two separate
    discs each fior sale individually?
    , Aug 21, 2004
  4. AceoHearts wrote:
    > Why do people continue to put "widescreen" or "unrated" in the
    > description?... Don't they realize that widescreen and full screen
    > movies have different UPC numbers?

    That's true in most cases, where the widescreen and "fullscreen" discs are
    released simultaneously, but not in *all* cases: when discs supercede one
    another, they sometimes re-use UPCs. Columbia, in particular, has re-issued
    several of their dual-format (WS/FS) discs as FS-only discs, using the same
    UPCs: both the original WS/FS disc of _Blue Thunder_ and the recent FS-only
    edition have UPC 4339601389.

    Since DVD Profiler supports multiple titles for the same UPC -- see, for
    instance, UPC 2454311299, which matches both the US and Canadian editions
    of _The Commitments_ -- having "widescreen/fullscreen" or "fullscreen" in
    the description can be important to distinguish these two editions from one
    another. And that's what the description field is for, according to DVD
    Profiler's contribution guidelines.

    doug

    --
    "Something burst, just out of reach..."
    --Wire
    Douglas Bailey, Aug 21, 2004
  5. "Douglas Bailey" <> wrote in message
    > AceoHearts wrote:
    > > Why do people continue to put "widescreen" or "unrated" in the
    > > description?... Don't they realize that widescreen and full screen
    > > movies have different UPC numbers?

    > That's true in most cases, where the widescreen and "fullscreen" discs are
    > released simultaneously, but not in *all* cases: when discs supercede one
    > another, they sometimes re-use UPCs. Columbia, in particular, has

    re-issued
    > several of their dual-format (WS/FS) discs as FS-only discs, using the

    same
    > UPCs: both the original WS/FS disc of _Blue Thunder_ and the recent

    FS-only
    > edition have UPC 4339601389.
    >
    > Since DVD Profiler supports multiple titles for the same UPC -- see, for
    > instance, UPC 2454311299, which matches both the US and Canadian editions
    > of _The Commitments_ -- having "widescreen/fullscreen" or "fullscreen" in
    > the description can be important to distinguish these two editions from

    one
    > another. And that's what the description field is for, according to DVD
    > Profiler's contribution guidelines.
    >
    > doug
    >
    > --
    > "Something burst, just out of reach..."
    > --Wire

    DVd profiler is great. It's free and it is great to use for parents that
    want to borrow a disc or two. My parents only have to go to the web page and
    pick titles. All the descriptions are there including full production cast
    info and story synopsis. Intervocative is doing a great job with DVD
    Profiler. I highly reccommend it. Check it out
    http://www.intervocative.com/Downloads.aspx
    Tad Bitt§ï£, Aug 26, 2004