DVD Profiler, CueCat, and WinXP SP2

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Roger Zoul, Oct 24, 2005.

  1. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Okay...my dvdproliler database died many, many moon ago when I was using
    another OS and the radioshack freebie cuecat...

    Today I decided to chuck the old database 'cause DVD Profiler never would
    start with the old files. So they're history now...

    Loaded on a new version of DVD Profiler....loaded up the old catnip
    software...got the cuecat going (I knew this one worked as it was working
    before the databased crashed)....now, it don't work!! I got a few reads off
    the thing, so there was a slight sign of life...but nothing else....

    also, the built-in plugin in DVD Profiler doesn't seem to help (when put in
    scan mode)....

    Obviously, I can type in UPCs or title, but damn...I have a big
    collection....

    Any useful suggestions would be appreciated....is there an inexpensive
    barcode scanner that others are using this is known to work well with DVD
    Profiler?

    Also, is the premium registration of DVD Profiler worth it? $30 seems like
    a good deal, provided the damn database doesn't crash again, that is.

    Thanks.

    Roger Zoul, Oct 24, 2005

  2. Roger Zoul

    P Pron Guest

    Roger Zoul wrote:
    || Okay...my dvdproliler database died many, many moon ago when I was
    || using another OS and the radioshack freebie cuecat...
    || Today I decided to chuck the old database 'cause DVD Profiler never
    || would start with the old files. So they're history now...
    || Loaded on a new version of DVD Profiler....loaded up the old catnip
    || software...got the cuecat going (I knew this one worked as it was
    || working before the databased crashed)....now, it don't work!! I got
    || a few reads off the thing, so there was a slight sign of life...but
    || nothing else....
    || also, the built-in plugin in DVD Profiler doesn't seem to help (when
    || put in scan mode)....
    || Obviously, I can type in UPCs or title, but damn...I have a big
    || collection....
    || Any useful suggestions would be appreciated....is there an
    || inexpensive barcode scanner that others are using this is known to
    || work well with DVD Profiler?
    || Also, is the premium registration of DVD Profiler worth it? $30
    || seems like a good deal, provided the damn database doesn't crash
    || again, that is.
    || Thanks.

    I bought a Cuecat off Ebay and it came with no software. But XP/SP1
    recognised it immediately, and the position hasn't changed with SP2 - it
    works perfectly. Perhaps the answer might be uninstall the software and try
    again.

    I'm still thinking about premium registration. AIUI the advantages are that
    you get better quality cover scans, and also there's no limit to the size of
    the collection you can upload to the website.

    Not sure what the upload limit is, without premium registration. But I'm not
    at all sure that I *want* better quality cover scans. My experience has been
    that the program slows down noticeably as the collection gets bigger. If
    better quality pictures mean that the program gets even slower, then I'm not
    interested...

    paul

    P Pron, Oct 24, 2005

  3. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    P Pron <> wrote:
    :> Roger Zoul wrote:
    :> || Okay...my dvdproliler database died many, many moon ago when I was
    :> || using another OS and the radioshack freebie cuecat...
    :> ||
[...]
    :>
    :> I bought a Cuecat off Ebay and it came with no software. But XP/SP1
    :> recognised it immediately, and the position hasn't changed with SP2
    :> - it works perfectly. Perhaps the answer might be uninstall the
    :> software and try again.

    Thanks for the info....I have one of the older unmodified versions that
    needed driver software...I just ordered a modified usb version....that
    should solve the problems (hopefully). Windows didn't recognize the one I
    have now when I inserted on. However, even without the catnip software, it
    did try to read a code inside DVD Profiler...it just was wrong...and then it
    quit working...I do have another one of these in the drawer, come to think
    of it...

    :>
    :> I'm still thinking about premium registration. AIUI the advantages
    :> are that you get better quality cover scans, and also there's no
    :> limit to the size of the collection you can upload to the website.
    :>
    :> Not sure what the upload limit is, without premium registration. But
    :> I'm not at all sure that I *want* better quality cover scans. My
    :> experience has been that the program slows down noticeably as the
    :> collection gets bigger. If better quality pictures mean that the
    :> program gets even slower, then I'm not interested...

    Yeah, I definitely don't want high quality cover scans if it means slowing
    things down. Nope. I'm also not sure of the value of uploading to a
    website....is that a backup feature? That's the only value I see in that...

    Thanks for your assistance.

    Roger Zoul, Oct 24, 2005
  4. Roger Zoul

    Jordan Guest