    So making a short story long, which uses less power, watching movie
    from hard drive or DVD?

    Thx

    Tripp Knightly, Apr 4, 2004

  2. Tripp Knightly

    Will Dormann Guest

    Re: DVD power consumption on Laptop: better to save to hard drivefirst?

    Tripp Knightly wrote:

    > So making a short story long, which uses less power, watching movie
    > from hard drive or DVD?

    The hard drive, of course. But whether or not it's worth the time and
    effort to do it, that's another story...

    -WD

    Will Dormann, Apr 4, 2004

  3. Tripp Knightly

    Toshi1873 Guest

    In article <120d8f1c.0404031513.2e52c642
    @posting.google.com>, says...
    > If I want to use as little battery power as possible to watch a movie
    > on a laptop, would it be more efficient to first archive the DVD to
    > the laptop and then watch the DVD iso file?
    >
    > I'm thinking about the scenario where I extract *BEFORE* unplugging
    > the laptop, not using the laptop (on battery) to first extract the
    > movie before watching it (which I would think would have to be more
    > wasteful than watching from DVD direct).
    >
    > So making a short story long, which uses less power, watching movie
    > from hard drive or DVD?
    >
    > Thx

    You'll either have to test or find the power ratings for
    the hard drive (which won't be allowed to spin down) vs
    the DVD drive.

    I'm curious as well... if you ever do test it.

    Toshi1873, Apr 6, 2004