    mark taylor Guest

    Is the quality of a laptop as good as a portable DVD player
    Thanks
    mark taylor, May 12, 2005

  2. mark taylor

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, mark taylor mused:

    | Is the quality of a laptop as good as a portable DVD player
    | Thanks

    Depends on the hardware in the laptop ... faster CPU and lots of RAM
    helps.
    mhicaoidh, May 12, 2005

  3. mark taylor wrote:

    > Is the quality of a laptop as good as a portable DVD player
    > Thanks

    Depends. Some laptops are very good at it. Some, the batteries don't
    last as long as the movie. Care to drop a hint as to which laptop?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 12, 2005
  4. mark taylor

    Puzzled Guest

    "mark taylor" <> wrote in message
    > Is the quality of a laptop as good as a portable DVD player
    > Thanks

    I note your NTL addy, so you're in UK.
    The may issue of "Digital home" mag covers this very subject.
    A number of "portable" playback devices were compared and
    the laptop won on all counts apart from battery life.
    Large screen/high resolution - only device that can play Hi-Def.
    Choice of media players etc, superior sound quality etc etc.
    Vast hard drive compared to other poratble devices. etc etc
    Read the review, mag in your local newsagent now!
    Puzzled, May 12, 2005
  5. mark taylor

    Aquanaut Guest

    > Is the quality of a laptop as good as a portable DVD player
    > Thanks

    No

    portable dvd players have a small screen.
    As a rule if a laptop has a <oem> dvd drive installed it will be more than
    capable of playing a movie (7 inch versus 15 or better)
    If you mean should i buy a portable dvd player or a laptop --- get the
    portable as you will have no use for the extra buttons on the laptop
    Aquanaut, May 12, 2005
  6. mark taylor

    Alfred Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 15:57:17 GMT, "mark taylor" <>
    wrote:

    >Is the quality of a laptop as good as a portable DVD player
    >Thanks

    In general, No. Is it enough quality difference to matter. Most
    times not. Portable DVD players are optimized for one thing.
    Play/Display DVD's. Native screen resolution is for that purpose,
    NTFS/PAL. Laptops are not set up usually to be optimized for DVD
    playback. But does it really matter for the reasons that you are
    looking?
    Alfred, May 13, 2005