DVD players

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nick Rennie, Jul 23, 2009.

  1. Nick Rennie

    Nick Rennie Guest

    Hi,

    Do those cheap (eg: at DSE) that say they play AVIs play them OK? Any
    recomendations?


    Thanks,

    Nick
     
    Nick Rennie, Jul 23, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Nick Rennie

    Mark C Guest

    "Nick Rennie" <> wrote in
    news:h48rsn$la3$:

    > Do those cheap (eg: at DSE) that say they play AVIs play them
    > OK? Any recomendations?


    I tested one (DSE ????) in-shop a year ago and it played most things
    well (max 720 pixels wide, no HD).

    Perhaps download the DivX Test CD, and burn to DVD or CD:
    http://divxtest.surdvd.com/What-is-DivxTest-Where-can-I-find.html
    .... then take it along and see if they will let you try it out?

    Mark
     
    Mark C, Jul 23, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Nick Rennie

    pystol Guest

    On Jul 23, 5:19 pm, "Nick Rennie" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Do those cheap (eg: at DSE) that say they play AVIs play them OK?  Any
    > recomendations?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nick


    Pioneer
     
    pystol, Jul 23, 2009
    #3
  4. Nick Rennie

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nick Rennie wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Do those cheap (eg: at DSE) that say they play AVIs play them OK? Any
    > recomendations?


    My DSE one died pretty quickly. :-(

    If you're looking I have a spare Philips DVP3252 that's only been out of the
    box to flash the latest firmware that I'll sell. I bought a spare as I like
    mine so much I'd be lost without it. However it's showing no signs of
    letting up despite daily use for more than 18 months. They also play AVIs
    from a USB stick, very nifty. misfitnz at that gmail place will get me if
    you're interested. We can discuss price etc....

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll
    be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.
     
    ~misfit~, Jul 23, 2009
    #4
  5. Nick Rennie

    Woger Guest

    On 23 Jul 2009 07:39:11 GMT, Mark C <> wrote:

    >"Nick Rennie" <> wrote in
    >news:h48rsn$la3$:
    >
    >> Do those cheap (eg: at DSE) that say they play AVIs play them
    >> OK? Any recomendations?

    >
    >I tested one (DSE ????) in-shop a year ago and it played most things
    >well (max 720 pixels wide, no HD).
    >
    >Perhaps download the DivX Test CD, and burn to DVD or CD:
    >http://divxtest.surdvd.com/What-is-DivxTest-Where-can-I-find.html
    >... then take it along and see if they will let you try it out?
    >
    >Mark




    Philips make a large range get one with the USB stick..
     
    Woger, Jul 23, 2009
    #5
  6. Nick Rennie

    KiwiBrian Guest

    Yesterday I bought a Samsung DVD-1080P9 from Noel Leeming for $199 as I
    wanted AVI/DivX capability and also USB input.
    At present it is playing AVIs OK from a pendrive, but does not recognize the
    EHD that I have burnt AVIs onto.
    Will report progress after further testing today (May even have to RTFM) but
    interested in comments on the unit but especially from anyone that can play
    AVIs from an EHD.

    "Nick Rennie" <> wrote in message
    news:h48rsn$la3$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Do those cheap (eg: at DSE) that say they play AVIs play them OK? Any
    > recomendations?
    >
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nick
    >
     
    KiwiBrian, Jul 23, 2009
    #6
  7. Nick Rennie

    Mark C Guest

    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in
    news:h49u37$9k3$:

    > Yesterday I bought a Samsung DVD-1080P9 from Noel Leeming for
    > $199 as I wanted AVI/DivX capability and also USB input.
    > At present it is playing AVIs OK from a pendrive, but does not
    > recognize the EHD that I have burnt AVIs onto.


    Some players will work with externally powered (wall-wart) EHD, but
    not those that need to be powered from the USB port.
    Most can only read FAT filesystems (no NTFS).

    Mark
     
    Mark C, Jul 24, 2009
    #7
  8. Nick Rennie

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    news:00224bff$0$29936$...
    > "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in
    > news:h49u37$9k3$:
    >
    >> Yesterday I bought a Samsung DVD-1080P9 from Noel Leeming for
    >> $199 as I wanted AVI/DivX capability and also USB input.
    >> At present it is playing AVIs OK from a pendrive, but does not
    >> recognize the EHD that I have burnt AVIs onto.

    >
    > Some players will work with externally powered (wall-wart) EHD, but
    > not those that need to be powered from the USB port.
    > Most can only read FAT filesystems (no NTFS).


    Thanks Mark.
    I had to reformat the externally powered 320GB EHD as FAT32, using a 3rd
    party application as per and from here -
    http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm which took less
    than 1 second, and then the Player could see AVIs which I had subsequently
    copied to the EHD.
    I am very pleased with my purchase and the outcome.
     
    KiwiBrian, Jul 24, 2009
    #8
  9. Nick Rennie

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs KiwiBrian wrote:
    > "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > news:00224bff$0$29936$...
    >> "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in
    >> news:h49u37$9k3$:
    >>
    >>> Yesterday I bought a Samsung DVD-1080P9 from Noel Leeming for
    >>> $199 as I wanted AVI/DivX capability and also USB input.
    >>> At present it is playing AVIs OK from a pendrive, but does not
    >>> recognize the EHD that I have burnt AVIs onto.

    >>
    >> Some players will work with externally powered (wall-wart) EHD, but
    >> not those that need to be powered from the USB port.
    >> Most can only read FAT filesystems (no NTFS).

    >
    > Thanks Mark.
    > I had to reformat the externally powered 320GB EHD as FAT32, using a
    > 3rd party application as per and from here -
    > http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm which took
    > less than 1 second, and then the Player could see AVIs which I had
    > subsequently copied to the EHD.
    > I am very pleased with my purchase and the outcome.


    Yep, the little Philips players that I use do that too. There's a NexStar
    USB - SATA dock sitting next to mine, works perfectly.
    --
    Shaun.

    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll
    be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.
     
    ~misfit~, Jul 24, 2009
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Scarab
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    3,560
    Matthew L. Martin
    Sep 25, 2003
  2. Gaetan Mailloux
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    962
    Jerry G.
    Dec 7, 2004
  3. Chief Tecumseh
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    3,633
    Alpha
    Feb 27, 2005
  4. jshock
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    28,379
    john12
    Sep 28, 2010
  5. oldman

    HD-DVD Players with shrunk DVD's

    oldman, Jan 14, 2007, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    526
    Bill's News
    Jan 14, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page