    a litle bit on my oldish samsung player - my Auriga plays them with no
    problem and my benq writer plays them also.

    Does any of this mean my Benq writer is at fault in any way?

    paora, Apr 26, 2005

  2. paora said the following on 26/04/2005 5:19 p.m.:
    > After praising my CHEAP Benq dvd writer I have discovered something
    > that may or may not be the fault of Benq writers.
    >
    > ie. it could just be because of crap players.
    >
    > My neighbour has a borrowed dvd player - 'yazuki or yazumi' or
    > something like that - probably some equally CHEAP warehouse brand.
    > It's a crap player that only plays zone 4 dvds - what a fucken stupid
    > idea that only a silly wanker could come up with - we get past zoned
    > dvds one way or another - why do the silly fucks bother!
    >
    > Anyway the dvds 'skip' a lot on this player and I noticed it happening
    > a litle bit on my oldish samsung player - my Auriga plays them with no
    > problem and my benq writer plays them also.
    >
    > Does any of this mean my Benq writer is at fault in any way?

    No in general, it is a hit and miss with domestic DVD
    players as to how well they work with the various media
    types burned on PCs.

    + r tends to be the least compatible in my emperichal tests.

    -r tends to be the most compatible.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Pictorial Amusement from the web at
    http://nzcollector.blogspot.com

    Collector»NZ, Apr 26, 2005

  3. paora

    Nova Guest

    paora wrote:
    > After praising my CHEAP Benq dvd writer I have discovered something
    > that may or may not be the fault of Benq writers.
    >
    > ie. it could just be because of crap players.
    >
    > My neighbour has a borrowed dvd player - 'yazuki or yazumi' or
    > something like that - probably some equally CHEAP warehouse brand.
    > It's a crap player that only plays zone 4 dvds - what a fucken stupid
    > idea that only a silly wanker could come up with - we get past zoned
    > dvds one way or another - why do the silly fucks bother!
    >
    > Anyway the dvds 'skip' a lot on this player and I noticed it happening
    > a litle bit on my oldish samsung player - my Auriga plays them with no
    > problem and my benq writer plays them also.
    >
    > Does any of this mean my Benq writer is at fault in any way?

    Well media plays a big role here, the quality of media is way more
    important here than just CD-R's etc.
    I am not sure what media you are using but try getting a few decent
    disc's (any with a code starting with TY are the best) and burning onto
    them and seeing it hat makes a difference in the standalone player.

    But I mean this is a wharehouse dvd player that we are talking about
    also, so its not exactly quality.. decent dvd players will buffer well
    ahead so it eliminates the chance of skipping, having said that i have a
    cheap mustek player from dse at home that doesnt have any problems
    playing burnt dvd's.

    Try burning at a low speed, 2x or 4x and see if that helps, you should
    get a higher quality burn .

    But there are some pretty big differences in the amount of errors
    writers generate but you might be able to minimize that with good media
    and a low speed burn. I wouldn't blame the writer yet :).

    You can check here for a for a list of DVD media that has the TY codes
    which are the best quality be aware if princo falsely using TY codes.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155431

    These brands are also near the top as far as quality goes.
    MXLRG01, MXLRG02 = Maxell = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
    MCC = Mitsubishi Chemicals = (-R)
    TDKG02 = TDK Corp = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
    TAIYOYUDEN or YUDEN = Taiyo Yuden = (-R)<--------------FUJIFILM (made in
    japan) (lots of fakes trying to cash in on good rep.)

    Nova, Apr 26, 2005
  4. paora

    Nova Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > paora said the following on 26/04/2005 5:19 p.m.:
    >
    >> After praising my CHEAP Benq dvd writer I have discovered something
    >> that may or may not be the fault of Benq writers.
    >>
    >> ie. it could just be because of crap players.
    >>
    >> My neighbour has a borrowed dvd player - 'yazuki or yazumi' or
    >> something like that - probably some equally CHEAP warehouse brand.
    >> It's a crap player that only plays zone 4 dvds - what a fucken stupid
    >> idea that only a silly wanker could come up with - we get past zoned
    >> dvds one way or another - why do the silly fucks bother!
    >>
    >> Anyway the dvds 'skip' a lot on this player and I noticed it happening
    >> a litle bit on my oldish samsung player - my Auriga plays them with no
    >> problem and my benq writer plays them also.
    >>
    >> Does any of this mean my Benq writer is at fault in any way?

    > No in general, it is a hit and miss with domestic DVD players as to how
    > well they work with the various media types burned on PCs.
    >
    > + r tends to be the least compatible in my emperichal tests.

    cdrinfo did a massive test on this and the difference over a huge amount
    of standalone players tested was like 3% of something near that.. but
    yes -r was slightly more compatible. But any _new_ players coming out
    shouldn't have a problem with either format now, that was more with
    older standalone players.

    Nova, Apr 26, 2005
  5. paora

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 05:19:33 GMT, (paora) wrote:

    >After praising my CHEAP Benq dvd writer I have discovered something
    >that may or may not be the fault of Benq writers.
    >
    >ie. it could just be because of crap players.
    >
    >My neighbour has a borrowed dvd player - 'yazuki or yazumi' or
    >something like that - probably some equally CHEAP warehouse brand.
    >It's a crap player that only plays zone 4 dvds - what a fucken stupid
    >idea that only a silly wanker could come up with - we get past zoned
    >dvds one way or another - why do the silly fucks bother!

    Yukai? I have one of these beasts, and it can be made region free. Mine plays +
    & - without a hitch.

    Invisible, Apr 26, 2005
  6. paora

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 05:19:33 GMT, (paora) wrote:

    >After praising my CHEAP Benq dvd writer I have discovered something
    >that may or may not be the fault of Benq writers.
    >
    >ie. it could just be because of crap players.
    >
    >My neighbour has a borrowed dvd player - 'yazuki or yazumi' or
    >something like that - probably some equally CHEAP warehouse brand.
    >It's a crap player that only plays zone 4 dvds - what a fucken stupid
    >idea that only a silly wanker could come up with - we get past zoned
    >dvds one way or another - why do the silly fucks bother!
    >
    >Anyway the dvds 'skip' a lot on this player and I noticed it happening
    >a litle bit on my oldish samsung player - my Auriga plays them with no
    >problem and my benq writer plays them also.
    >
    >Does any of this mean my Benq writer is at fault in any way?

    No. Sounds like a Countdown brand. Surprised it is zone-locked.
    Question of media compatibility. I had some Laser DVD-R (SKC) discs
    that would pause and whart a lot on my Samsung, but no trouble with
    anything else. Burning at slowest possible speed can help in some
    cases.

    GraB, Apr 26, 2005
  7. paora

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "paora" <> wrote in message

    > After praising my CHEAP Benq dvd writer I have discovered something
    > that may or may not be the fault of Benq writers.
    >
    > ie. it could just be because of crap players.
    >
    > My neighbour has a borrowed dvd player - 'yazuki or yazumi' or
    > something like that - probably some equally CHEAP warehouse brand.
    > It's a crap player that only plays zone 4 dvds - what a fucken stupid
    > idea that only a silly wanker could come up with - we get past zoned
    > dvds one way or another - why do the silly fucks bother!
    >
    > Anyway the dvds 'skip' a lot on this player and I noticed it happening
    > a litle bit on my oldish samsung player - my Auriga plays them with no
    > problem and my benq writer plays them also.
    >
    > Does any of this mean my Benq writer is at fault in any way?

    Upgrade your Benq to the latest firmware I think it offers better
    compatibilty with some disks?

    Craig Sutton, Apr 26, 2005
  8. On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 05:19:33 GMT, (paora) wrote:

    >After praising my CHEAP Benq dvd writer I have discovered something
    >that may or may not be the fault of Benq writers.
    >
    >ie. it could just be because of crap players.
    >
    >My neighbour has a borrowed dvd player - 'yazuki or yazumi' or
    >something like that - probably some equally CHEAP warehouse brand.
    >It's a crap player that only plays zone 4 dvds - what a fucken stupid
    >idea that only a silly wanker could come up with - we get past zoned
    >dvds one way or another - why do the silly fucks bother!
    >
    >Anyway the dvds 'skip' a lot on this player and I noticed it happening
    >a litle bit on my oldish samsung player - my Auriga plays them with no
    >problem and my benq writer plays them also.
    >
    >Does any of this mean my Benq writer is at fault in any way?

    Well try reading some reviews at sites and see if they test the error
    rate

    I looked at a cheap Samsung and also Liteon and the errors they
    produced made their disks almost unreadable

    FreedomChooser, Apr 26, 2005
  9. paora

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:48:58 +1200, FreedomChooser
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 05:19:33 GMT, (paora) wrote:
    >

    >>After praising my CHEAP Benq dvd writer I have discovered something
    >>that may or may not be the fault of Benq writers.
    >>
    >>ie. it could just be because of crap players.
    >>
    >>My neighbour has a borrowed dvd player - 'yazuki or yazumi' or
    >>something like that - probably some equally CHEAP warehouse brand.
    >>It's a crap player that only plays zone 4 dvds - what a fucken stupid
    >>idea that only a silly wanker could come up with - we get past zoned
    >>dvds one way or another - why do the silly fucks bother!
    >>
    >>Anyway the dvds 'skip' a lot on this player and I noticed it happening
    >>a litle bit on my oldish samsung player - my Auriga plays them with no
    >>problem and my benq writer plays them also.
    >>
    >>Does any of this mean my Benq writer is at fault in any way?

    >Well try reading some reviews at sites and see if they test the error
    >rate
    >
    >I looked at a cheap Samsung and also Liteon and the errors they
    >produced made their disks almost unreadable

    That would be with certain discs. My Lite-On has been reliable,
    producing discs that can be read on any other player, except when
    using the SKC-made Laser DVD-R discs but it was only my Samsung player
    that faulted on them, while other players, including a cheapie
    Magnavox, played them OK. I had my first coaster recently (out of
    approx 75) which I put down to defective disc, with 66.58% being
    unreadable. Visible banding could be seen on that disc.

    GraB, Apr 26, 2005
  10. paora

    Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > paora said the following on 26/04/2005 5:19 p.m.:
    > > After praising my CHEAP Benq dvd writer I have discovered something
    > > that may or may not be the fault of Benq writers.
    > >
    > > ie. it could just be because of crap players.
    > >
    > > My neighbour has a borrowed dvd player - 'yazuki or yazumi' or
    > > something like that - probably some equally CHEAP warehouse brand.
    > > It's a crap player that only plays zone 4 dvds - what a fucken

    stupid
    > > idea that only a silly wanker could come up with - we get past

    zoned
    > > dvds one way or another - why do the silly fucks bother!
    > >
    > > Anyway the dvds 'skip' a lot on this player and I noticed it

    happening
    > > a litle bit on my oldish samsung player - my Auriga plays them with

    no
    > > problem and my benq writer plays them also.
    > >
    > > Does any of this mean my Benq writer is at fault in any way?

    > No in general, it is a hit and miss with domestic DVD
    > players as to how well they work with the various media
    > types burned on PCs.
    >
    > + r tends to be the least compatible in my emperichal tests.
    >
    > -r tends to be the most compatible.

    For best compatibility of all, using the Benq, you can set the booktype
    so a dvd+r appears as dvd-rom.

    , Apr 26, 2005
  11. paora

    Nova Guest

    wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >>paora said the following on 26/04/2005 5:19 p.m.:
    >>
    >>>After praising my CHEAP Benq dvd writer I have discovered something
    >>>that may or may not be the fault of Benq writers.
    >>>
    >>>ie. it could just be because of crap players.
    >>>
    >>>My neighbour has a borrowed dvd player - 'yazuki or yazumi' or
    >>>something like that - probably some equally CHEAP warehouse brand.
    >>>It's a crap player that only plays zone 4 dvds - what a fucken

    > stupid
    >
    >>>idea that only a silly wanker could come up with - we get past

    > zoned
    >
    >>>dvds one way or another - why do the silly fucks bother!
    >>>
    >>>Anyway the dvds 'skip' a lot on this player and I noticed it

    > happening
    >
    >>>a litle bit on my oldish samsung player - my Auriga plays them with

    > no
    >
    >>>problem and my benq writer plays them also.
    >>>
    >>>Does any of this mean my Benq writer is at fault in any way?

    >>No in general, it is a hit and miss with domestic DVD
    >>players as to how well they work with the various media
    >>types burned on PCs.
    >>
    >>+ r tends to be the least compatible in my emperichal tests.
    >>
    >>-r tends to be the most compatible.
    >>

    > For best compatibility of all, using the Benq, you can set the booktype
    > so a dvd+r appears as dvd-rom.

    that's not only benq that can do that.

    Nova, Apr 26, 2005