    burner, one that I won't have to return to vendor next day because of
    bizarre failures. Thanks, all ...

    RobF

    RobF, Apr 24, 2007

  2. RobF

    def456 Guest

    "RobF" <r_fox24@co_x.net> wrote in message
    news:5IsXh.205409$...
    > In other groups, grumblings and fury about several brands, notably Sony,
    > failing to run a dvd disk - some business about (cc), I mean copyright,
    > issues. Please recommend a dvd player, or combo cd reader, burner, dvd
    > burner, one that I won't have to return to vendor next day because of
    > bizarre failures. Thanks, all ...

    Standalone DVD player - get a $50 bill out of your billfold. That is the
    minimum you should pay. Forget the cheaper stuff. Just make sure it has the
    features and connections you want. For example I recently bought a Sony from
    their website which said it had a S-Video connection, but when I received
    it, it had none. That was an error on their website. I had to return it, and
    probably wouldn't buy another Sony. I'm using a 3-year old Emerson DVD
    player I got from Walmart for about $60, works fine. Be sure to check for
    good strong sound with your system. Some DVD players have it, some don't.
    You really can't tell til you try it, so you're better off buying locally
    with a return guarantee. I had to return 3-4 different brands/models before
    I settled on the Emerson. You can't do that by mail order.

    Combo players - forget about it. Get standalone everything.

    Internal DVD burner - I believe the latest 18X-20X DVD burners from LG and
    Lite-on are OK. Lite-on is faster; LG is quieter. I've been using a LG for a
    year with very few problems. Occasionally it has trouble reading a
    commercial movie rental DVD, which is usually solved by cleaning the DVD.
    Also sometimes a marginal disc will be recognized eventually after many
    tries and some playing around. I have about a 95%+ success rate reading and
    writing DVDs with my LG model. I may even stop verifying burned DVDs because
    they always verify OK. Errors would generally have caused the burning
    process to stop midway, and I've only had that happen once (cause unknown).

    def456, Apr 26, 2007

  3. RobF

    RobF Guest

    Many thanks, def, good info and advice.