DVD Player Recommendation: Sony ES, Yamaha, Denon, or other?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Pred02, Oct 10, 2005.

  1. Pred02

    Pred02 Guest

    Hi,

    We have been using the Sony DVP S7700 which we bought in 1999 as the
    DVD player for our system. This fall we plan on upgrading to a
    Panasonic 50' plasma screen. When we bought the S7700, it was one of
    the reference players out there - indeed it was very good, much better
    compared to the consumer-grade DVD panasonic player we first owned.
    However, as S7700 does not have progressive output, and with plasma
    HDTV-ready TV, I understanding we need progressive scan to get the
    better picture quality. Thus, we are ready to upgrade when we buy the
    TV.

    Looking a bit on the net, we found a couple of models that would suit
    our needs and budget. More specifically, the budget it around 500 USD,
    maybe a little more.

    In this price range, I first looked at the Sony ES line, more
    specifically the follow up reference to what we currently own: Sony
    DVP-NS999ES.

    In the similar price range I saw the Yamaha DVD-S2500, and the Denon
    DVD-2910B. The Denon DVD-2910 also hasa HDMI output, which I am not
    sure if it makes any difference over composite video, but it also
    claims to offer 720p and 1080i output. I know that the plasma screen
    does offer this mode.

    Given the price range and the choices, which DVD player would you
    recommend? Our main concern is the picture quality, and secondly audio
    quality (2-channel). In addition, it would be nice if there was a
    modification for these players to play PAL/region free discs as we have
    quiet a few DVDs from Europe that we currently play on an cheap
    region-free divx/dvd player from philips.

    Kind regards,
    george

    Pred02, Oct 10, 2005

  2. Pred02

    TB Guest

    "Pred02" wrote:

    (snip)

    > In the similar price range I saw the Yamaha DVD-S2500, and the Denon
    > DVD-2910B. The Denon DVD-2910 also hasa HDMI output, which I am not
    > sure if it makes any difference over composite video, but it also
    > claims to offer 720p and 1080i output. I know that the plasma screen
    > does offer this mode.

    I have the Denon 3910 which is the next model up from the 2910. IMO, it's
    the best player for the money. You can output both NTSC as well as PAL video
    without an external decoder, the picture and audio is reference quality and
    the player is easily region-free hackable with a software flash upgrade. It
    has a *lot* of features for tweaking and storing several different video
    settings for various kinds of dvds.

    I have A/B'd the 2910, 3910 and the 5910 and there's a minor but noticeable
    difference in the video and audio quality (especially on SACDs) between the
    2910 and 3910 but the 2910 is still an excellent player that stands far
    above most other players in the same price range. The top of the line 5910
    is almost double the price of the 3910 and I honestly didn't see any
    difference between it and the 3910.

    The only complaint I could say is that the player is slow to load and start
    discs, but the reason is so it buffers a bigger then most players amount of
    data which means layer changes are far more smooth then just about any other
    player I've seen. IMO, the 3910 should be the last dvd player I'll ever buy
    until whatever HiDef format has supplanted traditional dvds.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 11, 2005

  3. Pred02

    Pred02 Guest

    I have seen the 3910, and it is a great DVD player, but unfortunantely
    it cannot be found for less than 1000. I will also look into the
    Pioneer Elite Avi49 player, it can be found for about 700 USD, which
    should fit the bill between the 3910 and 3910.

    I realized that the Sony just came out with a new flagship player in
    the ES line that has DVI and upscaling, but it cannot be found under
    1000. No wonder the former champ, NS999ES is only 500-600 USD.

    If there are any other player recommendations that are 500-700 that fir
    the bill I appreciate it.

    Pred02, Oct 11, 2005
  4. Pred02

    TB Guest

    "Pred02" wrote:

    >I have seen the 3910, and it is a great DVD player, but unfortunantely
    > it cannot be found for less than 1000. I will also look into the
    > Pioneer Elite Avi49 player, it can be found for about 700 USD, which
    > should fit the bill between the 3910 and 3910.

    I suggest doing some serious shopping if you are on the fence about that
    player due to the price. I bought mine for just over $750.00 about a year
    ago and it was brand new, not B stock or any sort of open box or demo.

    > I realized that the Sony just came out with a new flagship player in
    > the ES line that has DVI and upscaling, but it cannot be found under
    > 1000. No wonder the former champ, NS999ES is only 500-600 USD.
    >
    > If there are any other player recommendations that are 500-700 that fir
    > the bill I appreciate it.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 12, 2005
  5. Pred02

    Dan Guest

    On 10/12/2005 12:24 AM, TB wrote:
    > "Pred02" wrote:
    >
    >> I have seen the 3910, and it is a great DVD player, but unfortunantely
    >> it cannot be found for less than 1000. I will also look into the
    >> Pioneer Elite Avi49 player, it can be found for about 700 USD, which
    >> should fit the bill between the 3910 and 3910.

    > I suggest doing some serious shopping if you are on the fence about that
    > player due to the price. I bought mine for just over $750.00 about a year
    > ago and it was brand new, not B stock or any sort of open box or demo.
    >
    >> I realized that the Sony just came out with a new flagship player in
    >> the ES line that has DVI and upscaling, but it cannot be found under
    >> 1000. No wonder the former champ, NS999ES is only 500-600 USD.
    >>
    >> If there are any other player recommendations that are 500-700 that fir
    >> the bill I appreciate it.

    > T.B.

    Why pay a lot when HDVD and Blue Ray are around the corner?

    Dan, Oct 12, 2005
  6. Pred02

    Biz Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > Why pay a lot when HDVD and Blue Ray are around the corner?

    Around teh corner is a pretty loose term. It in all likelihood will be
    several years b4 you can walk into a Blockbuster for a Hi-Def rental, or
    BB/CC to buy one. Thats a long time to wait when you could be enjoying one
    of the many great players available today

    Biz, Oct 12, 2005
  7. Biz wrote:
    > "Dan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Why pay a lot when HDVD and Blue Ray are around the corner?

    > Around teh corner is a pretty loose term. It in all likelihood will be
    > several years b4 you can walk into a Blockbuster for a Hi-Def rental, or
    > BB/CC to buy one. Thats a long time to wait when you could be enjoying one
    > of the many great players available today

    Years? As bad as this two format situation is, I think years is
    excessively pessemistic.

    --
    Matthew <mlmartin@ .com> (fill in the blank with user name)

    "All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
    people" -- Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936)

    Matthew L. Martin, Oct 12, 2005
  8. Pred02

    TB Guest

    "Matthew L. Martin" wrote:

    > Biz wrote:
    >> "Dan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Why pay a lot when HDVD and Blue Ray are around the corner?

    >> Around teh corner is a pretty loose term. It in all likelihood will be
    >> several years b4 you can walk into a Blockbuster for a Hi-Def rental, or
    >> BB/CC to buy one. Thats a long time to wait when you could be enjoying
    >> one
    >> of the many great players available today

    > Years? As bad as this two format situation is, I think years is
    > excessively pessemistic.

    Well, it's already been over a year since I bought what I figure should be
    my last traditional dvd player with no HiDef content or player in sight.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 12, 2005
  9. Pred02

    Biz Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > "Matthew L. Martin" wrote:
    >
    > > Biz wrote:
    > >> "Dan" <> wrote in message

    > >> Around teh corner is a pretty loose term. It in all likelihood will be
    > >> several years b4 you can walk into a Blockbuster for a Hi-Def rental,

    or
    > >> BB/CC to buy one. Thats a long time to wait when you could be enjoying
    > >> one
    > >> of the many great players available today

    > > Years? As bad as this two format situation is, I think years is
    > > excessively pessemistic.

    > Well, it's already been over a year since I bought what I figure should be
    > my last traditional dvd player with no HiDef content or player in sight.
    >
    > T.B.

    Exactly, we're already a year or so into this waiting for HD/Blu-Ray right
    around the corner BS already. I notice MLM didnt try to put any alternative
    time frame in place outside of disagreeing with mine...I think 2-3 years is
    just about right, meaning we now have 1-2 years b4 you'll see the tiels at
    Blockbuster/Hollywood/etc.. or for sale in any semblence at big retailers...

    Biz, Oct 12, 2005
  10. Biz wrote:
    > "TB" <> wrote in message

    > or

    >>>Years? As bad as this two format situation is, I think years is
    >>>excessively pessemistic.

    >>Well, it's already been over a year since I bought what I figure should be
    >>my last traditional dvd player with no HiDef content or player in sight.
    >>
    >>T.B.
    >>

    > Exactly, we're already a year or so into this waiting for HD/Blu-Ray right
    > around the corner BS already. I notice MLM didnt try to put any alternative
    > time frame in place outside of disagreeing with mine...I think 2-3 years is
    > just about right, meaning we now have 1-2 years b4 you'll see the tiels at
    > Blockbuster/Hollywood/etc.. or for sale in any semblence at big retailers...

    I didn't try to name a time frame as I have no insider information. I do
    disagree that "years" is likely. The electronics makers want the next
    generation very badly since there is little or no money to be made in
    the commodity DVD player market. The studios have also observed that DVD
    is their goose, laying golden eggs all over the planet. They want the
    next generation because they think they will make even _more_ when they
    start releasing everything all over again.

    If you insist that I guess: they have all been down this road before
    (1995-1997, the original DVD delay) I see no reason that it will take
    any longer this time than last. Check back in a year.

    Matthew L. Martin, Oct 12, 2005
  11. Pred02

    Ritz Guest

    Matthew L. Martin wrote:

    > I didn't try to name a time frame as I have no insider information. I do
    > disagree that "years" is likely. The electronics makers want the next
    > generation very badly since there is little or no money to be made in
    > the commodity DVD player market. The studios have also observed that DVD
    > is their goose, laying golden eggs all over the planet. They want the
    > next generation because they think they will make even _more_ when they
    > start releasing everything all over again.
    >
    > If you insist that I guess: they have all been down this road before
    > (1995-1997, the original DVD delay) I see no reason that it will take
    > any longer this time than last. Check back in a year.

    I think years is definitely an accurate timeframe. Nobody is going to
    buy into HD DVD's until the format war is settled. That confusion leads
    to consumers having a "wait and see" attitude. With few players in
    the marketplace (other than in computers and gaming consoles) the
    studios have little incentive to release content. Just look at the
    extremely limited catalog of SACD and DVD-A titles available and those
    formats have been available in "commodity" players for years. I'd be
    pretty shocked if more than a sprinkling of HD titles were available in
    a place like Blockbuster before 2008/2009. And even then, the number of
    available titles will continue to be dwarfed by the "plain old DVD" for
    a long time to come.

    That said...

    On the cheap end, I like the Samsung HD841/950/971. On the expensive
    end, it's tough to beat the Denon 2910/3910/5910.

    Cheers,

    Ritz, Oct 12, 2005
  12. Pred02

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote:

    > Years? As bad as this two format situation is, I think years is
    > excessively pessemistic.

    *laughs* He's being optimistic! If you want an idea of how much this
    format war could slow down acceptance, consider in part that due to the
    Betamax vs. VHS format war, it took VHS over 15 years(!) to achieve the
    same penetration rate that DVD did in just 5 years! And then of course
    you've got the whole HDTV issue. A good 90% of consumers using DVD right
    now will have to purchase an HDTV of some sort before "HD DVD" is even a
    viable option.

    BTW, it took Blockbuster a little over 3 years to introduce DVDs into
    their stores. Best Buy was faster, but even they took some time with it.
    Circuit City had that Divx shit all over their stores until it died. And
    don't even get me started on Wal-Mart's ULTRA SLOW ASS acceptance of DVD.

    So with a looming format war, indeed it will be years before you see any
    HD format get even close to where DVD is RIGHT NOW.

    Black Locust, Oct 13, 2005
  13. Pred02

    Ken Guest

    Hello.

    I just burned a video onto a Memorex DVD+R double layer DVD and
    unfortunately it wouldn't load on my Denon 2910. It did work on my
    cheap sony.

    I am no expert here so I am hoping you might have an answer. Any
    thoughts?

    Thanks

    Ken

    Ken, Oct 20, 2005
  14. Pred02

    Scott Dorsey Guest

    Ken <> wrote:

    >I just burned a video onto a Memorex DVD+R double layer DVD and
    >unfortunately it wouldn't load on my Denon 2910. It did work on my
    >cheap sony.
    >
    >I am no expert here so I am hoping you might have an answer. Any
    >thoughts?

    If you have no way to measure error rate or eye pattern S/N, just try
    different blanks and different speeds until you get the best compatibility
    you can. Without instrumentation it is a matter of shooting in the dark.
    But, blanks are cheap.
    --scott

    Scott Dorsey, Oct 20, 2005
  15. Pred02

    Ken Guest

    Thanks Scott. Unfortunately at $20 for a 3 pack of double layer disks
    I think I'm going to make it the problem of the place I bought this
    from.

    Thanks

    Ken

    Ken, Oct 21, 2005
  16. Pred02

    Ritz Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > Thanks Scott. Unfortunately at $20 for a 3 pack of double layer disks
    > I think I'm going to make it the problem of the place I bought this
    > from.

    According to Denon, it should support that media type. I'm not sure
    what program you used to create your DVD, but you might want to try that
    disc in another "known good" player and see if it plays there before
    howling at your dealer.

    Cheers,

    Ritz, Oct 21, 2005