DVD Player Recommendation: Sony ES, Yamaha, Denon, or other?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Pred02, Oct 10, 2005.

  1. Pred02

    Pred02 Guest

    Hi,

    We have been using the Sony DVP S7700 which we bought in 1999 as the
    DVD player for our system. This fall we plan on upgrading to a
    Panasonic 50' plasma screen. When we bought the S7700, it was one of
    the reference players out there - indeed it was very good, much better
    compared to the consumer-grade DVD panasonic player we first owned.
    However, as S7700 does not have progressive output, and with plasma
    HDTV-ready TV, I understanding we need progressive scan to get the
    better picture quality. Thus, we are ready to upgrade when we buy the
    TV.

    Looking a bit on the net, we found a couple of models that would suit
    our needs and budget. More specifically, the budget it around 500 USD,
    maybe a little more.

    In this price range, I first looked at the Sony ES line, more
    specifically the follow up reference to what we currently own: Sony
    DVP-NS999ES.

    In the similar price range I saw the Yamaha DVD-S2500, and the Denon
    DVD-2910B. The Denon DVD-2910 also hasa HDMI output, which I am not
    sure if it makes any difference over composite video, but it also
    claims to offer 720p and 1080i output. I know that the plasma screen
    does offer this mode.

    Given the price range and the choices, which DVD player would you
    recommend? Our main concern is the picture quality, and secondly audio
    quality (2-channel).

    Kind regards,
    george

    Pred02, Oct 10, 2005

  2. Pred02

    Tai Fu Guest

    I was under the impression that the DVD players that costs very little in
    Taiwan has the best compatibility, like NTSC/PAL, all region out of the box.
    The bigger brands never have such feature. I do have a question though, can
    any DVD player play SACD or do they require a special player? can a computer
    DVD drive read SACD?

    --
    TAI FU
    http://creationism.dyndns.org/

    Tai Fu, Oct 11, 2005

  3. Pred02

    TB Guest

    "Tai Fu"wrote:

    >I was under the impression that the DVD players that costs very little in
    > Taiwan has the best compatibility, like NTSC/PAL, all region out of the
    > box.
    > The bigger brands never have such feature. I do have a question though,
    > can
    > any DVD player play SACD or do they require a special player? can a
    > computer
    > DVD drive read SACD?

    PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.

    And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc can
    play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players for
    reliabilty or playback quality.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 11, 2005
  4. Pred02

    Khee Mao Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > "Tai Fu"wrote:

    > PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.
    >
    > And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc can
    > play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players for
    > reliabilty or playback quality.
    >
    > T.B.

    is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

    Khee Mao, Oct 12, 2005
  5. Pred02

    ardz Guest

    "Khee Mao" <> wrote in message

    > "TB" <> wrote in message
    > > "Tai Fu"wrote:

    > > PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.
    > >
    > > And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc

    can
    > > play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players for
    > > reliabilty or playback quality.
    > >
    > > T.B.
    > >

    > is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

    Can you give a link to this comparison?

    ardz, Oct 12, 2005
  6. > is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

    By who, on what criteria... Strike that, I don't think I need to know.

    Joe Kesselman, Oct 12, 2005
  7. Pred02

    TB Guest

    "Khee Mao" wrote:>>

    >> PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.
    >>
    >> And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc
    >> can play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players
    >> for reliabilty or playback quality.
    >>
    >> T.B.
    >>

    > is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

    Only in picture quality for the DVI output. It doesn't even support
    progressive scan output.

    Here's a simple review for those interested in this player:

    http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdplayerrecorderreviews/gr/oppo971short.htm

    And a lond running thread about it in AC review:

    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226761&page=1&pp=15

    It has exceptional video quality but it falls far short of most of the other
    features a player like the Denon 5910 offers. Also, there's some display
    issues with PAL format dvds that the manufacturer has been struggling to fix
    with firmware upgrades. For under 200 bucks it's a good deal but especially
    in the audio department, it falls far short of any sort of real reference
    player. Another complaint (common to many cheaply built dvd players) is that
    they aren't built to last.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 12, 2005
  8. Pred02

    Khee Mao Guest

    "ardz" <> wrote in message

    > "Khee Mao" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "TB" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Tai Fu"wrote:

    >> > PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.
    >> >
    >> > And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc

    > can
    >> > play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players
    >> > for
    >> > reliabilty or playback quality.
    >> >
    >> > T.B.
    >> >

    >> is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?
    >>

    > Can you give a link to this comparison?

    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

    you're welcome

    Khee Mao, Oct 12, 2005
  9. Pred02

    Khee Mao Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > "Khee Mao" wrote:>>
    >
    >>> PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.
    >>>
    >>> And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc
    >>> can play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players
    >>> for reliabilty or playback quality.
    >>>
    >>> T.B.
    >>>

    >> is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

    > Only in picture quality for the DVI output. It doesn't even support
    > progressive scan output.

    <snip>

    oh, 720p isn't progressive?

    wake up.

    Khee Mao, Oct 12, 2005
  10. Pred02

    Biz Guest

    "Khee Mao" <> wrote in message

    > "ardz" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Khee Mao" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "TB" <> wrote in message

    etc
    > > can

    > >> is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?
    > >>

    > > Can you give a link to this comparison?

    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

    > you're welcome

    Thats not what those rankings mean. It just means that based on the given
    tests they perform, which have nothing to do with PQ or SQ, the Oppo scored
    well. If you bothered to read the actual reviews you would see that they
    said there is no comparison in quality between those 2 players at all...

    Biz, Oct 13, 2005
  11. Pred02

    TB Guest

    "Khee Mao" wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > oh, 720p isn't progressive?
    >
    > wake up.

    It doesn't support PS via component output.

    BTW, are you a shill for Oppo by any chance?

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 13, 2005
  12. Pred02

    Khee Mao Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message news:_Zi3f.45$W%...
    > http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all
    >>

    >> you're welcome
    >>

    > Thats not what those rankings mean. It just means that based on the given
    > tests they perform, which have nothing to do with PQ or SQ, the Oppo scored
    > well. If you bothered to read the actual reviews you would see that they
    > said there is no comparison in quality between those 2 players at all...

    oh really? chroma, yc, cropping, and btb have nothing to do with pq? hello. if that's not clear enough, maybe you should have actually read the review, as you suggested, which stated:

    If you are in the market for a budget DVD player, with DVI output, and which has exceptional video performance, the 971H definitely meets those criteria. This player passes below-black, has no pixel cropping, and there are no signs of Y/C delay. I personally can't wait to see what Oppo has in store for us next.

    did you note the part about "exceptional video performance"?

    and can you point me to the review that claims there is no quality comparison between the two?

    Khee Mao, Oct 13, 2005
  13. Pred02

    Khee Mao Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > "Khee Mao" wrote:
    >
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> oh, 720p isn't progressive?
    >>
    >> wake up.

    > It doesn't support PS via component output.
    >
    > BTW, are you a shill for Oppo by any chance?
    >
    > T.B.

    it's really unfortunate that your old jalopy doesn't have DVI or HDMI ins if
    you're so concerned with picture quality...

    Khee Mao, Oct 13, 2005
  14. Pred02

    TB Guest

    "Khee Mao" wrote:

    > "TB" <> wrote in message
    >> "Khee Mao" wrote:
    >>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> oh, 720p isn't progressive?
    >>>
    >>> wake up.

    >> It doesn't support PS via component output.
    >>
    >> BTW, are you a shill for Oppo by any chance?
    >>
    >> T.B.
    >>

    > it's really unfortunate that your old jalopy doesn't have DVI or HDMI ins
    > if you're so concerned with picture quality...

    Translation: "Yes, I shill for Oppo, thank you very much."

    BTW idiot. Who said my "old jalopy" didn't have DVI or HDMI inputs? But
    we're not talking about what *I* have, right?

    The low end market this player is aimed at is comprised of a vast majority
    of users who still have monitors with progressive scan via componant out/in.
    A stupid shortcut to save a few bucks by Oppo.

    You seem intent on dodging the simple fact that aside from what is described
    as excellent image quality that *compares* with a Denon 5910, this player
    really doesn't come near the quality and features of a dvd player of the
    caliber of the 5910 or even lesser players like the Pioneer Elite models.
    Why does it down convert audio instead of passing a full bitrate signal for
    hi end audio formats? Why does it have the "micro blocking" bug? Why all the
    firmware upgrades?

    As I said, it's a nice player for 200 bucks but it's certainly not any sort
    of reference quality dvd player. Unless of course your an Oppo salesman
    trying to pawn it off on a bunch of cheap rubes.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 13, 2005
  15. In article <2Fl3f.418$>,
    says...

    > > "TB" <> wrote in message

    > The low end market this player is aimed at is comprised of a vast majority
    > of users who still have monitors with progressive scan via componant out/in.
    > A stupid shortcut to save a few bucks by Oppo.
    > T.B.

    T.B.

    DVDtalk - DVD Player Review - Oppo OPDV971H

    http://www.dvdtalk.com/features/004343.html

    "It must be noted that the DV971H is designed primarily for viewers using
    HDTV displays with a direct-digital DVI (or the compatible HDMI format)
    connections. Although the player also has the standard composite, S-video,
    and component video analog connections, its best performance comes from DVI.

    The unit will not output either upscaled nor even progressive scan video
    from its component connection. As such, if you need a progressive or
    upscaling component video DVD player, the DV971H is not for you."

    My comment - with the rapidly increasing selection of HDTVs with DVI - HDMI
    connectors hovering in the USD $500-600 range, the price point of this DVD
    player makes sense, and those with less elaborate home theater systems (AND
    HDTV with DVI) would do well to look at this player.

    David

    --
    From David Troxell - Product Scope 32 PRO - Encourager Software
    Email - mailto:ESwPE_Remove_@_Me_encouragersoftware.com

    David Troxell - Encourager Software, Oct 13, 2005
  16. Pred02

    Ritz Guest

    TB wrote:
    > "Khee Mao" wrote:
    >

    >><snip>
    >>
    >>oh, 720p isn't progressive?
    >>
    >>wake up.

    > It doesn't support PS via component output.

    A lot of players only support higher res progressive output through the
    DVI or HDMI interface.

    > BTW, are you a shill for Oppo by any chance?

    Nope. :cool:

    Cheers,

    Ritz, Oct 13, 2005
  17. Pred02

    Khee Mao Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > "Khee Mao" wrote:

    > Translation: "Yes, I shill for Oppo, thank you very much."
    >
    > BTW idiot. Who said my "old jalopy" didn't have DVI or HDMI inputs? But
    > we're not talking about what *I* have, right?
    >
    > The low end market this player is aimed at is comprised of a vast majority
    > of users who still have monitors with progressive scan via componant
    > out/in. A stupid shortcut to save a few bucks by Oppo.
    >
    > You seem intent on dodging the simple fact that aside from what is
    > described as excellent image quality that *compares* with a Denon 5910,
    > this player really doesn't come near the quality and features of a dvd
    > player of the caliber of the 5910 or even lesser players like the Pioneer
    > Elite models. Why does it down convert audio instead of passing a full
    > bitrate signal for hi end audio formats? Why does it have the "micro
    > blocking" bug? Why all the firmware upgrades?
    >
    > As I said, it's a nice player for 200 bucks but it's certainly not any
    > sort of reference quality dvd player. Unless of course your an Oppo
    > salesman trying to pawn it off on a bunch of cheap rubes.
    >
    > T.B.

    dude. can you be any more stupid? a LOT of "high-end" players including
    your beloved denon 5900 and 3910 use the Faroudja 2310 chip, i.e. they
    MACROBLOCK you knuckle dragging babboon. damn, you're stupid. and you try
    to knock Oppo for releasing firmware updates when this is common practice in
    the industry? maybe you're a shill for Denon? or just an idiot that would
    pay $3500 for a "high-end" player that also macroblocks and will be obsolete
    in less than a year when the HD drives become available.

    can your Denon play mpeg4? divx? xvid? mp3? (s)vcd? cd+g? HDCD? kodak
    picture CDs/jpegs? do your Denons (other than 5910) output a better picture
    than this $200 wunderkind? no. they can not, as evidenced by me and the
    long list of PROFESSIONAL TESTERS WHO POSTED CERTIFIABLE RESULTS ON EACH
    DRIVE you mullet headed hayseed.

    Khee Mao, Oct 13, 2005
  18. Pred02

    TB Guest

    "Khee Mao" babbled:

    > dude. can you be any more stupid? a LOT of "high-end" players including
    > your beloved denon 5900 and 3910 use the Faroudja 2310 chip, i.e. they
    > MACROBLOCK you knuckle dragging babboon. damn, you're stupid. and you
    > try to knock Oppo for releasing firmware updates when this is common
    > practice in the industry? maybe you're a shill for Denon? or just an
    > idiot that would pay $3500 for a "high-end" player that also macroblocks
    > and will be obsolete in less than a year when the HD drives become
    > available.

    Duuueeeeede! LOL! Here comes the meltdown!

    You obviously don't have a clue as to what you're ranting about. Denon for
    one has overcome the microblocking issue over a year ago. BTW, I paid
    $700.00 for my player brand new.

    > can your Denon play mpeg4? Yes divx? Yes xvid? mp3? Yes (s)vcd? Yes
    > cd+g? Yes HDCD? Yes kodak picture CDs/jpegs? Yes. do your Denons (other
    > than 5910) output a better picture than this $200 wunderkind? (of course
    > they do). they can not, as evidenced by me and the long list of
    > PROFESSIONAL TESTERS WHO POSTED CERTIFIABLE RESULTS ON EACH DRIVE you
    > mullet headed hayseed.

    "- as evidenced by me." HA! Time to break out the wading boots, the shit's
    getting deep.

    BTW, can your precious Oppo play SACDs? no. Does it pass through true DTS
    audio at 24/96? no. About the only thing you can say "yes" to is the fact a
    strong breeze will blow it off a counter!

    Maybe you should think about having that big coconut rolling around on your
    shoulders tested for a pulse, "dude."

    Too funny.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 14, 2005
  19. Pred02

    Khee Mao Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > You obviously don't have a clue as to what you're ranting about. Denon for
    > one has overcome the microblocking issue over a year ago. BTW, I paid
    > $700.00 for my player brand new.

    dude. first off, it's "MACROblocking". repeated incorrect use of
    terminology equates to you being a dumb ass, as if that wasn't clear enough
    already. secondly, if it's using the Faroudja 2310 chip as the 5900, 3910,
    and 2910 are, it has not "overcome" the macroblocking issue. dummy. what
    was it you were saying about a clue?

    Khee Mao, Oct 14, 2005
  20. Pred02

    TB Guest

    "Khee Mao" queefed:

    > dude. first off, it's "MACROblocking". repeated incorrect use of
    > terminology equates to you being a dumb ass, as if that wasn't clear
    > enough already. secondly, if it's using the Faroudja 2310 chip as the 5900
    > (what about the 5910, genius?), 3910, and 2910 are, it has not "overcome"
    > the macroblocking issue. dummy. what was it you were saying about a
    > clue?

    You can't quit crying, can you? Maybe I can make you burst a ventricle
    before the week's over!

    HA!

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 14, 2005