DVD Player Progressive Scan Quest's

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Robert11, May 30, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Much thanks again for all the help, and answers to my
    dumb questions. Finally learning about this stuff.

    I have a new Panasonic DVD player with a Progressive scan out select option.
    It is feeding a 3 year old Panasonic 27" Analog TV, model CT-27 D11

    Would like to make sure I am understanding the following correctly.

    a. Even with just the Interlaced output (rather than progressive scan)
    going to the TV, I can
    expect a significantly better picture with component output cabling rather
    than composite.

    Right ?

    b. I believe that my TV does Not have Progressive Scan (anyone know for
    sure for this model No. ?)
    Therefore, the Progressive Scan option that the DVD player has, used
    with my TV, is
    of no value whatever.

    Right ?

    c. Can analog TV's have Progressive Scan options, or is it just offered
    with digital TV sets ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, May 30, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Biz Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Much thanks again for all the help, and answers to my
    > dumb questions. Finally learning about this stuff.
    >
    > I have a new Panasonic DVD player with a Progressive scan out select

    option.
    > It is feeding a 3 year old Panasonic 27" Analog TV, model CT-27 D11
    >
    > Would like to make sure I am understanding the following correctly.
    >
    > a. Even with just the Interlaced output (rather than progressive scan)
    > going to the TV, I can
    > expect a significantly better picture with component output cabling rather
    > than composite.
    >
    > Right ?

    Correct in most cases. Some people see significant improvement, some see
    small improvement, there are a few others that see no improvement.

    > b. I believe that my TV does Not have Progressive Scan (anyone know for
    > sure for this model No. ?)
    > Therefore, the Progressive Scan option that the DVD player has, used
    > with my TV, is
    > of no value whatever.
    >
    > Right ?

    Correct, unless the component inputs on your tv are labelled 480p or
    progressive, etc..then it is likely that your tv is not progressive. Your
    owners manual will tell you for sure.

    > c. Can analog TV's have Progressive Scan options, or is it just offered
    > with digital TV sets ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Some of the more expensive one do, but its much more normal to see on
    HDTV/HDTV ready sets...

    Biz, May 30, 2004

  3. Robert11 wrote:
    > a. Even with just the Interlaced output (rather than progressive scan)
    > going to the TV, I can
    > expect a significantly better picture with component output cabling rather
    > than composite.
    >
    > Right ?

    Yes.

    > b. I believe that my TV does Not have Progressive Scan (anyone know for
    > sure for this model No. ?)
    > Therefore, the Progressive Scan option that the DVD player has, used
    > with my TV, is
    > of no value whatever.
    >
    > Right ?

    Not until you upgrade to an HDTV.

    > c. Can analog TV's have Progressive Scan options, or is it just offered
    > with digital TV sets ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Sort of. There's a format called EDTV (enhanced-definition tv) that is
    the 8-track of tv formats, it never really took off. It offers a
    widescreen, progressive picture but not a high-definition one. You
    might even find some EDTVs for sale at Best Buy, with a misleading label
    saying "HD-compatible," which only means it can accept an HD signal, NOT
    display an HD picture. Many of the cheaper plasma and LCD displays are
    EDTV (and many of their owners believe they own HDTVs). Which brings me
    to my next piece of advice: unless you are outfitting a cramped space
    like a spare bedroom or an RV, do not waste money on a plasma tv or LCD
    tv. They give you an inferior picture for a greater price.

    --
    "I like the cover: 'DON'T PANIC.' It's the first sensible thing I've
    heard all day."

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, May 30, 2004
  4. Biz wrote:
    >>a. Even with just the Interlaced output (rather than progressive scan)
    >>going to the TV, I can
    >>expect a significantly better picture with component output cabling rather
    >>than composite.
    >>
    >> Right ?

    > Correct in most cases. Some people see significant improvement, some see
    > small improvement, there are a few others that see no improvement.

    I think people who see little or no difference need to have their eyes
    examined (and I really mean that they should, maybe they're color-blind
    or going near-sighted).

    Grand Inquisitor, May 30, 2004