DVD player problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gib Bogle, May 8, 2005.

  1. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not
    others (all original disks, no copies.) The disks that don't work do
    this: After the disk has loaded the copyright message appears repeated
    in 3 horizontal flickering bands. Everything that follows is
    grey-scale, and is in the same 3 flickering bands. The sound is OK.
    After the disk is removed the bad video state persists - the Dick Smith
    logo is similarly munted - until either one of the disks that works is
    inserted, or the player is turned off and on. I have 2 disks that play
    OK, and 2 that don't.

    I took the player and disks to the Dick Smith shop, and of course the
    non-playing disk that we tested worked on their TV. The guy in the shop
    suggested that my TV is the problem, but I can't understand how this can
    be. After all, the signal path is one-way, from the player to the TV.
    How can the TV put the player into a faulty state? When the state is
    bad I can remove the disk, disconnect the TV cable then reconnect, and
    the picture is still munted.

    Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas for the explanation? My problem at
    the moment is that the player seems to work as far as Dick Smith is
    concerned - as far as they know I might be crazy or lying.

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, May 8, 2005

  2. Gib Bogle

    CSE Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 12:23:08 +1200, Gib Bogle <>
    wrote:

    >I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not
    >others (all original disks, no copies.) The disks that don't work do
    >this: After the disk has loaded the copyright message appears repeated
    >in 3 horizontal flickering bands. Everything that follows is
    >grey-scale, and is in the same 3 flickering bands. The sound is OK.
    >After the disk is removed the bad video state persists - the Dick Smith
    >logo is similarly munted - until either one of the disks that works is
    >inserted, or the player is turned off and on. I have 2 disks that play
    >OK, and 2 that don't.
    >
    >I took the player and disks to the Dick Smith shop, and of course the
    >non-playing disk that we tested worked on their TV. The guy in the shop
    >suggested that my TV is the problem, but I can't understand how this can
    >be. After all, the signal path is one-way, from the player to the TV.
    >How can the TV put the player into a faulty state? When the state is
    >bad I can remove the disk, disconnect the TV cable then reconnect, and
    >the picture is still munted.
    >
    >Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas for the explanation? My problem at
    >the moment is that the player seems to work as far as Dick Smith is
    >concerned - as far as they know I might be crazy or lying.
    >
    >Gib

    Does your TV support NTSC or PAL 60 as that id often required in playing
    back DVD's, it on most modern TV's, check your TV specs

    CSE, May 8, 2005

  3. Gib Bogle

    Richard Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not
    > others (all original disks, no copies.) The disks that don't work do
    > this: After the disk has loaded the copyright message appears repeated
    > in 3 horizontal flickering bands. Everything that follows is
    > grey-scale, and is in the same 3 flickering bands. The sound is OK.
    > After the disk is removed the bad video state persists - the Dick Smith
    > logo is similarly munted - until either one of the disks that works is
    > inserted, or the player is turned off and on. I have 2 disks that play
    > OK, and 2 that don't.
    >
    > I took the player and disks to the Dick Smith shop, and of course the
    > non-playing disk that we tested worked on their TV. The guy in the shop
    > suggested that my TV is the problem, but I can't understand how this can
    > be. After all, the signal path is one-way, from the player to the TV.
    > How can the TV put the player into a faulty state? When the state is
    > bad I can remove the disk, disconnect the TV cable then reconnect, and
    > the picture is still munted.
    >
    > Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas for the explanation? My problem at
    > the moment is that the player seems to work as far as Dick Smith is
    > concerned - as far as they know I might be crazy or lying.

    Of have a non mulitsystem TV. See if the dvd player can be set to always output
    PAL and if that solves it

    Richard, May 8, 2005
  4. Gib Bogle said the following on 8/05/2005 12:23 p.m.:
    > I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not

    Nice DVD I bought one the other day.

    Trickeys boys may well be right, your TV can not deal with
    the Timebase of the composite video generated by some DVD
    programs. Does your TV have any inputs beside composite
    video (Yellow RCA Socket)?

    As suggested by others forcing PAL playback may also help.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Pictorial Amusement from the web at
    http://nzcollector.blogspot.com

    Collector»NZ, May 8, 2005
  5. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not
    >> others (all original disks, no copies.) The disks that don't work do
    >> this: After the disk has loaded the copyright message appears repeated
    >> in 3 horizontal flickering bands. Everything that follows is
    >> grey-scale, and is in the same 3 flickering bands. The sound is OK.
    >> After the disk is removed the bad video state persists - the Dick
    >> Smith logo is similarly munted - until either one of the disks that
    >> works is inserted, or the player is turned off and on. I have 2 disks
    >> that play OK, and 2 that don't.
    >>
    >> I took the player and disks to the Dick Smith shop, and of course the
    >> non-playing disk that we tested worked on their TV. The guy in the
    >> shop suggested that my TV is the problem, but I can't understand how
    >> this can be. After all, the signal path is one-way, from the player
    >> to the TV. How can the TV put the player into a faulty state? When
    >> the state is bad I can remove the disk, disconnect the TV cable then
    >> reconnect, and the picture is still munted.
    >>
    >> Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas for the explanation? My problem
    >> at the moment is that the player seems to work as far as Dick Smith is
    >> concerned - as far as they know I might be crazy or lying.

    > Of have a non mulitsystem TV. See if the dvd player can be set to always
    > output PAL and if that solves it

    Yes, this was it. The Dick Smith guy said I should try setting it to
    NTSC (it was Auto), but in fact setting it to PAL did the trick. Thanks
    to those who replied.

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, May 8, 2005
  6. Gib Bogle

    Daniel Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not
    > others (all original disks, no copies.) The disks that don't work do
    > this: After the disk has loaded the copyright message appears repeated
    > in 3 horizontal flickering bands. Everything that follows is
    > grey-scale, and is in the same 3 flickering bands. The sound is OK.
    > After the disk is removed the bad video state persists - the Dick Smith
    > logo is similarly munted - until either one of the disks that works is
    > inserted, or the player is turned off and on. I have 2 disks that play
    > OK, and 2 that don't.
    >
    > I took the player and disks to the Dick Smith shop, and of course the
    > non-playing disk that we tested worked on their TV. The guy in the shop
    > suggested that my TV is the problem, but I can't understand how this can
    > be. After all, the signal path is one-way, from the player to the TV.
    > How can the TV put the player into a faulty state? When the state is
    > bad I can remove the disk, disconnect the TV cable then reconnect, and
    > the picture is still munted.
    >
    > Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas for the explanation? My problem at
    > the moment is that the player seems to work as far as Dick Smith is
    > concerned - as far as they know I might be crazy or lying.
    >
    > Gib

    Hmmm... had a similar sounding issue on my TV. Fault was with the
    settings on the TV. The TV setting was forced to PAL, instead of Auto.
    Once I set it to auto, things were okay from then on.

    Problem was that I had NTSC DVD's from the US (Region 1), and my DVD was
    ouputting an NTSC signal, while the TV was forced to handle PAL.

    Daniel, May 8, 2005
  7. Gib Bogle

    Richard Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    >> Of have a non mulitsystem TV. See if the dvd player can be set to
    >> always output PAL and if that solves it

    > Yes, this was it. The Dick Smith guy said I should try setting it to
    > NTSC (it was Auto), but in fact setting it to PAL did the trick. Thanks
    > to those who replied.

    Be aware that its not going to do a good job of taking the 24fps material and
    outputting it at 25fps, so you will get funny stutters on movement.

    Richard, May 8, 2005
  8. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >>> Of have a non mulitsystem TV. See if the dvd player can be set to
    >>> always output PAL and if that solves it

    >> Yes, this was it. The Dick Smith guy said I should try setting it to
    >> NTSC (it was Auto), but in fact setting it to PAL did the trick.
    >> Thanks to those who replied.

    > Be aware that its not going to do a good job of taking the 24fps
    > material and outputting it at 25fps, so you will get funny stutters on
    > movement.

    I've always done that ;-)

    Gib Bogle, May 8, 2005
  9. Gib Bogle

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > I have new Dick Smith DVD player, G7118, which plays some DVDs but not
    > others (all original disks, no copies.) The disks that don't work do
    > this: After the disk has loaded the copyright message appears repeated
    > in 3 horizontal flickering bands. Everything that follows is
    > grey-scale, and is in the same 3 flickering bands. The sound is OK.
    > After the disk is removed the bad video state persists - the Dick Smith
    > logo is similarly munted - until either one of the disks that works is
    > inserted, or the player is turned off and on. I have 2 disks that play
    > OK, and 2 that don't.
    >
    > I took the player and disks to the Dick Smith shop, and of course the
    > non-playing disk that we tested worked on their TV. The guy in the shop
    > suggested that my TV is the problem, but I can't understand how this can
    > be. After all, the signal path is one-way, from the player to the TV.
    > How can the TV put the player into a faulty state? When the state is
    > bad I can remove the disk, disconnect the TV cable then reconnect, and
    > the picture is still munted.
    >
    > Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas for the explanation? My problem at
    > the moment is that the player seems to work as far as Dick Smith is
    > concerned - as far as they know I might be crazy or lying.
    >
    > Gib

    You've just seen it work ok for yourself at Dick Smith.
    Try it on a few friends TVs if you still have doubts.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 8, 2005