    degrades the picture quality so it's not a real solution.

    Any ideas what's happening and what I can do to make it stop?

    Kevin
    pakdog, May 28, 2004

  2. >DVD's played through my television make a loud and regular popping sound.
    >The components are:
    >
    >Philips Magnavox Smart Series Televsion, 1998
    >
    >CyberHome Mini DVD Player CH-DVD 320, 2003
    >
    >RadioShack Video RF Modulator, 2003 (why we needed this is an open
    >question to me but the DVD's wouldn't play when we ran the cables straight
    >to the TV set from the DVD player so we visited RadioShack and they sold
    >us on the RF Modulator)

    What do you mean the DVDs wouldn't play when trying to use the input
    connections on the television?

    As for the popping noise, that may be due to the fact that you are running it
    using a VHF modulator. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, May 29, 2004

  3. pakdog

    Prot Guest

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:30:01 GMT, "pakdog" <>
    wrote:

    >DVD's played through my television make a loud and regular popping sound.
    >The components are:
    >
    >Philips Magnavox Smart Series Televsion, 1998
    >
    >CyberHome Mini DVD Player CH-DVD 320, 2003
    >
    >RadioShack Video RF Modulator, 2003 (why we needed this is an open
    >question to me but the DVD's wouldn't play when we ran the cables straight
    >to the TV set from the DVD player so we visited RadioShack and they sold
    >us on the RF Modulator)
    >
    >One other thing is that the popping sound goes away when I switch from
    >75ohms to 1k on the video cable throughput. However, this drastically
    >degrades the picture quality so it's not a real solution.
    >
    >Any ideas what's happening and what I can do to make it stop?
    >
    >Kevin

    If your Cyberhome DVD player would not play when hooked up with the
    video cables, the Radio Shack should have exchanged the player, not
    sold you a method that seriously degrades the quality of both the
    picture and the sound. The player is obviously defective, unless
    perhaps you did not have the cables hooked up correctly. Red to Red,
    White to White, and Yellow (video) to Yellow (video).
    Prot, May 29, 2004
  4. pakdog

    pakdog Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 04:20:24 +0000, LASERandDVDfan wrote:

    > What do you mean the DVDs wouldn't play when trying to use the input
    > connections on the television?

    I connected the cables from the DVD player to the TV, inserted a disk, turned on
    the TV and nada -- no picture, no sound, nothing.
    pakdog, May 29, 2004
  5. pakdog

    pakdog Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 12:20:28 +0000, Prot wrote:

    > If your Cyberhome DVD player would not play when hooked up with the video
    > cables, the Radio Shack should have exchanged the player, not sold you a
    > method that seriously degrades the quality of both the picture and the
    > sound.

    The player was a Christmas gift from out-of-state. I assumed at first that
    we might need different cables. But, as I said, RS sold us on the RF modulator.

    > The player is obviously defective, unless perhaps you did not have
    > the cables hooked up correctly. Red to Red, White to White, and Yellow
    > (video) to Yellow (video).

    I'll double check that but I'm usually pretty good with things like that.

    This is from left field but I have DirecTV and I'm wondering if the
    popping sound could have something to do with the satellite signal.
    Because it's so regular it makes me think there's some kind of
    interference.
    pakdog, May 29, 2004
  6. pakdog

    Biz Guest

    "pakdog" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 12:20:28 +0000, Prot wrote:
    >
    > > If your Cyberhome DVD player would not play when hooked up with the

    video
    > > cables, the Radio Shack should have exchanged the player, not sold you a
    > > method that seriously degrades the quality of both the picture and the
    > > sound.

    > The player was a Christmas gift from out-of-state. I assumed at first that
    > we might need different cables. But, as I said, RS sold us on the RF

    modulator.

    > > The player is obviously defective, unless perhaps you did not have
    > > the cables hooked up correctly. Red to Red, White to White, and Yellow
    > > (video) to Yellow (video).

    > I'll double check that but I'm usually pretty good with things like that.
    >
    > This is from left field but I have DirecTV and I'm wondering if the
    > popping sound could have something to do with the satellite signal.
    > Because it's so regular it makes me think there's some kind of
    > interference.

    Did you bother to change the input on the tv to correspond to the cabling
    for the dvd player. IF you got no picture, present or not, it is defective
    and should have been returned....
    Biz, May 29, 2004
  7. pakdog

    lrulan Guest

    "pakdog" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 04:20:24 +0000, LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >
    > > What do you mean the DVDs wouldn't play when trying to use the input
    > > connections on the television?

    > I connected the cables from the DVD player to the TV, inserted a disk,

    turned on
    > the TV and nada -- no picture, no sound, nothing.

    Did you change the Input on the TV itself to the set that you hooked the DVD
    player to? In other words, if your TV set has video 1, video 2, video 3
    inputs and you hooked the dvd player to let's say, video 2, you need to
    change the TV output to video 2 also to see the picture. If you kept it to
    video 1 or video 3, then you won't see a picture. If you have more than 1
    video input on the TV then you don't need the RF demodulator from R/S. Good
    luck.
    lrulan, May 30, 2004
  8. pakdog

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "pakdog" <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 29 May 2004 04:20:24 +0000, LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >
    >> What do you mean the DVDs wouldn't play when trying to use the input
    >> connections on the television?

    >I connected the cables from the DVD player to the TV, inserted a disk, turned
    > on
    >the TV and nada -- no picture, no sound, nothing.

    You MUST change the tv to VIDEO 1 or INPUT 1 or whatever input the dvd player
    is hooked to.
    GMAN, May 30, 2004
  9. pakdog

    pakdog Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 03:35:57 +0000, GMAN wrote:

    > You MUST change the tv to VIDEO 1 or INPUT 1 or whatever input the dvd
    > player is hooked to.

    This did it. The picture is crystal clear and the audio is clean. I live
    and learn. Thanks to all for taking the time to help. Now about those guys
    at Radio Shack . . .

    Later,

    Kevin
    pakdog, May 30, 2004