    No skins, no extra toolbars or software, no bells or whistles.
    Just a plain, easy to use viewer for DVDs.

    Running XP with MediaPlayer 10.

    darkrats, Jun 27, 2005

  2. darkrats

    old jon Guest

    "darkrats" <> wrote in message
    news:HHVve.106127$El.40148@pd7tw1no...
    > What's the simplest DVD player out there?
    >
    > No skins, no extra toolbars or software, no bells or whistles.
    > Just a plain, easy to use viewer for DVDs.
    >
    > Running XP with MediaPlayer 10.

    Ask this question in alt.comp.freeware, you might get a free one. bw..OJ

    old jon, Jun 27, 2005

  3. darkrats

    Dave Lear Guest

    "darkrats" wrote in message news:HHVve.106127$El.40148@pd7tw1no

    > What's the simplest DVD player out there?
    >
    > No skins, no extra toolbars or software, no bells or whistles.
    > Just a plain, easy to use viewer for DVDs.
    >
    > Running XP with MediaPlayer 10.

    How about adding a DVD codec to Windows Media Player...
    http://www.intervideo.com/media_pack/jsp/Xpack.jsp

    Dave Lear, Jun 27, 2005
  4. darkrats

    Legion Guest

    "darkrats" <> wrote in news:HHVve.106127$El.40148
    @pd7tw1no:

    > What's the simplest DVD player out there?
    > No skins, no extra toolbars or software, no bells or whistles.
    > Just a plain, easy to use viewer for DVDs.

    Try Media Player Classic (MPC)
    get it at: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303
    &package_id=84358
    You can use all internal filters to play anything but deselect MPEG1 in the
    options.
    good luck

    Legion, Jun 27, 2005
  5. darkrats

    gangle Guest

    gangle, Jun 28, 2005
  6. darkrats

    Guest

    , Jun 28, 2005
  7. darkrats

    darkrats Guest

    Thanks. I chose to go with MediaPlayer Classic.

    Under options/file format, I selected only DVD File and left the others
    unchecked.

    Tried out a movie "House of Flying Daggers" and it played without problems.
    Should I have checked any of the other file formats, or leave it as is? I
    plan on using
    MediaPlayer Classic only for watching DVD movies.

    darkrats

    darkrats, Jun 28, 2005
  8. darkrats

    gangle Guest

    "darkrats" wrote
    > Thanks. I chose to go with MediaPlayer Classic.
    >
    > Under options/file format, I selected only DVD File and left the others
    > unchecked.
    >
    > Tried out a movie "House of Flying Daggers" and it played without problems.
    > Should I have checked any of the other file formats, or leave it as is? I
    > plan on using
    > MediaPlayer Classic only for watching DVD movies.

    MPC is superior to WMP (the last stable WMP was version
    6.4, which MPC is patterned to visually resemble). You don't
    have to use it as default player for particular file types other
    than DVD. Just keep a shortcut to MPC on Desktop -- open
    it anytime you want to see how an AVI, MPG, WMV, ASF,
    MP3, RM, etc. would play in it by dragging the particular
    mutimedia file into it. You'll find that it is far more versatile
    than WMP or Real Player, yet simple in its functionality.

    gangle, Jun 28, 2005
  9. darkrats

    Legion Guest

    "darkrats" <> wrote in
    > Under options/file format, I selected only DVD File and left the
    > others unchecked.
    >
    > Tried out a movie "House of Flying Daggers" and it played without
    > problems. Should I have checked any of the other file formats, or
    > leave it as is?

    That's fine, if that's all you want to use it for. I checked "Real" and
    "Quicktime" formats because I don't have either installed. I prefer to
    let MPC handle that stuff. In fact I prefer using MPC for everything but
    don't want it to take all file associations.
    If something is problematic you should uncheck it's box in the 'Filters'
    section, though, and use the system codecs instead of internal filters. I
    have an older version of MPC and it worked better leaving AVIsplitter and
    MPEG1 video decoder unchecked.
    I do leave a shortcut to it on my desktop and when I need to check
    something, just drag it into MPC. It's also great for flash animations.
    Have fun with it and tweak it to your liking.
    Cheers

    Legion, Jun 28, 2005
  10. darkrats

    darkrats Guest

    Question: Why should MPEG1 be left unchecked in MPC?

    darkrats, Jun 28, 2005
  11. darkrats

    Legion Guest

    "darkrats" <> wrote in news:7Dfwe.112759$El.88327
    @pd7tw1no:

    > Question: Why should MPEG1 be left unchecked in MPC?

    Give it a try. If it works for you then it's all good. I just had some prob
    lems with it's own internal decoder, that's all. I also had some problems
    with some Divx/Xvid and decided to use the system installed codecs. I also
    found that, once a friend came over that had some VBR mp3s that wouldn't
    play in MPC but the headers were corrupted (he got them from filesharing)
    but they would play in WMP. I still use MPC's internal filters for MP3,
    though since it doesn't have any problems with properly encoded MP3.

    Legion, Jun 29, 2005