    sticking it into their computer?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 31, 2003

  2. "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > Has anyone else tried taking the DVD-ROM drive out of their DVD-player and
    > sticking it into their computer?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    why bother?
    they're not that expensive.

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Aug 31, 2003

  3. Nicholas Sherlock

    Rupert Guest

    it's probably not a dvd-rom player as you get in a PC - more likely to be a
    custom device the same as your CD player in your stereo is.

    Rupert, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Nicholas Sherlock

    tim Guest

    > why bother?
    > they're not that expensive.

    never ask a geek that question...

    tim, Aug 31, 2003
  5. On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:59:03 +0800, "Rupert" <>
    wrote:

    >it's probably not a dvd-rom player as you get in a PC - more likely to be a
    >custom device the same as your CD player in your stereo is.

    Have you seen them? The units in the Mustek players I've seen have
    your standard 4 pin molex power plug and an IDE connector!

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Aug 31, 2003
  6. Nicholas Sherlock

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "tim" <tim-j@[spam]operamail.com> wrote in message
    > > why bother?
    > > they're not that expensive.

    > never ask a geek that question...

    LOL, too true.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 31, 2003
  7. Nicholas Sherlock

    tim Guest

    > Have you seen them? The units in the Mustek players I've seen have
    > your standard 4 pin molex power plug and an IDE connector!

    are these the 2 channel ones offered at dickhead smith for $130?
    thought that was kind of cool price actually. u know, that is pretty cheap
    for a dvd player.
    mmm mass production :)

    yeah so quality is probably shite and the sound is only 2 channel but so
    what?!? that is perfect for alot of people...

    got a kick out of showing my olds how to use the subtitle feature to show
    them how to pick up something when they can't hear the audio, how to
    fastforward/rewind at multiple speeds, how to show elapsed/remaining time,
    etc. shit like that is useful to them...

    tim, Aug 31, 2003
  8. Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > Has anyone else tried taking the DVD-ROM drive out of their
    > DVD-player and sticking it into their computer?

    Thanks everyone, it works fine on my PC and I have already perfectly "backed
    up" 2 movies. Too bad the drive is only 2x.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 31, 2003
  9. Nicholas Sherlock

    Brett Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 07:32:47 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    <> wrote:

    >Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> Has anyone else tried taking the DVD-ROM drive out of their
    >> DVD-player and sticking it into their computer?

    >Thanks everyone, it works fine on my PC and I have already perfectly "backed
    >up" 2 movies. Too bad the drive is only 2x.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    Does this mean I could buy a cheap DVD ide drive to fix my non working
    Toshiba dvd player?

    Brett Cooper, Sep 1, 2003
  10. Nicholas Sherlock

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Brett Cooper" wrote
    > Does this mean I could buy a cheap DVD ide drive to fix my non working
    > Toshiba dvd player?

    Maybe... It worked for a mates Mizumi(?) brand player... he has since put a
    faster drive in, with more cache, and it seems to run smoother.

    T.N.O., Sep 1, 2003
  11. Brett Cooper wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 07:32:47 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>> Hey all,
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else tried taking the DVD-ROM drive out of their
    >>> DVD-player and sticking it into their computer?

    >> Thanks everyone, it works fine on my PC and I have already perfectly
    >> "backed up" 2 movies. Too bad the drive is only 2x.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Nicholas Sherlock
    >>

    > Does this mean I could buy a cheap DVD ide drive to fix my non working
    > Toshiba dvd player?

    If the drive that's in there has a standard molex power connector, and
    standard IDE cable, then probably yes. But it won't mount into the case
    properly.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 1, 2003