    --
    noho ora mai, ka kite ano
    http://maxqnzs.com/References.html
    Max Quordlepleen, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Max Quordlepleen

    colinco Guest

    In article Max Quordlepleen says...
    > I am looking to buy a new DVD player, and need to make sure that it
    > plays Region 0 (Zero) DVDs well. This is important because the Hindi
    > movies I watch are all Region 0, and are sometimes of dicey quality.
    > Any recommendations for a player up to around $200 that would fit the
    > bill?

    Region 0 or no region code? AFAIK codes go 1-6 with India in 5
    colinco, Mar 15, 2005

  3. On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:35:53 GMT, colinco <>
    proffered, in : news::

    > In article Max Quordlepleen says...
    >> I am looking to buy a new DVD player, and need to make sure that
    >> it plays Region 0 (Zero) DVDs well. This is important because the
    >> Hindi movies I watch are all Region 0, and are sometimes of dicey
    >> quality. Any recommendations for a player up to around $200 that
    >> would fit the bill?
    >>

    > Region 0 or no region code? AFAIK codes go 1-6 with India in 5

    They all describe themselves as “Region 0”, which means, AFAICT, “no
    region”. They aren’t region 5. I’d never heard the phrase “Region 0”
    either, before I started watching Indian movies. It is VERY common on
    Indian DVDs.

    Max Quordlepleen, Mar 15, 2005
  4. Max Quordlepleen

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Region 0 just means it will play anywhere. So any old cheap (sub $100)
    will work. Mind due any old cheap machine will probably be multizone
    anyway.

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Mar 15, 2005
  5. Max Quordlepleen wrote:
    >>Region 0 or no region code? AFAIK codes go 1-6 with India in 5

    > They all describe themselves as “Region 0”, which means, AFAICT, “no
    > region”. They aren’t region 5. I’d never heard the phrase “Region 0”
    > either, before I started watching Indian movies. It is VERY common on
    > Indian DVDs.

    My understanding is that the region code is a a single octet, one bit
    for each region. Players interpret a value of 0 as having no region
    code, making it functionally equivalent to a region code of 256.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Mar 16, 2005
  6. The Other Guy wrote:
    >> They all describe themselves as “Region 0”, which means, AFAICT, “no
    >> region”. They aren’t region 5. I’d never heard the phrase “Region 0”
    >> either, before I started watching Indian movies. It is VERY common on
    >> Indian DVDs.

    > My understanding is that the region code is a a single octet, one bit
    > for each region. Players interpret a value of 0 as having no region
    > code, making it functionally equivalent to a region code of 256.

    some players wont play region 0 disks... never found one myself, but
    I've read it somewhere at some point.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 16, 2005
  7. Max Quordlepleen

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Thats bad. Its a requirement of the DVD Spec that you support region 0.

    One thing that confused the Region 0 spec was the RCE protected disks.
    Your play is modified to play all disks as Region 0, but you can place
    a branch on the disk based on region. This branch is to allow menus or
    other components to differ by region. RCE put a hook that if your
    player advertised anything other than Region 1 it would branch to an
    error menu and not let you play the disk.

    Haven't heard of it being used that much recently.

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Mar 16, 2005
  8. On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:45:28 GMT, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> proffered, in : news:d1833o$rph$2
    @renew.usenet.net.nz:

    > some players wont play region 0 disks... never found one myself, but
    > I've read it somewhere at some point.

    I have – my old RCA that I bought from Farmers about 3 years ago. It
    will play some but not others, and often locks up completely when
    trying to process them. On one occasion, I had to pull the plug out of
    the wall in order to turn the damn thing off, then plug it back in to
    get the DVD out. That same DVD played just fine in a friend’s player.
    Sice I’m watching a lot of region 0 movies, that’s why I’m making sure
    I don’t get burned again.

    Max Quordlepleen, Mar 16, 2005
  9. On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:17:03 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > I am looking to buy a new DVD player, and need to make sure that it
    > plays Region 0 (Zero) DVDs well. This is important because the Hindi
    > movies I watch are all Region 0, and are sometimes of dicey quality.
    > Any recommendations for a player up to around $200 that would fit the
    > bill?

    Er no regional coding = Region 0. Most pron DVDs are region zero ;-)
    wogers nemesis, Mar 16, 2005
  10. On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:27:37 +1300, Max Quordlepleen <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:45:28 GMT, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    ><> proffered, in : news:d1833o$rph$2
    >@renew.usenet.net.nz:
    >
    >> some players wont play region 0 disks... never found one myself, but
    >> I've read it somewhere at some point.
    >>

    >I have – my old RCA that I bought from Farmers about 3 years ago. It
    >will play some but not others, and often locks up completely when
    >trying to process them. On one occasion, I had to pull the plug out of
    >the wall in order to turn the damn thing off, then plug it back in to
    >get the DVD out. That same DVD played just fine in a friend’s player.
    >Sice I’m watching a lot of region 0 movies, that’s why I’m making sure
    >I don’t get burned again.

    Are these Clean Movies, ? if they are take the ones you have problems with to
    a shop and try them out..
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 16, 2005
  11. Max Quordlepleen

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Max Quordlepleen <> wrote in

    > hat same DVD played just fine in a friend's player.
    > Sice I'm watching a lot of region 0 movies, that's why I'm making sure
    > I don't get burned again.

    Take a region 0 movie that causes problems with you to the store and see
    for yourself.

    I think all the stuff at Dick Smiths is multi region. See their web site.
    dse.co.nz

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 16, 2005
  12. On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 05:58:27 GMT, BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn
    proffered, in : news::

    > Are these Clean Movies, ? if they are take the ones you have
    > problems with to a shop and try them out..

    Yep, very clean – PG would a VERY raunchy rating for most bollywood
    movies. <g>

    Max Quordlepleen, Mar 16, 2005
  13. Max Quordlepleen

    A Guest

    On 15 Mar 2005 18:30:25 -0800, "Steven Ellis" <>
    wrote:

    >Thats bad. Its a requirement of the DVD Spec that you support region 0.
    >
    >One thing that confused the Region 0 spec was the RCE protected disks.
    >Your play is modified to play all disks as Region 0, but you can place
    >a branch on the disk based on region. This branch is to allow menus or
    >other components to differ by region. RCE put a hook that if your
    >player advertised anything other than Region 1 it would branch to an
    >error menu and not let you play the disk.
    >
    >Haven't heard of it being used that much recently.
    >
    >Steve

    Most of the titles I've been getting from the states recently have
    been RCE. e.g.

    Dora the Explorer
    Aliens Vs Predator
    Garden State

    I always thought RCE discs were reported as region 0 but the menu
    software checked the region and if it wasn't region 1 then it would
    not play. A lot of the early multizone players were either set to
    Region 0 or they checked the region of the disc and set themselves to
    that region (hence RCE would trick them into setting themselves to
    region 0).

    All of the recent DVD pleyrs I've used play RCE discs fine without any
    fiddling. How do they do it? One solution I've thought of is that
    since most (if not all) RCE discs are region 1, perhaps the DVD player
    will automatically select region 1 if it detects a region 0 disc.
    A, Mar 16, 2005