    it would be neat to also play divx, mpeg stuff etc.
    hopefully you can get this at circuit city and those type places. want to
    get one local.

    ABS, Sep 1, 2005

  2. ABS

    Guest

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:20:26 -0700, "ABS" <> wrote:

    >what dvd player is it that will play pal discs on normal ntsc tvs? it
    >converts them, but i forget the name brand and model, it was less then $100.
    >this is for home stereo, not computers.
    >it would be neat to also play divx, mpeg stuff etc.
    >hopefully you can get this at circuit city and those type places. want to
    >get one local.

    Norcent DP220

    , Sep 1, 2005

  3. On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:49:08 GMT, wrote:

    >On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:20:26 -0700, "ABS" <> wrote:
    >
    >>what dvd player is it that will play pal discs on normal ntsc tvs? it
    >>converts them, but i forget the name brand and model, it was less then $100.
    >>this is for home stereo, not computers.
    >>it would be neat to also play divx, mpeg stuff etc.
    >>hopefully you can get this at circuit city and those type places. want to
    >>get one local.
    >>

    >Norcent DP220

    And Philips 642 for DivX. However ALL cheap players, every one, will
    play PAL discs to an NTSC output, but they may not neccesarily have
    hackable or defeatable Region protection.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 1, 2005
  4. ABS

    ABS Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:49:08 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:20:26 -0700, "ABS" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>what dvd player is it that will play pal discs on normal ntsc tvs? it
    >>>converts them, but i forget the name brand and model, it was less then
    >>>$100.
    >>>this is for home stereo, not computers.
    >>>it would be neat to also play divx, mpeg stuff etc.
    >>>hopefully you can get this at circuit city and those type places. want to
    >>>get one local.
    >>>

    >>Norcent DP220

    > And Philips 642 for DivX. However ALL cheap players, every one, will
    > play PAL discs to an NTSC output, but they may not neccesarily have
    > hackable or defeatable Region protection.
    >
    > .. Steve ..

    i need this to let me play pal discs on my ntsc tvs etc. not all cheap
    players will do that, but i am sure some might.

    ABS, Sep 1, 2005
  5. ABS

    TB Guest

    "ABS" wrote:

    >>>Norcent DP220

    >> And Philips 642 for DivX. However ALL cheap players, every one, will
    >> play PAL discs to an NTSC output, but they may not neccesarily have
    >> hackable or defeatable Region protection.
    >>
    >> .. Steve ..
    >>

    > i need this to let me play pal discs on my ntsc tvs etc. not all cheap
    > players will do that, but i am sure some might.

    Well, although they're all higher end players ranging from $2,600 to $400 or
    so, the Denon 5910, 3910 and 2910 will convert PAL to NTSC and visa versa
    without the need of a external decoder for whatever monitor you're using.
    Plus a simple firmware flash upgrade available on many dvd techie websites
    will enable you to make any of these players region free as well. Of course,
    even the cheapest of these players are far more expensive than any Hong
    Kong/Taiwan cheapo player but you get a significantly higher level of
    performance, format playability (including SACDs, rewritable media, etc) and
    playback quality that's very noticeable, imo.

    I've never been a huge Denon fan but I bought the 3910 half a year ago and
    in every way, it blows every prior dvd player I've owned (Pioneer Elite,
    Toshiba) out of the water in every aspect. It also nice to finally be able
    to watch a PAL dvd from say, Germany on my home theater setup instead of my
    ho-hum pc setup. I expect this to be my last dvd player I'll buy until the
    HiDef format wars settle down in maybe 5 or 6 years (if I'm lucky).

    T.B.

    TB, Sep 1, 2005
  6. On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:33:17 -0700, "ABS" <> wrote:

    >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message

    >>>Norcent DP220

    >> And Philips 642 for DivX. However ALL cheap players, every one, will
    >> play PAL discs to an NTSC output, but they may not neccesarily have
    >> hackable or defeatable Region protection.
    >>
    >> .. Steve ..
    >>

    >i need this to let me play pal discs on my ntsc tvs etc. not all cheap
    >players will do that, but i am sure some might.

    Every bargain player available at Best Buy or Circuit City will play
    PAL DVDs to NTSC output. Not "Some" but "Most." And the cheap ones
    often don't have Macrovision and/or Region protection, the latter
    being the main concern in your case. A few expensive players will
    also do this, as TB describes, but not many. Read
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php

    You can take a Sample PAL disc to the store and ask to try the
    cheapest players to see if the disc will play. If you find a good
    player that does however have Region protection then that disc can be
    copied with DVDdecypter and DVDshrink if necessary to remove the
    Region code, then play the copy. That's what I occasionally do to play
    PAL discs on my JVC machine, which handles PAL discs beautifully but
    has none-hackable Macrovision and Region codes (being a more expensive
    unit.)

    .. Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 1, 2005
  7. ABS

    Biz Guest

    Go through this list
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=&Search=Search&divx=1&multis
    ystem=1&chipset=&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25&Submit2=Search

    My current favorite is the Pioneer DV-588

    Biz, Sep 1, 2005
  8. ABS

    Head Hunter Guest

    I have a Sampo DVE-612 that plays PAL to ntsc no problem. It is also a
    snap to convert to region free. The only problem I have is it doesn't have
    the digital audio connection, so it doesn't do surround. Other than that,
    it works fine.

    Head Hunter, Sep 4, 2005
  9. ABS

    Guest

    Head Hunter wrote:

    > I have a Sampo DVE-612 that plays PAL to ntsc no problem. It is also a
    > snap to convert to region free. The only problem I have is it doesn't have
    > the digital audio connection, so it doesn't do surround. Other than that,
    > it works fine.

    I just bought a CyberHome CH-DVD 300 at Walmart yesterday that does
    PAL>NTSC for less than $36.87.

    , Sep 8, 2005