    TIA

    -- Otter
    (Spamfoil in place. Pull MYTAILFEATHERS to reply via email.)

    Scarlet Otter, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Scarlet Otter

    Pug Fugley Guest

    You probably need an optical pickup, you should be able to get one for
    around $100 or so.

    That's probably why everyone says to just buy a new player.

    "Scarlet Otter" <> wrote in message
    > I just took a gamble and blew $20 at Goodwill for a DVD Player, a Sony

    DVP-
    > S360. Turns out it was a bad gamble, as the player does not recognize any
    > disc inserted. I tried an actual DVD, a music CD that I recently burned,
    > and a commercially produced music CD, and the system still asks for me to
    > insert a disc.
    >
    > Well, not quite ready to write off that $20 yet, I'd like to attempt to
    > repair this unit myself. So, does anyone here have any ideas why the
    > player doesn't see the disc, and how I might be able to fix it?
    >
    > My best uneducated guess says some sort of alignment problem.
    >
    > Anyway, any tips and help are greatly appreciated (and no, the cop-out
    > "just buy a new player" is not an acceptable answer. If that was the

    case,

    Pug Fugley, Sep 6, 2003

  3. Scarlet Otter

    Biz Guest

    Most likely failed optics, like the other 99.9% of the DVD player failures
    out there...parts if they can be had, usually run around $100 or so.

    Biz, Sep 6, 2003
  4. Scarlet Otter

    Mark W Guest

    "Scarlet Otter" <> wrote in message
    > I just took a gamble and blew $20 at Goodwill for a DVD Player, a Sony

    DVP-
    > S360. Turns out it was a bad gamble, as the player does not recognize any
    > disc inserted. I tried an actual DVD, a music CD that I recently burned,
    > and a commercially produced music CD, and the system still asks for me to
    > insert a disc.

    If it has an adjustment for the laser focus, try tweaking that. You might be
    pleasantly surprised.

    Mark W, Sep 6, 2003
  5. This is very likely due to a blown microfuse (part F402 on media board) which
    controls the DSP servo for the optical pickup. However, the blown fuse problem
    is a common occurance.

    Bear in mind that a defective optical pickup may also be the cause, but this is
    a more likely scenario as the blown DSP servo microfuse is a more common
    failure than a failing optical pickup.

    Be advised, however, that there is more than one version of the media process
    board, which contains the servo control circuit in addition to the MPEG,
    firmware, and audio process solutions. One version has two 0.8 amp microfuses,
    the other does not.

    BTW, the DVP-S360 will not read CD-R discs, with the exception of Princo
    branded media. This player is also a third generation entry level model
    produced during 1999-2001. This model is currently discontinued and was
    replaced by the DVP-NS300. The DVP-NS300 was replaced by the DVP-NS315, and
    the DVP-NS315 was replaced by the DVP-NS325. The DVP-NS325 is a sixth
    generation model.

    http://www.benmorris.net/dvd/

    This website will give you an idea of what to look for, but I do not recommend
    the fix indicated there. The microfuse is there for a reason, so bypassing it
    will only invite the possibility of a future failure in a more catastrophic
    sense for the DSP servo.

    The reason for the microfuse blowing is unclear, or at least to me. It is
    possible that the surface mount microfuses used in this player were rather
    cheap. The fix, in my case, was to use a higher quality microfuse. Not one
    player that was fixed through the use of a better microfuse has ever come back
    for warranty service.

    You'll have to be handy with a soldering iron, and you'll have to use the right
    kind of soldering iron for the job, preferrably a 15 watt iron with a very fine
    tip. (No soldering guns or 30 watt irons with incorrect tips, unless you want
    to damage the media board and some of its components!) You will also need
    solder suitable for the job, like Radioshack thin strand silver bearing solder.

    If you are unable to perform the necessary repair, then you may want to refer
    servicing to a qualified service technician. This can be a very delicate
    repair since you are dealing with small surface mount components on a dense and
    complex multi-layer board. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Sep 7, 2003
  6. >If it has an adjustment for the laser focus, try tweaking that. You might be
    >pleasantly surprised.

    There are no laser focus adjustments on this player. All adjustments are done
    electronically through the player's service menu, through the AUTO CALIBRATION
    function in the menu.

    A Sony DVD player remote, single layer DVD, audio Compact Disc, and dual layer
    RSDL DVD are required to perform the auto calibration. The discs must be in
    mint condition and press-replicated. DO NOT perform calibration with
    recordable and rewritable media. Also, you must calibrate for single layer
    DVDs first, CDs second, and RSDL dual layer DVDs third.

    http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/sonydvd.html

    This website has more details. Bear in mind that this process will not work if
    microfuse F402 is blown for the DSP focus servo or if the optical pickup is
    marginal. This procedure will not make the DVP-S360 read CD-R discs, either.

    Also, remember to follow all on-screen instructions precisely and to the
    letter.

    ***DO NOT ACCESS ANY OTHER PARTS OF THE SERVICE MENU UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY
    WHAT YOU ARE DOING.*** Alteration of any of the service menu settings outside
    automatic calibration of the optics may result in irreparable player damage. -
    Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Sep 7, 2003