    Explorer says File System is RAW, no Used Space and no Free Space, Capacity
    0 bytes.

    Can anyone suggest a reason/solution?
    Justin Thyme, Jan 25, 2007

  2. Justin Thyme wrote:
    > I have transferred some old Betamax home video onto DVD+RW with my Philips
    > DVD recorder. It plays back fine on the recorder and on a DVD player. I
    > want to burn another copy but my PC won't read the disc. Explorer won't read
    > it nor will Nero or Ashampoo Burning Studio. In every other way the drive
    > seems to read discs without problem.
    >
    > Explorer says File System is RAW, no Used Space and no Free Space, Capacity
    > 0 bytes.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a reason/solution?

    Did you finalize the disc on your recorder?

    Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

    A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
    (The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

    "Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
    --LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

    "Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
    minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
    a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
    --me

    "This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
    --Tony Bourdain

    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
    but at the very least you need a beer."
    -- Frank Zappa

    "I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
    it's the best thing in the world."
    -- Alton Brown

    "The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
    that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
    wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
    prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
    this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
    the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
    all history."
    -- Robert Heinlein
    Geena Phillips, Jan 25, 2007

  3. Justin Thyme

    Justin Thyme Guest

    "Geena Phillips" <> wrote in message
    >> Did you finalize the disc on your recorder?

    Thanks. I thought re-writables didn't have to be finalized. Am I wrong?
    Justin Thyme, Jan 25, 2007
  4. "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message

    > "Geena Phillips" <> wrote in message
    >>> Did you finalize the disc on your recorder?

    >> --
    >> --

    > Thanks. I thought re-writables didn't have to be finalized. Am I wrong?

    There is a terminology issue here
    For a free standing dvd recorder, 'finalize' means much the same as 'make
    compatible'.
    Whether it is +r or +rw, the freestanding recorder needs to write some
    'stuff' to make the dvd into one that free standing dvd players can read.
    No big deal - takes about 2 minutes

    Stuart
    Stuart Miller, Jan 25, 2007
  5. Justin Thyme

    Justin Thyme Guest

    "Stuart Miller" <> wrote in message

    > "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Geena Phillips" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> --

    >> Thanks. I thought re-writables didn't have to be finalized. Am I wrong?

    > There is a terminology issue here
    > For a free standing dvd recorder, 'finalize' means much the same as 'make
    > compatible'.
    > Whether it is +r or +rw, the freestanding recorder needs to write some
    > 'stuff' to make the dvd into one that free standing dvd players can read.
    > No big deal - takes about 2 minutes
    >
    > Stuart

    Tried disc in laptop and it works. Seemingly a compatibility problem
    between NEC DVD drive and Philips DVD+RW discs. Wonder if anyone else has
    experienced similar problem.

    Just Googled NEC Philips DVD and found this on Amazon site, referring to the
    same discs!

    Troublesome!, 14 Mar 2005

    Reviewer: "reviewfan" - See all my reviews

    I bought 25 of these disks, in DVD media cases, but have had a number of
    problems both in my Ellion 530S DVD recorder and NEC PC burner.
    I bought them because they were such good value, but upon reflection, I wish
    I'd gone for another brand.

    Recordings have disappeared, or become unreadable from both the burner and,
    even more annoyingly, the DVD Recorder. The PC burner has even locked-up and
    had to be reinstalled twice, and in general the disks have proved
    troublesome.

    A friend has just tried the same disks and has had similar problems.

    Unless these are dirt-cheap and you aren't relying on them for a "one-hit"
    recording, I'd avoid them..!

    Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)
    Justin Thyme, Jan 25, 2007