DVD play "Stutter"...?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Kenneth, Jul 8, 2004.

  1. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Howdy,

    I am having an intermittent problem playing DVDs on my Dell Latitude
    notebook.

    Often, when I attempt to play a DVD the audio and video stop for a
    moment every 4 or 5 seconds.

    At first, I thought that this was due to insufficient free disk space,
    but that seems not to be the case. Also, the problem is truly
    intermittent (with the same DVD).

    What might I do to solve the problem?

    Thanks for any tips,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Kenneth

    Nosferax Guest

    "FAQmeister" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > "Kenneth" <> wrote in message
    > > Howdy,
    > >
    > > I am having an intermittent problem playing DVDs on my Dell Latitude
    > > notebook.
    > >
    > > Often, when I attempt to play a DVD the audio and video stop for a
    > > moment every 4 or 5 seconds.
    > >
    > > At first, I thought that this was due to insufficient free disk space,
    > > but that seems not to be the case. Also, the problem is truly
    > > intermittent (with the same DVD).
    > >
    > > What might I do to solve the problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any tips,

    Check to see if you have DMA activated for this drive. Sometimes that help.
    Also, I had the same problem once with a Compaq notebook and heat was the
    problem. I was watching a movie in my bed (no, not porn!) and there wasn't
    enouogh airflow to cool the machine.
    Nosferax, Jul 8, 2004

  3. Kenneth

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Kenneth" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy,
    >
    > I am having an intermittent problem playing DVDs on my Dell Latitude
    > notebook.
    >
    > Often, when I attempt to play a DVD the audio and video stop for a
    > moment every 4 or 5 seconds.
    >
    > At first, I thought that this was due to insufficient free disk space,
    > but that seems not to be the case. Also, the problem is truly
    > intermittent (with the same DVD).
    >
    > What might I do to solve the problem?
    >
    > Thanks for any tips,

    It's possible that you have stuff running in the background (like
    trojans) that are interfering with playback, but if you don't notice a
    problem with any other programs then that's probably not it. Wouldn't
    hurt to download and run Ad Aware and Spybot though if you don't already
    have them.

    If you're having the same problems with more than one DVD that's a sign
    of a crappy DVD player or a real problem with a good DVD player. Has it
    ever worked properly? If so, I suppose you could try spraying a little
    compressed air into it. If that doesn't help, the only way I know of
    completely eliminating a software issue is by doing a clean install of
    Windows and running some tests. If you eliminate the software then
    you're left with a bad DVD player.

    Or you can just take it to a repair place for evaluation and let them
    decide.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    FAQmeister, Jul 8, 2004
  4. Well, a DVD played on anything apart from a dedicated DVD player is a
    compromise. It seems to be the same with DVD-ROM-based players, like
    the cheap imports or the PS2s, X-Boxs, etc., that they can only take so
    much constant playing (when running software off a DVD-ROM the disc is
    not *always* spinning like during DVD playback), and movie-watching is a
    real workout for those drives. Every friend of mine who had a PS2 and
    used it for DVD playback was in need of a new PS2 after a few years.

    I suspect your PC's DVD-ROM drive could just be wearing out. Or maybe
    the lens needs cleaning (although some experts say DVD lenses don't need
    cleaning or alignment, or that you shouldn't use a CD lens cleaner as
    the DVD lens is a different shape and could be damaged, or something).

    IF you ultimately discover your drive has worn out, I'd do some research
    and get a more dependable one.

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis
    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 8, 2004
  5. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:22:41 GMT, "Nosferax"
    <> wrote:

    >"FAQmeister" <> a écrit dans le message de
    >> "Kenneth" <> wrote in message
    >> > Howdy,
    >> >
    >> > I am having an intermittent problem playing DVDs on my Dell Latitude
    >> > notebook.
    >> >
    >> > Often, when I attempt to play a DVD the audio and video stop for a
    >> > moment every 4 or 5 seconds.
    >> >
    >> > At first, I thought that this was due to insufficient free disk space,
    >> > but that seems not to be the case. Also, the problem is truly
    >> > intermittent (with the same DVD).
    >> >
    >> > What might I do to solve the problem?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any tips,

    >Check to see if you have DMA activated for this drive. Sometimes that help.
    >Also, I had the same problem once with a Compaq notebook and heat was the
    >problem. I was watching a movie in my bed (no, not porn!) and there wasn't
    >enouogh airflow to cool the machine.

    Howdy,

    I just read the helpfile about DMA. but cannot figure out how I would
    know if it is activated for the DVD drive in question. I am running
    Win 2k Pro.

    Might you assist?

    Thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Jul 8, 2004
  6. Nosferax wrote:
    > Check to see if you have DMA activated for this drive. Sometimes that help.
    > Also, I had the same problem once with a Compaq notebook and heat was the
    > problem. I was watching a movie in my bed (no, not porn!) and there wasn't
    > enouogh airflow to cool the machine.

    Movie watching in bed, now there's something I miss (my bedroom is a bad
    place for a tv).

    I used to put in a six-hour tape of MST3K episodes and go to sleep
    letting it run. :)

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 8, 2004
  7. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:27:01 -0700, "FAQmeister"
    <> wrote:

    >"Kenneth" <> wrote in message
    >> Howdy,
    >>
    >> I am having an intermittent problem playing DVDs on my Dell Latitude
    >> notebook.
    >>
    >> Often, when I attempt to play a DVD the audio and video stop for a
    >> moment every 4 or 5 seconds.
    >>
    >> At first, I thought that this was due to insufficient free disk space,
    >> but that seems not to be the case. Also, the problem is truly
    >> intermittent (with the same DVD).
    >>
    >> What might I do to solve the problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any tips,

    >It's possible that you have stuff running in the background (like
    >trojans) that are interfering with playback, but if you don't notice a
    >problem with any other programs then that's probably not it. Wouldn't
    >hurt to download and run Ad Aware and Spybot though if you don't already
    >have them.
    >
    >If you're having the same problems with more than one DVD that's a sign
    >of a crappy DVD player or a real problem with a good DVD player. Has it
    >ever worked properly? If so, I suppose you could try spraying a little
    >compressed air into it. If that doesn't help, the only way I know of
    >completely eliminating a software issue is by doing a clean install of
    >Windows and running some tests. If you eliminate the software then
    >you're left with a bad DVD player.
    >
    >Or you can just take it to a repair place for evaluation and let them
    >decide.

    Howdy,

    I thank you for your suggestions, but should have mentioned in my OP
    that I regularly run Ad Aware, Spyware Blaster etc.

    The fact that the "stutters" are very uniform in timing leads me to
    believe that it is not a mechanical problem.

    I will keep looking...

    All the best,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Jul 8, 2004
  8. Kenneth

    Nosferax Guest

    "Kenneth" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:22:41 GMT, "Nosferax"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"FAQmeister" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > >> "Kenneth" <> wrote in message

    space,

    > >Check to see if you have DMA activated for this drive. Sometimes that

    help.
    > >Also, I had the same problem once with a Compaq notebook and heat was the
    > >problem. I was watching a movie in my bed (no, not porn!) and there

    wasn't
    > >enouogh airflow to cool the machine.
    > >

    > Howdy,
    >
    > I just read the helpfile about DMA. but cannot figure out how I would
    > know if it is activated for the DVD drive in question. I am running
    > Win 2k Pro.
    >
    > Might you assist?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Kenneth
    >
    > If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

    -Right click my computer.
    - Property
    - Hardware
    - Hardware manager
    - ATA/ATAPI IDE controller
    - Principal or secondary IDE Chanel
    - Property
    - Advance

    Now, check if DMA is activated for those channel.
    Nosferax, Jul 8, 2004
  9. Kenneth

    Nosferax Guest

    > Movie watching in bed, now there's something I miss (my bedroom is a bad
    > place for a tv).
    >
    > I used to put in a six-hour tape of MST3K episodes and go to sleep
    > letting it run. :)
    >
    > --

    A laptop is really nice for this stuff. I did a buffy marathon once like
    that once I was sick. The whole 7 season worth in bed. I got up only to eat,
    shower and for bathroom break.
    Nosferax, Jul 8, 2004
  10. Kenneth

    NightStalker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Howdy,
    >
    > I am having an intermittent problem playing DVDs on my Dell Latitude
    > notebook.
    >
    > Often, when I attempt to play a DVD the audio and video stop for a
    > moment every 4 or 5 seconds.
    >
    > At first, I thought that this was due to insufficient free disk space,
    > but that seems not to be the case. Also, the problem is truly
    > intermittent (with the same DVD).
    >
    > What might I do to solve the problem?
    >
    > Thanks for any tips,

    ?Anti-virus running in the background?

    Some other background program like GoBack?

    Has to be either a background program running, or a caching problem. If
    DMA is turned on, then check out DVDIdlePro - it provides superior
    caching and also allows region-free playback.

    http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-idle.htm

    --

    NightStalker
    NightStalker, Jul 8, 2004
  11. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 06:48:54 +1000, NightStalker
    <> wrote:

    >If
    >DMA is turned on, then check out DVDIdlePro - it provides superior
    >caching and also allows region-free playback.

    Howdy,

    I am running Win 2K pro. Can you possibly tell me how to learn if the
    device is using DMA? The helpfile tells me nothing, and when I view
    the properties of the DVD reader in Device Manager, I can find no
    setting relating to DMA.

    Sincere thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Jul 8, 2004
  12. Nosferax wrote:
    > A laptop is really nice for this stuff. I did a buffy marathon once like
    > that once I was sick. The whole 7 season worth in bed. I got up only to eat,
    > shower and for bathroom break.

    Never seen Buffy. But I could go for a season of DS9. In fact I used
    to watch BlackAdder at night (in bed), over and over and over (and
    over). I got bored at work during the day and would replay episodes in
    my head to pass the time. Nerdy and sad, I know.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 8, 2004
  13. Kenneth wrote:
    > Howdy,
    >
    > I thank you for your suggestions, but should have mentioned in my OP
    > that I regularly run Ad Aware, Spyware Blaster etc.
    >
    > The fact that the "stutters" are very uniform in timing leads me to
    > believe that it is not a mechanical problem.
    >
    > I will keep looking...
    >
    > All the best,

    As far as spyware goes, you get what you pay for. I tried the free
    stuff and it didn't work. I had to shell out thirty bucks for
    Spysweeper, and set it to run it at least once every 24 hours, as well
    as keep the spyware-detecting daemons run all the time.

    Now my PC is virtually spyware free, I don't see any slowdown, pop ups,
    and only occassionaly does my computer show a spyware client on my HD.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 8, 2004
  14. Kenneth

    Nosferax Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > Nosferax wrote:
    > > A laptop is really nice for this stuff. I did a buffy marathon once like
    > > that once I was sick. The whole 7 season worth in bed. I got up only to

    eat,
    > > shower and for bathroom break.

    > Never seen Buffy. But I could go for a season of DS9. In fact I used
    > to watch BlackAdder at night (in bed), over and over and over (and
    > over). I got bored at work during the day and would replay episodes in
    > my head to pass the time. Nerdy and sad, I know.

    I never did watch Buffy on TV. Way too much commercial break and I also
    don't like the way TV series are distributed (2 new eps then a couple of
    re-run, then 2 more new eps.). I did see the movie in theather when it was
    release and I bought the box set of the serie as soon as they were release
    here or in europe. Being able to watch this serie one eps after the other
    really immerse you in the serie. Same thing for Angel and Babylon-5.
    Nosferax, Jul 9, 2004
  15. Kenneth

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <p0kHc.195046$>,
    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    > Never seen Buffy.

    Ignore what ignorant critics tell you about the show and give it a try.
    It truly does feature fantastic writing, characters, acting and
    production value; all set in a somewhat silly fantasy world. Once you
    get past the dumb name, you'll quickly realize it's a very deep,
    engrossing show. You really will start caring about the characters and
    what happens to them each week. If you have any friends who are into the
    show, ask them if you can borrow one of their DVD sets. I would
    recommend to start with either season 2, 3 or 5. You should probably
    start with season 2 since it's early in the series run and will setup
    all the story arcs and mythology of the show without confusing you too
    much. The other seasons are good as well, but these seasons are the best
    IMO and the best for Buffy beginners just to see how great the show can
    be.
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Jul 13, 2004