DVD pausing problem

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Richard Fangnail, Mar 1, 2010.

  1. I just bought a used DVD and it sometimes would freeze for a moment
    and then continue. This happened a number of times but never twice in
    the same place. What would cause that? Of course I cleaned the disc
    carefully.

    If it was because of a physical defect, wouldn't it happen in the same
    place every time??

    It happened around the same scene, if that matters.
    Richard Fangnail, Mar 1, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Richard Fangnail

    Guest

    George Kerby <> wrote:

    > A friend takes some slightly diluted automobile rubbing compound and rubs
    > it on the surface of scratched disks. It takes the edge off the scratch
    > and usually corrects the problem.


    I wouldn't use rubbing compound first, it's pretty gritty.
    First I would use tooth paste, then polishing compound,
    then go to rubbing compound as a last resort.

    Chip

    --
    -------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ --------------------
    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
    , Mar 2, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Richard Fangnail

    Guest

    George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 3/2/10 9:45 AM, in article 20100302103258.743$,
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    > > George Kerby <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> A friend takes some slightly diluted automobile rubbing compound and
    > >> rubs it on the surface of scratched disks. It takes the edge off the
    > >> scratch and usually corrects the problem.

    > >
    > > I wouldn't use rubbing compound first, it's pretty gritty.
    > > First I would use tooth paste, then polishing compound,
    > > then go to rubbing compound as a last resort.
    > >
    > > Chip

    >
    > You're right, Chip. I meant to say polishing compound. At the time I
    > wrote this, I was doing a bad job of multitasking. Never thought about
    > toothpaste: Thanks for the tip.


    Sure! BTW, the same holds true for windshield scratches,
    but I don't think I would use rubbing compound on them.

    Chip

    --
    -------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ --------------------
    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
    , Mar 2, 2010
    #3
  4. On Mar 1, 7:55 pm, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr." <>
    wrote:
    > "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...>I just bought a used DVD and it sometimes would freeze for a moment
    > > and then continue.  This happened a number of times but never twice in
    > > the same place.  What would cause that?  Of course I cleaned the disc
    > > carefully.

    >
    > Any scratches on the read side of the disc? DVD players are extremely
    > unreliable if there is anything more than a small radial scratch or two on
    > the disc.
    >
    > > If it was because of a physical defect, wouldn't it happen in the same
    > > place every time??

    >
    > If it was a physical defect, such as a scratch. Another possibility is early
    > symptoms of laser rot. Hold the disc vertically and look at it in bright
    > light. Is it shiny and reflective, or is it somewhat cloudy?
    >

    There is a small area that is slightly cloudy, almost like a
    fingerprint, though I tried to clean it.
    It's a DVD of "Heat" which was released quite a while ago.
    Richard Fangnail, Mar 2, 2010
    #4
  5. On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 08:03:43 -0800 (PST), Richard Fangnail
    <> wrote:

    >I just bought a used DVD and it sometimes would freeze for a moment
    >and then continue. This happened a number of times but never twice in
    >the same place. What would cause that? Of course I cleaned the disc
    >carefully.
    >
    >If it was because of a physical defect, wouldn't it happen in the same
    >place every time??
    >
    >It happened around the same scene, if that matters.



    Watching on the PC, or from a real DVD player?
    Lil Red Riding In The Hood, Mar 4, 2010
    #5
  6. On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 09:44:42 -0800 (PST), Richard Fangnail
    <> wrote:

    >On Mar 1, 7:55 pm, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr." <>
    >wrote:
    >> "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:...>I just bought a used DVD and it sometimes would freeze for a moment
    >> > and then continue.  This happened a number of times but never twice in
    >> > the same place.  What would cause that?  Of course I cleaned the disc
    >> > carefully.

    >>
    >> Any scratches on the read side of the disc? DVD players are extremely
    >> unreliable if there is anything more than a small radial scratch or two on
    >> the disc.
    >>
    >> > If it was because of a physical defect, wouldn't it happen in the same
    >> > place every time??

    >>
    >> If it was a physical defect, such as a scratch. Another possibility is early
    >> symptoms of laser rot. Hold the disc vertically and look at it in bright
    >> light. Is it shiny and reflective, or is it somewhat cloudy?
    >>

    >There is a small area that is slightly cloudy, almost like a
    >fingerprint, though I tried to clean it.
    >It's a DVD of "Heat" which was released quite a while ago.



    Get a friend to rent it from netflix and return that one instead.
    Lil Red Riding In The Hood, Mar 4, 2010
    #6
  7. Richard Fangnail

    UCLAN Guest

    Lil Red Riding In The Hood wrote:

    >> There is a small area that is slightly cloudy, almost like a fingerprint,
    >> though I tried to clean it. It's a DVD of "Heat" which was released quite
    >> a while ago.

    >
    > Get a friend to rent it from netflix and return that one instead.


    After you go to the expense of adding all of the Netflix identifiers
    to the disc, of course. What? You think they're stupid?
    UCLAN, Mar 4, 2010
    #7
  8. On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 21:04:26 -0800, UCLAN <> wrote:

    >Lil Red Riding In The Hood wrote:
    >
    >>> There is a small area that is slightly cloudy, almost like a fingerprint,
    >>> though I tried to clean it. It's a DVD of "Heat" which was released quite
    >>> a while ago.

    >>
    >> Get a friend to rent it from netflix and return that one instead.

    >
    >After you go to the expense of adding all of the Netflix identifiers
    >to the disc, of course. What? You think they're stupid?



    Then do it with a local rental store.
    Lil Red Riding In The Hood, Mar 4, 2010
    #8
  9. Richard Fangnail

    GMAN Guest

    In article <9bHjn.6601$>, UCLAN <> wrote:
    >Lil Red Riding In The Hood wrote:
    >
    >>> There is a small area that is slightly cloudy, almost like a fingerprint,
    >>> though I tried to clean it. It's a DVD of "Heat" which was released quite
    >>> a while ago.

    >>
    >> Get a friend to rent it from netflix and return that one instead.

    >
    >After you go to the expense of adding all of the Netflix identifiers
    >to the disc, of course. What? You think they're stupid?

    Agreed, there was a local video rental store around here (Remember those?)
    that used to put UV sensitive paint on the bottom of the hubs of the video
    tapes so that when they were reurned , they just had to hold it to a UV
    lightsource to see if someone had opened the tape and exchanged a copy
    into the case. They had alot of that happen back then when those dual Go Video
    VCR's popped into the market. Many of the tapes back then were still rental
    only, $99 wonders.


    I am very sure there are some similar measures to make sure they get back the
    DVD's that they ship.
    GMAN, Mar 4, 2010
    #9
  10. Richard Fangnail

    UCLAN Guest

    GMAN wrote:

    > I am very sure there are some similar measures to make sure they get back the
    > DVD's that they ship.


    Oh, there is. A bar code and a white ring on the center of the disc.
    UCLAN, Mar 4, 2010
    #10
  11. On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:43:01 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >In article <9bHjn.6601$>, UCLAN <> wrote:
    >>Lil Red Riding In The Hood wrote:
    >>
    >>>> There is a small area that is slightly cloudy, almost like a fingerprint,
    >>>> though I tried to clean it. It's a DVD of "Heat" which was released quite
    >>>> a while ago.
    >>>
    >>> Get a friend to rent it from netflix and return that one instead.

    >>
    >>After you go to the expense of adding all of the Netflix identifiers
    >>to the disc, of course. What? You think they're stupid?

    >Agreed, there was a local video rental store around here (Remember those?)
    >that used to put UV sensitive paint on the bottom of the hubs of the video
    >tapes so that when they were reurned , they just had to hold it to a UV
    >lightsource to see if someone had opened the tape and exchanged a copy
    >into the case. They had alot of that happen back then when those dual Go Video
    >VCR's popped into the market. Many of the tapes back then were still rental
    >only, $99 wonders.
    >
    >
    > I am very sure there are some similar measures to make sure they get back the
    >DVD's that they ship.



    LOCAL and SHIP do not go together, ShipDip.
    Lil Red Riding In The Hood, Mar 5, 2010
    #11
  12. Richard Fangnail

    FatBytestard Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:54:45 -0800, UCLAN <> wrote:

    >GMAN wrote:
    >
    >> I am very sure there are some similar measures to make sure they get back the
    >> DVD's that they ship.

    >
    >Oh, there is. A bar code and a white ring on the center of the disc.



    Those are placed by the DVD maker, and are unique to the title, NOT the
    fucking disc, idiot.
    FatBytestard, Mar 5, 2010
    #12
  13. Richard Fangnail

    UCLAN Guest

    FatBytestard wrote:

    >>> I am very sure there are some similar measures to make sure they get back the
    >>>DVD's that they ship.

    >>
    >>Oh, there is. A bar code and a white ring on the center of the disc.

    >
    > Those are placed by the DVD maker, and are unique to the title, NOT the
    > fucking disc, idiot.


    Odd that none of my purchased DVDs have them.
    UCLAN, Mar 5, 2010
    #13
  14. Richard Fangnail

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:54:45 -0800, UCLAN <> wrote:
    >
    >>GMAN wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am very sure there are some similar measures to make sure they get back

    > the
    >>> DVD's that they ship.

    >>
    >>Oh, there is. A bar code and a white ring on the center of the disc.

    >
    >
    > Those are placed by the DVD maker, and are unique to the title, NOT the
    >fucking disc, idiot.

    Name 1 DVD presser that places a paper label and paper bar code on the disk?
    GMAN, Mar 5, 2010
    #14
  15. Richard Fangnail

    UCLAN Guest

    Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:

    >>>>> I am very sure there are some similar measures to make sure they
    >>>>> get back the DVD's that they ship.
    >>>>
    >>>> Oh, there is. A bar code and a white ring on the center of the disc.
    >>>
    >>> Those are placed by the DVD maker, and are unique to the title, NOT
    >>> the
    >>> fucking disc, idiot.

    >>
    >> Odd that none of my purchased DVDs have them.

    >
    > You aren't looking hard enough or you're not looking in the right place.
    >
    > Example #1: Drumline Special Edition DVD. Numbers and barcoding appear
    > on the playing side of the disc, surrounding a white ring that surrounds
    > the center hole.
    >
    > Example #2: Entrapment Special Edition DVD. Similar to Drumline Special
    > Edition DVD, the numbers and barcoding appear in a similar location on
    > the playing side.
    >
    > Example #3: The Fugitive DVD. Numbers and barcoding are partially
    > visible from the label side and even more visible from the playing side
    > (barcoding on that disc looks like blocky morse code style dots and
    > dashes).
    >
    > Note that the barcoding and white ring may be obscured if the label
    > covers all the label side of the disc except for the center hole. Flip
    > the disc over to the playing side, and hold the disc at an angle under
    > reasonably bright light to see the numbers and barcoding.


    Completely different ring/bar code. Netflix puts an Avery type white label
    *ON TOP OF* the ordinary disc title label on the label side of the disc.
    This label is *NEVER* "obscured" by the manufacturers title label. It is
    on *TOP* of the manufacturers title label. For example, the film "2012"
    (nifty special effects; otherwise blah) has a white Avery type round label
    on top of the black/gray disc title label. It has the title "2012" and the
    letter "N" on the top portion of the label, and a bar code with the number
    554 at the bottom. The white Netflix disc sleeve also has a bar code and
    the number 207554 at the top, with the number 554 surrounded by a square.
    These numbers are not related to any disc ASIN or UPC numbers.

    I have checked this on my last two Netflix rentals, as well as close to
    a dozen purchased discs.
    UCLAN, Mar 5, 2010
    #15
  16. Richard Fangnail

    FatBytestard Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 19:50:48 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, wrote:
    >>On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:54:45 -0800, UCLAN <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>GMAN wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I am very sure there are some similar measures to make sure they get back

    >> the
    >>>> DVD's that they ship.
    >>>
    >>>Oh, there is. A bar code and a white ring on the center of the disc.

    >>
    >>
    >> Those are placed by the DVD maker, and are unique to the title, NOT the
    >>fucking disc, idiot.

    >Name 1 DVD presser that places a paper label and paper bar code on the disk?



    Obviously, you fucking retarded twit, I am not referring to any added
    fucktard label that you fucktard rental retards are used to seeing.

    I am talking about the disc, as pressed has ident encoding rings on
    them at the hub. If your rental retard paradigm dumbfuck slaps a label
    on them after that, it is your problem, and theirs, not mine.
    FatBytestard, Mar 6, 2010
    #16
  17. Richard Fangnail

    FatBytestard Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 12:03:54 -0800, UCLAN <> wrote:

    >
    >Completely different ring/bar code. Netflix puts an Avery type white label
    >*ON TOP OF* the ordinary disc title label on the label side of the disc.



    Then they are retarded as well. So is any idiot that would have a
    problem reproducing one.

    It would take me less than ten minutes, and that is only because I
    would have to go find my camera, and add fresh batteries to it.
    FatBytestard, Mar 6, 2010
    #17
  18. Richard Fangnail

    Chick Tower Guest

    On 2010-03-05, FatBytestard <> wrote:
    > Those are placed by the DVD maker, and are unique to the title, NOT the
    > fucking disc, idiot.


    These people from alt.video.dvd are such pleasant folk.
    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: avdtv DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net
    Chick Tower, Mar 6, 2010
    #18
  19. Richard Fangnail

    UCLAN Guest

    Chick Tower wrote:

    > On 2010-03-05, FatBytestard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Those are placed by the DVD maker, and are unique to the title, NOT the
    >>fucking disc, idiot.

    >
    > These people from alt.video.dvd are such pleasant folk.


    FatBytestard is a known troll in several groups. Ignore him.
    UCLAN, Mar 7, 2010
    #19
  20. Richard Fangnail

    FatBytestard Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 21:43:55 +0000 (UTC), Chick Tower
    <> wrote:

    >On 2010-03-05, FatBytestard <> wrote:
    >> Those are placed by the DVD maker, and are unique to the title, NOT the
    >> fucking disc, idiot.

    >
    >These people from alt.video.dvd are such pleasant folk.



    With a stupid nym like that, you should go back to the chat rooms.
    FatBytestard, Mar 7, 2010
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?=

    Wireless keeps pausing

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?=, Oct 20, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    515
    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?=
    Oct 20, 2005
  2. PL+CL

    pausing Avast

    PL+CL, Nov 4, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    472
    PL+CL
    Nov 4, 2003
  3. David Geesaman

    DVD Stuttering and pausing

    David Geesaman, Nov 17, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    3,801
    David Geesaman
    Nov 18, 2003
  4. Yellow Submarine

    Pausing a DVD

    Yellow Submarine, Apr 26, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    938
    Dogger the Filmgoblin
    May 6, 2004
  5. Ferg

    Pausing problem

    Ferg, Aug 15, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    443
Loading...

Share This Page