    play on their player. This leads me to believe it's a VCD not a DVD.
    Is there a way I can tell if it's in VCD format? Like by opening it on
    the computer or something?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D0=EF=C5=DF=F6=A5=F8=A7=A9?=, Sep 29, 2006

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D0=EF=C5=DF=F6=A5=F8=A7=A9?=

    Jukka Aho Guest

    ÐïÅßö¥ø§© wrote:

    > A family member got a company to put 3 VHS tapes onto a DVD but it
    > won't play on their player. This leads me to believe it's a VCD not
    > a DVD.

    Some (old) players don't read DVD-R discs. Some others don't read DVD+R
    discs. So it could also be the media.

    > Is there a way I can tell if it's in VCD format? Like by
    > opening it on the computer or something?

    Open it on a computer and check the properties. DVDs have (at least) 4
    GB on them. CDs have less than 700 MB.

    The filenames will also reveal the format of the disc. DVDs have a
    folder called "VIDEO_TS", and "*.IFO", "*.BUP", and "*.VOB" files in it.
    VCDs have folders like "VCD", "MPEGAV", and "SEGMENT".

    --
    znark

    Jukka Aho, Sep 29, 2006

  3. Jukka Aho wrote:
    > ÐïÅßö¥ø§© wrote:
    >
    >> A family member got a company to put 3 VHS tapes onto a DVD but it
    >> won't play on their player. This leads me to believe it's a VCD not
    >> a DVD.

    > Some (old) players don't read DVD-R discs. Some others don't read DVD+R
    > discs. So it could also be the media.
    >
    >> Is there a way I can tell if it's in VCD format? Like by
    >> opening it on the computer or something?

    > Open it on a computer and check the properties. DVDs have (at least) 4
    > GB on them. CDs have less than 700 MB.
    >
    > The filenames will also reveal the format of the disc. DVDs have a
    > folder called "VIDEO_TS", and "*.IFO", "*.BUP", and "*.VOB" files in it.
    > VCDs have folders like "VCD", "MPEGAV", and "SEGMENT".

    Outstanding info Jukka thank you so much. The disc had over 4.3 gigs as
    well as a Video_RM and Video_TS folders with IFO, BUP, and VOB files in
    them so I guess it is in DVD format. They used special company DVD's
    that don't state if they are in + or - format so I'll look further into
    that. Once again thanks a million!

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D0=EF=C5=DF=F6=A5=F8=A7=A9?=, Sep 29, 2006
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D0=EF=C5=DF=F6=A5=F8=A7=A9?=

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 07:23:31 GMT,
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D0=EF=C5=DF=F6=A5=F8=A7=A9?= <> wrote:

    >The disc had over 4.3 gigs as
    >well as a Video_RM and Video_TS folders with IFO, BUP, and VOB files in
    >them so I guess it is in DVD format. They used special company DVD's
    >that don't state if they are in + or - format so I'll look further into
    >that.

    Use Nero CD Speed to find out what kind of DVD disc it is.

    --

    Govt is an insult to human dignity. With or without govt,
    you would have good people doing good things and evil

    Citizen Bob, Sep 29, 2006
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D0=EF=C5=DF=F6=A5=F8=A7=A9?=

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    ÐïÅßö¥ø§© wrote:
    > Jukka Aho wrote:
    >> ÐïÅßö¥ø§© wrote:
    >>
    >>> A family member got a company to put 3 VHS tapes onto a DVD but it
    >>> won't play on their player. This leads me to believe it's a VCD not
    >>> a DVD.

    >> Some (old) players don't read DVD-R discs. Some others don't read
    >> DVD+R discs. So it could also be the media.
    >>
    >>> Is there a way I can tell if it's in VCD format? Like by
    >>> opening it on the computer or something?

    >> Open it on a computer and check the properties. DVDs have (at least) 4
    >> GB on them. CDs have less than 700 MB.
    >>
    >> The filenames will also reveal the format of the disc. DVDs have a
    >> folder called "VIDEO_TS", and "*.IFO", "*.BUP", and "*.VOB" files in
    >> it. VCDs have folders like "VCD", "MPEGAV", and "SEGMENT".
    >>

    > Outstanding info Jukka thank you so much. The disc had over 4.3 gigs as
    > well as a Video_RM and Video_TS folders with IFO, BUP, and VOB files in
    > them so I guess it is in DVD format. They used special company DVD's
    > that don't state if they are in + or - format so I'll look further into
    > that. Once again thanks a million!

    That explains a fair bit then. If it has a Video_RM folder it was
    recorded on a set top recorder so is probably in VR mode which does give
    problems in some older players.

    If you have a DVD burner and Nero, it is a fairly easy process to make a
    "proper" DVD from it.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Sep 30, 2006
  6. Oldus Fartus wrote:
    > ÐïÅßö¥ø§© wrote:
    >> Jukka Aho wrote:

    >>> Some (old) players don't read DVD-R discs. Some others don't read
    >>> DVD+R discs. So it could also be the media.

    >>> Open it on a computer and check the properties. DVDs have (at least)
    >>> 4 GB on them. CDs have less than 700 MB.
    >>>
    >>> The filenames will also reveal the format of the disc. DVDs have a
    >>> folder called "VIDEO_TS", and "*.IFO", "*.BUP", and "*.VOB" files in
    >>> it. VCDs have folders like "VCD", "MPEGAV", and "SEGMENT".
    >>>

    >> Outstanding info Jukka thank you so much. The disc had over 4.3 gigs
    >> as well as a Video_RM and Video_TS folders with IFO, BUP, and VOB
    >> files in them so I guess it is in DVD format. They used special
    >> company DVD's that don't state if they are in + or - format so I'll
    >> look further into that. Once again thanks a million!

    > That explains a fair bit then. If it has a Video_RM folder it was
    > recorded on a set top recorder so is probably in VR mode which does give
    > problems in some older players.
    >
    > If you have a DVD burner and Nero, it is a fairly easy process to make a
    > "proper" DVD from it.

    Can you explain what this set top recorder is and what VR mode is? I do
    have a DVD burner and Nero. Can you explain how to make a proper DVD
    from this? Would simply making a DVD copy using Nero make it right or
    do I have to tweak it somehow?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D0=EF=C5=DF=F6=A5=F8=A7=A9?=, Sep 30, 2006
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D0=EF=C5=DF=F6=A5=F8=A7=A9?=

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    ÐïÅßö¥ø§© wrote:
    > Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >> ÐïÅßö¥ø§© wrote:

    >>> Outstanding info Jukka thank you so much. The disc had over 4.3 gigs
    >>> as well as a Video_RM and Video_TS folders with IFO, BUP, and VOB
    >>> files in them so I guess it is in DVD format. They used special
    >>> company DVD's that don't state if they are in + or - format so I'll
    >>> look further into that. Once again thanks a million!

    >> That explains a fair bit then. If it has a Video_RM folder it was
    >> recorded on a set top recorder so is probably in VR mode which does
    >> give problems in some older players.
    >>
    >> If you have a DVD burner and Nero, it is a fairly easy process to make
    >> a "proper" DVD from it.
    >>

    > Can you explain what this set top recorder is and what VR mode is? I do
    > have a DVD burner and Nero. Can you explain how to make a proper DVD
    > from this? Would simply making a DVD copy using Nero make it right or
    > do I have to tweak it somehow?

    A set top recorder is basically the DVD equivalent to the old VCR, and
    generally record in VR format, which although normally playable in stand
    alone players, may sometimes cause a few problems.

    To convert I generally use Nero Vision express. Choose Make Your Own
    DVD-Video.
    At the next screen choose Add Video Files and in the window which opens
    navigate to the DVD holding your movies.
    Open the Video_TS folder on the DVD and select all the VOB files except
    for the VIDEO_TS.VOB, click on OPEN. (Ignore the BUP and IFO files.)
    Nero will take some time, but eventually you will end up with your
    titles showing in the Content window.
    Click on Next, then follow your preferences in making a basic menu, or
    choose to not have a menu, click Next again and follow your nose. All
    the instructions are clearly shown.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Sep 30, 2006
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D0=EF=C5=DF=F6=A5=F8=A7=A9?=

    Jukka Aho Guest

    ÐïÅßö¥ø§© wrote:

    >> If it has a Video_RM folder it was recorded on a set top recorder so
    >> is probably in VR mode which does give problems in some older
    >> players.
    >>
    >> If you have a DVD burner and Nero, it is a fairly easy process to
    >> make a "proper" DVD from it.

    > Can you explain what this set top recorder is and what VR mode is?

    "Set top recorder" is a stand-alone device for recording DVDs - one that
    works autonomously, without there being a PC involved. Much like a
    normal DVD player, but with a recording capability.

    "VR mode" is supposedly some kind of intermediate or auxiliary data
    format used by these stand-alone recorders to facilitate direct on-line
    recording. The DVD video format was not originally designed with direct
    on-line recording in mind.

    (The problem lies in that with stand-alone DVD recorders, arbitrary
    video clips will be recorded on the disc, possibly in a number of
    separate recording sessions, without knowing in advance how long they
    will be or how many of them the final disc will contain. The original
    DVD video format was designed on the presupposition that the contents of
    the disc be fully known in advance and set in stone before any of the
    data structures on the disc will be produced.)

    > I do have a DVD burner and Nero. Can you explain how to make a proper
    > DVD from this? Would simply making a DVD copy using Nero make it
    > right or do I have to tweak it somehow?

    I have not had to deal with discs produced by stand-alone DVD recorders
    myself, so I don't know the details. However, I would assume that merely
    cloning the DVD on another DVD without changing any of the data in the
    process in any way won't do. You will probably need to re-author the
    disc (i.e. import the MPEG-2 video clips from the original disc and
    create the standard DVD video data structures around them that normal
    DVD video players would expect to see) using a DVD authoring
    application. Whether Nero contains sufficient tools for this, I don't
    know, but there are several DVD authoring applications on the market.
    Google for "DVD-lab", "Ulead DVD Workshop", and "Adobe Encore DVD", for
    example.

    I would expect this is a common problem among the users of stand-alone
    DVD recorders, so there are probably tutorials about this on the web.

    --
    znark

    Jukka Aho, Sep 30, 2006
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D0=EF=C5=DF=F6=A5=F8=A7=A9?=

    GMAN Guest

    In article <GOqTg.23042$>, "Jukka Aho" <> wrote:
    >ÐïÅßö¥ø§© wrote:
    >
    >>> If it has a Video_RM folder it was recorded on a set top recorder so
    >>> is probably in VR mode which does give problems in some older
    >>> players.
    >>>
    >>> If you have a DVD burner and Nero, it is a fairly easy process to
    >>> make a "proper" DVD from it.

    >> Can you explain what this set top recorder is and what VR mode is?

    >"Set top recorder" is a stand-alone device for recording DVDs - one that
    >works autonomously, without there being a PC involved. Much like a
    >normal DVD player, but with a recording capability.
    >
    >"VR mode" is supposedly some kind of intermediate or auxiliary data
    >format used by these stand-alone recorders to facilitate direct on-line
    >recording. The DVD video format was not originally designed with direct
    >on-line recording in mind.
    >
    >(The problem lies in that with stand-alone DVD recorders, arbitrary
    >video clips will be recorded on the disc, possibly in a number of
    >separate recording sessions, without knowing in advance how long they
    >will be or how many of them the final disc will contain. The original
    >DVD video format was designed on the presupposition that the contents of
    >the disc be fully known in advance and set in stone before any of the
    >data structures on the disc will be produced.)
    >
    >> I do have a DVD burner and Nero. Can you explain how to make a proper
    >> DVD from this? Would simply making a DVD copy using Nero make it
    >> right or do I have to tweak it somehow?

    >I have not had to deal with discs produced by stand-alone DVD recorders
    >myself, so I don't know the details. However, I would assume that merely
    >cloning the DVD on another DVD without changing any of the data in the
    >process in any way won't do. You will probably need to re-author the
    >disc (i.e. import the MPEG-2 video clips from the original disc and
    >create the standard DVD video data structures around them that normal
    >DVD video players would expect to see) using a DVD authoring
    >application. Whether Nero contains sufficient tools for this, I don't
    >know, but there are several DVD authoring applications on the market.
    >Google for "DVD-lab", "Ulead DVD Workshop", and "Adobe Encore DVD", for
    >example.
    >
    >I would expect this is a common problem among the users of stand-alone
    >DVD recorders, so there are probably tutorials about this on the web.

    With my Sony RDR-GX7 , i can choose either VR mode or DVD mode

    GMAN, Sep 30, 2006
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D0=EF=C5=DF=F6=A5=F8=A7=A9?=

    Quanta Guest

    > With my Sony RDR-GX7 , i can choose either VR mode or DVD mode

    This is true for almost all current recorders (with the possible exception
    of the $99 variety).

    Just pick DVD mode.

    Quanta, Sep 30, 2006
  11. Oldus Fartus wrote:>
    > To convert I generally use Nero Vision express. Choose Make Your Own
    > DVD-Video.
    > At the next screen choose Add Video Files and in the window which opens
    > navigate to the DVD holding your movies.
    > Open the Video_TS folder on the DVD and select all the VOB files except
    > for the VIDEO_TS.VOB, click on OPEN. (Ignore the BUP and IFO files.)
    > Nero will take some time, but eventually you will end up with your
    > titles showing in the Content window.
    > Click on Next, then follow your preferences in making a basic menu, or
    > choose to not have a menu, click Next again and follow your nose. All
    > the instructions are clearly shown.

    I did exactly as you said and it worked great. It works in his
    player too so he was very happy as well. Thanks for the tutorial!

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D0=EF=C5=DF=F6=A5=F8=A7=A9?=, Oct 3, 2006