    cause when i tried it, it didnt work

    Thank you
    Nathan

    mr_vocab, Apr 4, 2004

  2. mr_vocab

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mr_vocab" <> wrote in
    news:406f7826$:

    > a computer teacher at my school said that it is possiable to view
    > burnt files on a dvd on a cd rom ... is this possiable??? maybe with
    > software??? cause when i tried it, it didnt work

    You must have computer teachers like my bosses (I am a network technician
    for a couple of districts right now). Computer teachers don't generally
    know anything, otherwise they'd be in the field instead of teaching. DVDs
    and CDs use different wavelengths, as such a CDROM drive (or CDR/CDRW
    drive) can't possible read anything from a DVD. It probably won't even
    recognize a disc is in there.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Apr 4, 2004

  3. mr_vocab

    Thor Guest

    The reason it didn't work is because your computer teacher is either flat
    wrong, or you misunderstood him in some way. CDROM discs, and DVD discs
    require drives to use lasers at very different wavelengths. You cannot read
    files from a DVD in a CDROM drive. DVD-ROM drives can read CDs because they
    are designed to read using *multiple* laser wavelengths. The backward
    compatibility is deliberately designed into the DVD-ROM drive to make it
    possible to read the two different types of discs. CDROM drives aren't
    designed to be compatible with DVDs, and their technologies are sufficiently
    different that you can't just get lucky and have a CDROM drive that happens
    to read DVDs. The laser wavelength used is very different. Different enough
    that such dumb luck simply cannot happen. It would have to be a designed-in
    feature. And at that point, the drive would no longer be a CDROM drive. It
    would be a DVD-ROM drive.

    Thor, Apr 4, 2004
  4. mr_vocab

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    mr_vocab wrote:

    > a computer teacher at my school said that it is possiable to view burnt
    > files on a dvd on a cd rom ... is this possiable??? maybe with software???
    > cause when i tried it, it didnt work
    >
    > Thank you
    > Nathan

    Probably your teacher is referring to "mini-dvds" where the dvd file
    types and directory structure are burned to CD. Obviously only short
    movies can be burned in this way.

    Sounds like he may have described it badly to you, or you weren't really
    paying attention.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus