    TIA

    --
    Doug
    Doug Wright, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Doug Wright

    Bardo Guest

    "Doug Wright" <> wrote in message
    news:bjqjhm$2a1$1$...
    > If I put DVD-Video files onto a CD, roughly what proportion of standalones
    > will play
    > the disc?

    What you've described is called a 'MiniDVD' and - to be honest - there are
    very, very few DVD players out there that will play them. Your best bet is
    to reencode the DVD as an SVCD - 99% of modern DVD players will play them
    fine and the quality is still pretty good!

    Failing that, buy yourself a DVD writer - they're on £120 these days, after
    all!
    Bardo, Sep 11, 2003

  3. "Doug Wright" <> wrote in message
    > If I put DVD-Video files onto a CD, roughly what proportion of standalones
    > will play
    > the disc?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > Doug

    WWW.DVDRHELP.COM/DVDPLAYERS can lookup your specific model and see what
    happens. Look at the extra features, 2nd column, 2nd item from top.

    BTW, you can fit about all of 17:30 minutes on a CD with DVD quality files,
    so if you have something that short, it can work, but otherwise it's
    probably a loss. (If your typical DVD quality is 120minutes = 4.7gb, which
    is what the standard times are).

    The player support on my dvd player is actually improperly listed. It says
    it doesn't, but mine sort of does. It WILL play the VOB files, but it will
    NOT play the menu, and actually loads the disc as if it were a typical
    ISO9660 disc, showing the VIDEO_TS directory and the AUDIO_TS directory.
    Anonymous Joe, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Doug Wright

    Doug Wright Guest

    Anonymous Joe wrote:
    | "Doug Wright" <> wrote in message
    || If I put DVD-Video files onto a CD, roughly what proportion of
    || standalones will play
    || the disc?
    || TIA
    || --
    || Doug
    |
    | WWW.DVDRHELP.COM/DVDPLAYERS can lookup your specific model and see
    | what happens. Look at the extra features, 2nd column, 2nd item from
    | top.
    |
    | BTW, you can fit about all of 17:30 minutes on a CD with DVD quality
    | files, so if you have something that short, it can work, but
    | otherwise it's probably a loss. (If your typical DVD quality is
    | 120minutes = 4.7gb, which is what the standard times are).
    |
    | The player support on my dvd player is actually improperly listed.
    | It says it doesn't, but mine sort of does. It WILL play the VOB
    | files, but it will NOT play the menu, and actually loads the disc as
    | if it were a typical ISO9660 disc, showing the VIDEO_TS directory and
    | the AUDIO_TS directory.

    I know it wouldn't fit much, but I was going to teach myself some authoring,
    and thought I'd create a demo disc of sorts

    Thanks for the link - sites down at the moment though....

    --
    Doug
    Doug Wright, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Doug Wright

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:01:38 +0100, "Bardo" <> Gave us:

    >"Doug Wright" <> wrote in message
    >> If I put DVD-Video files onto a CD, roughly what proportion of standalones
    >> will play
    >> the disc?

    >What you've described is called a 'MiniDVD' and - to be honest - there are
    >very, very few DVD players out there that will play them. Your best bet is
    >to reencode the DVD as an SVCD - 99% of modern DVD players will play them
    >fine and the quality is still pretty good!
    >
    >Failing that, buy yourself a DVD writer - they're on ?120 these days, after
    >all!

    Not only that, but the data rate on a CD read is WAY too slow for DVD
    data streaming.
    DarkMatter, Sep 12, 2003