    but it doesn't see that disc either when I try to read it again. Any help
    would be appreciated!

    CJ
    Chris Arthers, Jan 21, 2008

  2. Chris Arthers

    brenda Guest

    Are you not supposed to format the disk before you record to it.
    Is there not an option to format disk so it will play on any machine.

    "Chris Arthers" <> wrote in message
    > I have recorded home movies on a DVD using a Philips HD recorder. Although
    > the DVD can be read on my next door neighbour's PC, I can't read it on my
    > own PC. I have a Pioneer dvr-106D drive. I already updated the firmware

    from
    > 1.5 to 1.7 but this didn't help. I have Windows XP Home Edition version
    > 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 build 2600. The drive thinks the DVD+RW disc is an
    > empty CD, and doesn't seem to see the DVD-R disc at all. I tried both

    DVD-R
    > and DVD+RW types. I did manage to burn a film on a DVD+RW disc using the

    PC,

    brenda, Jan 21, 2008

  3. Chris Arthers

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:22:20 GMT, "brenda" <>
    wrote:

    >Are you not supposed to format the disk before you record to it.
    >Is there not an option to format disk so it will play on any machine.

    No. This is all handled when you burn the CD or DVD by the application
    doing the burning.
    Evan Platt, Jan 21, 2008
  4. Chris Arthers

    chuckcar Guest

    "Chris Arthers" <> wrote in

    > I have recorded home movies on a DVD using a Philips HD recorder.
    > Although the DVD can be read on my next door neighbour's PC, I can't
    > read it on my own PC. I have a Pioneer dvr-106D drive. I already
    > updated the firmware from 1.5 to 1.7 but this didn't help. I have
    > Windows XP Home Edition version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 build 2600.
    > The drive thinks the DVD+RW disc is an empty CD, and doesn't seem to
    > see the DVD-R disc at all. I tried both DVD-R and DVD+RW types. I did
    > manage to burn a film on a DVD+RW disc using the PC, but it doesn't
    > see that disc either when I try to read it again. Any help would be
    > appreciated!
    >
    > CJ

    See if you can play a commercial DVD on it. If you can, then it's a
    problem with the disk being not properly written - check for
    scratches/dirt on the underside and *any* scrach of the upper coating.
    Otherwise, the drive/windows is the problem.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jan 22, 2008