    --
    S. Nufkin
    [I started life with nothing and still have most of it left]

    S.Nufkin, Oct 25, 2006

  2. S.Nufkin

    Chris Lim Guest

    S.Nufkin wrote:
    > The burner is a Matshita DVD-R UJ-846 (DVD Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +RDL)
    >
    > I was wondering if it was a DVD+R or DVD-R mismatch. Any suggestions?

    No, if your DVD drive handles both + and - then there's no mismatch.
    Have you tried it on any other computer? Some drives are more sensitive
    than others, especially with cheap media.

    Chris Lim, Oct 25, 2006

  3. S.Nufkin

    S.Nufkin Guest

    In article <>,
    "Chris Lim" <> wrote:

    > > The burner is a Matshita DVD-R UJ-846 (DVD Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +RDL)
    > >
    > > I was wondering if it was a DVD+R or DVD-R mismatch. Any suggestions?
    > >

    > No, if your DVD drive handles both + and - then there's no mismatch.
    > Have you tried it on any other computer? Some drives are more sensitive
    > than others, especially with cheap media.

    I just checked the problematic DVD on an HP DV2000 laptop....no problem.
    I also checked the problematic laptop, an iBook 12", with an identical
    DVD loaded with backed up photos and music and it was also OK.

    Looks like it's something about the way the DVD was burned.

    The DVDs are both Imation 2.4x DVD+R DL 8.5GB. Hopefully they aren't
    'cheap media'. Thanks for the tip anyway, Chris.

    S.Nufkin, Oct 26, 2006
  4. S.Nufkin

    Chris Lim Guest

    S.Nufkin wrote:
    > The DVDs are both Imation 2.4x DVD+R DL 8.5GB. Hopefully they aren't
    > 'cheap media'. Thanks for the tip anyway, Chris.

    Imation are pretty good quality AFAIK. The fact that it's a dual-layer
    DVD might be the cause though, seeing as DL media is still relatively
    new.

    Chris Lim, Oct 26, 2006
  5. S.Nufkin

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:58:57 +1300, "S.Nufkin"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "Chris Lim" <> wrote:
    >
    >> > The burner is a Matshita DVD-R UJ-846 (DVD Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +RDL)
    >> >
    >> > I was wondering if it was a DVD+R or DVD-R mismatch. Any suggestions?
    >> >

    >> No, if your DVD drive handles both + and - then there's no mismatch.
    >> Have you tried it on any other computer? Some drives are more sensitive
    >> than others, especially with cheap media.

    >I just checked the problematic DVD on an HP DV2000 laptop....no problem.
    >I also checked the problematic laptop, an iBook 12", with an identical
    >DVD loaded with backed up photos and music and it was also OK.
    >
    >Looks like it's something about the way the DVD was burned.
    >
    >The DVDs are both Imation 2.4x DVD+R DL 8.5GB. Hopefully they aren't
    >'cheap media'. Thanks for the tip anyway, Chris.

    AFAIK the best and most reliable and most compatible DL media is
    Mitsubishi. Some readers are more fussy about the media put into
    them, but that can be fixed with firmware upgrades, usually. Whether
    you can get a firmware upgrade for your laptop drive, I don't know.

    But overall, for best reliability it is better to compress to single
    layer disc. Much cheaper too.

    GraB, Oct 26, 2006