    for viewing?
    I am runnng Win7 x64 w/ Media Center and would like to show movies on my
    TV.

    Artreid, Jul 29, 2010

  2. Artreid

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 29/07/2010 in message
    <> Artreid wrote:

    >I hope I'm in the right NP or someone can point me to one.
    >
    >Is there a device that will allow one to send a DVD signal from a PC to a
    >TV for viewing?
    >I am runnng Win7 x64 w/ Media Center and would like to show movies on my
    >TV.

    An XBox will play DVD's, as will other manufacturers' equivalents.

    A Western Digital TV live is quite versatile in what it can display on a
    TV. It will either read data from an attached USB drive (not provided with
    the TV Live) or you can network it. I backed up my DVD's (using DVD
    Shrink) and put the resultant files on a USB drive and they all play fine
    on the TV Live. Full quality picture and sound.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 29, 2010

  3. It depends what connections your TV has and what outputs from the PC are
    available. It is just a question of connecting audio and video outputs
    from the PC to the TV. Nothing special is required. The TV is just a
    secondary monitor - the only monitor if you have a Home Theater PC (HTPC).

    If the TV has an HDMI input and your graphics card an HDMI output, or
    the graphics card can accept a DVI to HDMI converter, you can use that
    if you install a HDMI audio driver.

    Otherwise, you need separate video and audio cables.

    Dominic Payer, Jul 29, 2010
  4. Artreid

    barb bowman Guest

    Only if you are directly connected. DRM prevents doing this over the network.

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 03:11:25 -0400, "Artreid" <> wrote:

    >I hope I'm in the right NP or someone can point me to one.
    >
    >Is there a device that will allow one to send a DVD signal from a PC to a TV
    >for viewing?
    >I am runnng Win7 x64 w/ Media Center and would like to show movies on my
    >TV.

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

    barb bowman, Jul 29, 2010
  5. Artreid

    barb bowman Guest

    true, but you can't just put a DVD in the drive of a Windows 7 machine and auto
    magically send it over the network to another destination like a TV because DRM
    prevents this.

    barb bowman, Jul 29, 2010
  6. Artreid

    Artreid Guest

    Thanks I'll take a look for the HDMI connections...Art

    Artreid, Jul 29, 2010
  7. Artreid

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 29/07/2010 in message <> barb
    bowman wrote:

    >rue, but you can't just put a DVD in the drive of a Windows 7 machine and
    >auto
    >magically send it over the network to another destination like a TV
    >because DRM
    >prevents this.

    I've not tried that but it looks like another good reason to avoid Win7.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 29, 2010
  8. Artreid

    Carlos Guest

    Artreid,
    Modern LCD TVs have plenty of video input options.
    These are the options, from best to worst:
    HDMI
    VGA
    Component (3 video signals)
    Super Video (SVideo)
    Video
    Check your graphic card user manual or just look at the back of it and
    you'll see the different available connectors.
    The DVI connector can output HDMI and VGA, depending on the adapter you plug
    in there. Those adapters are quite cheap and usually come inside your graphic
    adapter carton box.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 29, 2010
  9. Artreid

    Bill P Guest

    "Artreid" <> wrote in message
    >I hope I'm in the right NP or someone can point me to one.
    >
    > Is there a device that will allow one to send a DVD signal from a PC to a
    > TV for viewing?
    > I am runnng Win7 x64 w/ Media Center and would like to show movies on my
    > TV.

    You can get very cheap DVD players these days which have USB ports so you
    can either play the DVD direct or copy it via your PC onto a memory stick
    and play it from there.

    Regards Bill

    Bill P, Jul 30, 2010